SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#228436 - 03/01/08 08:05 PM Is it possible Yamaha?
zuki Offline

Is it possible somehow to incorporate more lively (as in live) drums into the arranger series.

Leave the OS the way it is. Keep the wonderful arrangements and variation fluidity. CHANGE NOTHING but the drums - oh, maybe a better harmonizer?

Do this and you would probably rock the world.

Thanks,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#228437 - 03/01/08 08:17 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

I'm gonna'send you a style file. Put it into your user area, fire it up, then post how the drums sound. Use the second variation, which has an incredible guitar sound as well. IMHO it kicks ass. And, every place I've used it the audience is packing the dancefloors, and this includes the ones where there are lots of folks in wheel chairs. It's all in taking the time to learn how to tune your keyboard and utilizing some of the fantastic onboard programs. Send me an email so I can return mail the style file to you. Your email address is not in your information page. If anyone else wants it, send me an email at keyboard@bcpl.net

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-01-2008).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#228438 - 03/01/08 08:28 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
zuki Offline

Gary,

Looking forward to it

cjherrmann650@cs.com

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#228439 - 03/01/08 08:34 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps it is time to start REALLY pressuring the manufacturers to be complete in their MIDI codes to allow remote control of an arranger, and make the MIDI implementation flexible enough to route ANY Part to either Internal or External (or both!) Tones.

Then, you don't have to wait patiently (and wait, and wait, and...) for them to come out with the PERFECT arranger (which will only be perfect for YOU, anyway!). You merely combine two different arrangers into one Über-arranger that is prioritized for YOUR needs.

In fact, the return of the arranger module (that always WAS flexible in it's MIDI) would be even more welcome.

But without the codes... forget about it!

They managed to come together and standardize for MIDI in the early 80's. Let them know we need a standardized arranger control system. And make them realize this will increase their sales. Might almost double them! I would happily have two arrangers if the bloody things would just TALK to each other...

#228440 - 03/02/08 07:24 AM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

The style file has been sent to all that requested it.

Enjoy,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#228441 - 03/02/08 09:47 AM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Jim,

I'm gonna'send you a style file. Put it into your user area, fire it up, then post how the drums sound. Use the second variation, which has an incredible guitar sound as well. IMHO it kicks ass. And, every place I've used it the audience is packing the dancefloors, and this includes the ones where there are lots of folks in wheel chairs. It's all in taking the time to learn how to tune your keyboard and utilizing some of the fantastic onboard programs. Send me an email so I can return mail the style file to you. Your email address is not in your information page. If anyone else wants it, send me an email at keyboard@bcpl.net

Cheers,

Gary

I just loaded the style into the CVP 307. When Gary says it " KICKS ASS" he means it. Sounds terrific. My wife was up dancin and if I wasn't seated playing I would have been too. Nice work with that one Gary.

#228442 - 03/02/08 12:04 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, now you know it CAN be done, why not rip the style apart and find out exactly WHY this one rocks, and the others don't...?

#228443 - 03/02/08 03:48 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

For those of you who have recieved the style so far, which is about 30 people, fire it up, then select the Mixing Console button and go through each page, carefully examining what components, effects, etc.. make this file sound so good. I wish I could take credit for the tuning and tweaking of this style, but I only modified the MFDs to a small degree. The vast majority of the work was performed by an extremely talented lady in the U.K.. I consider her the master at this, and if I get the opportunity to visit there in the next year or two, I hope she will take time to teach this old man some new tricks.

Most Yamaha keyboards have some exceptional onboard programs that are not difficult to use. Style Creator, Song Creator and Sound (Voice) Creator offer the user a multitude of options that allow you to custom tune any style for that particular keyboard.

Jim, still havn't heard from you yet about the style. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#228444 - 03/02/08 04:13 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
F I wish I could take credit for the tuning and tweaking of this style, but I only modified the MFDs to a small degree. The vast majority of the work was performed by an extremely talented lady in the U.K.. I consider her the master at this, and if I get the opportunity to visit there in the next year or two, I hope she will take time to teach this old man some new tricks.

Gary sounds like Eileen's work

#228445 - 03/02/08 04:15 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
zuki Offline

Gary,

My equipment is not here. I'll keep you posted as soon as I try tomorrow night before my 6pm gig.

Thanks again,
zuki

#228446 - 03/02/08 04:50 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, Yamaha styles can be edited to the extreme for sure. The catch with me is, if I take the time to edit a couple, I have to take time to edit all of them I might want to use, because they make the factory settings sound even worse.
Now if they would come up with a page to edit OVERALL style settings, they would have something. Better yet, they could just make them sound good in the first place.
They have such beautiful arrangements, and flowing transitions between style parts, then you have to listen to those drums.
I played a four-hour job with the S900 today, using internal speakers only. It is so easy to use and unlike most people, I love the extra-light key touch. This was mostly piano and jazz guitar sounds, along with vocals. But after 15 straight nights playing the SD5, I just kept trying to adjust e.q., levels, effects, etc., including harmonizer. I finally just gave up and played the thing. The audience certainly didn't complain because the drums are outdated and the vocal harmonizer is "temperamental".
BTW, some very good points in this thread. The key is finding what works best for YOU!
I can certainly emphasize with Zuki. After playing PA800 for an hour, I wanted to throw up, or better yet, throw it at somebody. However I wasted a couple of months trying to use it, unsuited as it was for my purposes.
That doesn't mean someone else won't love it though!
DonM

#228447 - 03/02/08 06:49 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

Gotta agree with you on the overall edit thing Don. I have been trying to do some of this with Michael Bedesem's Midi Player program, which does batch conversions with Yamaha styles, but even after running them through the program you still have to tweak and tune them in the keyboard. Some day soon, someone will come up with a program that will allow you to batch tune the files the way you want, then load them into the keyboard as onboard styles. I'm looking forward to that day.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#228448 - 03/02/08 07:19 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
There is a lot of SYSEX commands that Yamaha styles use! The problem is that you can edit those only through a PC sequencer ( not on the arranger itself). After you spend a lot of time and grasp the SYSEX messeges, you get a KICK-ASS drum or bass...

This is true for other arrangers too!

#228449 - 03/04/08 03:12 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
mr9000 Offline

I cannot send you a e-mail gary, but i sure would like to have a looksy at this piece of work you created!

jseeseven3@msn.com

#228450 - 03/04/08 05:08 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
tyro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
There is a lot of SYSEX commands that Yamaha styles use! The problem is that you can edit those only through a PC sequencer ( not on the arranger itself). After you spend a lot of time and grasp the SYSEX messeges, you get a KICK-ASS drum or bass...

This is true for other arrangers too!

Hi Hitman,
Where can we get the SYSEX program?
Is it easy to learn and use?
thanks
tyro

#228451 - 03/05/08 08:01 AM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

Mr9000,

You have mail!

Enjoy,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#228452 - 03/05/08 08:14 AM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
travlin'easy Offline

Tyro,

There are lots of inexpensive PC sequencer programs available, of Power Tracks Pro immediately comes to mind. Do a Google search and you'll find some really good prices.

The following is a breif explanation of Sysex commands that is currently posted at http://www.createsongstyles.com

For those of you new to midi data and venturing into editing in sequencer progs for the first time.
I thought a short explanation of System Exclusive (Sys-Ex) may be helpful .
Those of you that already know all this please forgive me for teaching you to suck eggs.

Sys-Ex strings are as their name implies messages to midi devices (including keyboards) that are only understood by a specific device or manufacturer (/model in some cases)
If your Keyboard doesn’t recognize it as one of its own it will ignore it and not bother to read it. This is essential to stop keyboards becoming confused by data they don’t know what to do with.

Having just said that ,A few kinds of Sys-Ex strings are understood by almost every instrument or MIDI-device, some of these are:

1. GM Reset (understood by every GM-compatible instrument)
Sys-Ex String: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

2. Roland GS Reset (Understood by all Roland GS instruments)
Sys-Ex String: F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7

3. Yamaha XG reset (Understood by all Yamaha XG instruments)
Sys-Ex String: F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7

So what do they mean and how does the device know it’s for say a Yamaha kb.
You will have noticed that messages are in fact in Hexadecimal (don’t Worry)
Most documentation will show in the form (nnH) I will not bother with the H just remember we are talking Hex

ALL Sys-Ex start FO (F null) This means that the following will be in Sys-Ex
Format

All Sys-Ex end F7 This means end of Sys-Ex and if checksum is right execute command.

The second pair of numbers are normally the manufactures id See list below For some!
Gm Reset above 7E is universal.

40H Kawai Musical Instruments Mfg.Co.,Ltd
41H Roland Corporation
42H Korg Inc.
43H Yamaha Corporation
44H Casio Computer Co.,Ltd.
46H Kamiya Studio Co.,Ltd.
47H Akai Electric Co.,Ltd.
48H Victor Company Of Japan,Ltd
4BH Fujitsu Ltd
4CH Sony Corporation
4EH Teac Corporation
50H Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.
51H Fostex Corporation
52H Zoom Corporation
54H Matsushita Communication Industrial Co.,Ltd.
55H Suzuki Musical Instruments Mfg.Co.,Ltd.
56H Fuji Sound Corporation Ltd.
57H Acoustic Technical

The third pair of numbers is The model id Not used by all manufacturers

The forth pair is The device id and is used to show which device in your system should receive the message if say you had 2 keyboards from the same manufacture connected via
midi.
There is also one special device id 7FH this is often known as a broadcast
It means that every device in your system will receive the message.
This is the end of the part of the message to determine which device the message is for.

The rest of the message
This part contains the 'real' Sys-Ex data. Consists of a variable amount of bytes, depending on the setting you want to change. The data that is needed here is different for every instrument. You will have to use your manual for this. Look up in the tables what you want to do and place those bytes here.

Followed By The Checksum
This is also a part of Sys-Ex that not every manufacturer uses. The checksum is used as a control number that the instrument uses to determine if the message is received correctly. If the received checksum does not correspond with the number the instrument has calculated Itself, than the message is ignored and nothing changes. This is to prevent unwanted changes. Unfortunately the way the checksum is calculated is also different for almost every manufacturer.

Ok hope you find some of this useful. But you should be able to tell from the above at least if the Midi file was intended for your make of keyboard.
Roland Files for the GS set contain amongst other things an all notes off message after each note, sent as midi events cntr this can cause havoc on some keyboards. So at least you will know what to expect if the second pair of numbers (byte) is41H.

I have not gone into the full technical detail of Hex, as you don’t need to know this to use the above information, and I don’t want to post info on this forum that is over the top with technical detail.
I already feel some of my post are a bit too technical and don’t want to frighten people off.
If anyone feels this post inappropriate for this forum please let me know.
Also if anyone found useful
Just trying to help ,
Mike
Smiley
LATER Edit
The Model ID is not used by all manufacturers. For example Roland uses it in Their Sys-Ex format: Model ID 39H is a D-70, Model ID 16H is a D-110.
Yamaha does not use a Model ID in his Sys-Ex format.

A big thanks to Ron for posting this information at his site. Great explanation of Sysex commands.

Hittman, You'll find that the onboard Style Creator program, when used in conjuction with the Mixing Console, produced nearly identical results. As you stated, however, it takes some time, but this is time well spent whether it's on the Sysex codes or tweaking and tuning using the Style Creator.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#228453 - 03/05/08 04:08 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
thanks Gary, I got your email and as time permits I will turn on that tyros 2 and see if it still works. I have been using the E 80 every since it got here. Still trying to figure out a lot of it's OS,
Best to you and thank you for all that you do.
Bebop

#228454 - 03/05/08 05:52 PM Re: Is it possible Yamaha?
tyro Offline

Thanks Traveling Easy.
As time permits, I will learn more about it.
tyro

Quote:
Tyro,

There are lots of inexpensive PC sequencer programs available, of Power Tracks Pro immediately comes to mind. Do a Google search and you'll find some really good prices.

The following is a breif explanation of Sysex commands that is currently posted at http://www.createsongstyles.com

For those of you new to midi data and venturing into editing in sequencer progs for the first time.
I thought a short explanation of System Exclusive (Sys-Ex) may be helpful .
Those of you that already know all this please forgive me for teaching you to suck eggs.

Sys-Ex strings are as their name implies messages to midi devices (including keyboards) that are only understood by a specific device or manufacturer (/model in some cases)
If your Keyboard doesn’t recognize it as one of its own it will ignore it and not bother to read it. This is essential to stop keyboards becoming confused by data they don’t know what to do with.

Having just said that ,A few kinds of Sys-Ex strings are understood by almost every instrument or MIDI-device, some of these are:

1. GM Reset (understood by every GM-compatible instrument)
Sys-Ex String: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

2. Roland GS Reset (Understood by all Roland GS instruments)
Sys-Ex String: F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7

3. Yamaha XG reset (Understood by all Yamaha XG instruments)
Sys-Ex String: F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7

So what do they mean and how does the device know it’s for say a Yamaha kb.
You will have noticed that messages are in fact in Hexadecimal (don’t Worry)
Most documentation will show in the form (nnH) I will not bother with the H just remember we are talking Hex

ALL Sys-Ex start FO (F null) This means that the following will be in Sys-Ex
Format

All Sys-Ex end F7 This means end of Sys-Ex and if checksum is right execute command.

The second pair of numbers are normally the manufactures id See list below For some!
Gm Reset above 7E is universal.

40H Kawai Musical Instruments Mfg.Co.,Ltd
41H Roland Corporation
42H Korg Inc.
43H Yamaha Corporation
44H Casio Computer Co.,Ltd.
46H Kamiya Studio Co.,Ltd.
47H Akai Electric Co.,Ltd.
48H Victor Company Of Japan,Ltd
4BH Fujitsu Ltd
4CH Sony Corporation
4EH Teac Corporation
50H Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.
51H Fostex Corporation
52H Zoom Corporation
54H Matsushita Communication Industrial Co.,Ltd.
55H Suzuki Musical Instruments Mfg.Co.,Ltd.
56H Fuji Sound Corporation Ltd.
57H Acoustic Technical

The third pair of numbers is The model id Not used by all manufacturers

The forth pair is The device id and is used to show which device in your system should receive the message if say you had 2 keyboards from the same manufacture connected via
midi.
There is also one special device id 7FH this is often known as a broadcast
It means that every device in your system will receive the message.
This is the end of the part of the message to determine which device the message is for.

The rest of the message
This part contains the 'real' Sys-Ex data. Consists of a variable amount of bytes, depending on the setting you want to change. The data that is needed here is different for every instrument. You will have to use your manual for this. Look up in the tables what you want to do and place those bytes here.

Followed By The Checksum
This is also a part of Sys-Ex that not every manufacturer uses. The checksum is used as a control number that the instrument uses to determine if the message is received correctly. If the received checksum does not correspond with the number the instrument has calculated Itself, than the message is ignored and nothing changes. This is to prevent unwanted changes. Unfortunately the way the checksum is calculated is also different for almost every manufacturer.

Ok hope you find some of this useful. But you should be able to tell from the above at least if the Midi file was intended for your make of keyboard.
Roland Files for the GS set contain amongst other things an all notes off message after each note, sent as midi events cntr this can cause havoc on some keyboards. So at least you will know what to expect if the second pair of numbers (byte) is41H.

I have not gone into the full technical detail of Hex, as you don’t need to know this to use the above information, and I don’t want to post info on this forum that is over the top with technical detail.
I already feel some of my post are a bit too technical and don’t want to frighten people off.
If anyone feels this post inappropriate for this forum please let me know.
Also if anyone found useful
Just trying to help ,
Mike
Smiley
LATER Edit
The Model ID is not used by all manufacturers. For example Roland uses it in Their Sys-Ex format: Model ID 39H is a D-70, Model ID 16H is a D-110.
Yamaha does not use a Model ID in his Sys-Ex format.

A big thanks to Ron for posting this information at his site. Great explanation of Sysex commands.

Hittman, You'll find that the onboard Style Creator program, when used in conjuction with the Mixing Console, produced nearly identical results. As you stated, however, it takes some time, but this is time well spent whether it's on the Sysex codes or tweaking and tuning using the Style Creator.

Cheers,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online