SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#228369 - 03/01/08 09:13 AM Is There A Board That Does This?
Krychek Offline

I have a Yam psr 8000. When you create a "custom" style, you select a "root" chord to play with.A certain page in the manual lists all the chords and scale notes you can use.

This a limiting factor. You can't just punch in any old bass riff, no matter which chord you use.

Back in the day Technics boards, however, would let you do exactly that.

But they are no more.

Is there a board (other than current Motif...I was thinking "arranger')nowadays that will do this?

#228370 - 03/01/08 10:02 AM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just about any mid priced arranger keyboard will read any inversion and almost any chord..and slash chords with any bass note you desire..

#228371 - 03/01/08 10:37 AM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Fran is quite correct; Arrangers have come a long way since the PSR 8000 was released.
Pop along to your local dealer and try a few, you will be amazed at their capabilities when compared to the PSR 8000

Bill

#228372 - 03/01/08 02:34 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill and Fran hit the nail on the head--most of the mid to high-end boards will do this with ease. And, as Bill said, check them out at the dealer--you'll be amazed at the advancements since the 8000.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#228373 - 03/01/08 02:38 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think he is referring to the notes and chords you should use when making a custom style.

Ian

#228374 - 03/01/08 06:41 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
Krychek Offline

Thanks for the replies!

....as Ianmcnll guessed, yes, I am referring to the notes and chord you use when making a custom style.

In the manual they show a page full of various "C' chords. You select the one that closely matches the notes you want to play.

So if I wanted to do a boogie bass line of C,E,G,B-flat I would then use chord C7-13 or maybe C7-7th., or a couple of others.

However I'm not allowed to stray too far from the flock on these. If I put in a scale note that isn't as advertised it comes out "effed'up.

By the above posts I take it that this is no longer an issue on more recent Yammaha boards?

By the way I like the psr8000 from a "sound" point of view. It can still hold it's own with the newer stuff. The piano and elec guitar sounds are a little anaemic...but other than the problem I'm talking about , it's o.k. basically.

At present I'm unable to locate a person in any of the music/equip shops in this area who's technical knowledge of the boards they sell goes any further than " May I help you?" As soon as I mention the words "composer/sequencer", the blood drains out of their face and they flit off to help another person pick out the right color Kazoo.

#228375 - 03/02/08 03:30 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
Krychek Offline

Keeping the above posts in mind, I downloaded the Tyros manual and had a look in their Custom Style creator section. What I found was there is absolutely no difference. (Tyros defaults to CM7,so does mine, Tyros uses certain notes and scale notes depending on the version of "c" chord you use, so does mine.)

I did run into a guy that was a whiz-kid at demoing the newest Motif. Apparently the Motif will let you do damn near anything you want and faster than an arranger board.
At least the way the guy demoed it , it looked incredibly easy to do. On the other hand, after talking to ny brother (who has been a pro musician for years and played with a lot of top performers on their c.d.'s, and who also has owned more boards than I've seen), he told me that synths are fairly complicated to use and there is basically a big learning curve involved.But I have to say I fell in love with the Motif. However I'm not sure how big a learning curve is actually involved.
The Motif has some jaw-dropping samples on it including a stunning Fender Rhodes 70's piano which sounds better than the original.

#228376 - 03/04/08 10:31 AM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
When creating a custom style you should stick with CM7 unless you are creating a style for a specific song. Then put in your root and dont try to use this style for other songs. You could have 3 or 4 version of all your user styles if you wanted to.

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#228377 - 03/04/08 12:08 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I haven't felt the need to make any custom styles since so many are readily available for Yamaha, but back when I did, including PSR8000, seems I was able to create any bass line I wanted with the default settings at CM7.
DonM

#228378 - 03/04/08 12:18 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I haven't felt the need to make any custom styles since so many are readily available for Yamaha, but back when I did, including PSR8000, seems I was able to create any bass line I wanted with the default settings at CM7.
DonM

There's no difference in that particular feature between the 8000 and the T2... (I owned both).

Chony

#228379 - 03/04/08 07:14 PM Re: Is There A Board That Does This?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Krychek,
I did end up checking one of the Big Band styles with a walking bass,
Chord CV 1 was set up as a Cmaj. Setting was set as Parallel.
Notes included in Bass track CDEFGAB
CV2 CMAJ7th CDEFGAB
CV3 C7 had A# instead of B.

best wishes
Rikki

[http://www.createsongstyles.com/forum/index.php?topic=4394.0
QUOTE]Originally posted by Krychek:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >