SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#227960 - 02/26/08 10:23 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
A few of you have mentioned that I should just change to the Korg ... I dunno ... I have a Korg Pa1x side by side with my T2 right now, and I seriously think that the only reason that they have any business is because of their drum samples. The Yamaha is (IMO) better in almost every department.

I did notice an advantage on many of the Korg's sounds, in that they are not over-EQed like on the Yamaha. Although I don't like the sounds themsleves, they at least have a thickness, a body to them, compared with the more tinny quality of Yamaha's sounds. Classic example for comparison is the brass and trumpets.

Chony

#227961 - 02/27/08 01:02 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
apologies.
I didn't read your post correctly.
i was assuming you were refferring to melody sounds wheras you want to replace the bass & drums in a style track ??
If so,
I tried a similar setup with my psr 1500 & sd2 sound module.

I had no problem editing the styles so that the correct program & bank changes were called up.

Where I did run into problems was, the psr midi setting for midiing up external gear. The setting is for "all the style tracks" to play internally or externally. You can't assign the bass & drums to external & the rest of the style tracks to be played internally.

This was an immense problem for my sd2 because it doesn't have any buttons to mute individual midi channels ie I needed to be able to mute all the channels except for bass & drums.

Even if I was able to mute the rest of the channels , there was still no way to mute the drums & bass in the psr itself.
I'd be getting both the psr & the sd2 playing the bass & drum sounds.

There was a way of tricking the psr not to play the internal drum sounds by choosing a non existent bank. The SD2 does it's bank changes via MSB instead of LSB & MSB. Doubt that would work with a motif??

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]I'm thinking of buying a Motif rack to replace the annoying sounds on the T2 - mainly the bass and drums, but I want to be sure - will it work? Has anyone tried it?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227962 - 02/27/08 01:13 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Chony,
apologies.
I didn't read your post correctly.
i was assuming you were refferring to melody sounds wheras you want to replace the bass & drums in a style track ??
If so,
I tried a similar setup with my psr 1500 & sd2 sound module.

I had no problem editing the styles so that the correct program & bank changes were called up.

Where I did run into problems was, the psr midi setting for midiing up external gear. The setting is for "all the style tracks" to play internally or externally. You can't assign the bass & drums to external & the rest of the style tracks to be played internally.

This was an immense problem for my sd2 because it doesn't have any buttons to mute individual midi channels ie I needed to be able to mute all the channels except for bass & drums.

Even if I was able to mute the rest of the channels , there was still no way to mute the drums & bass in the psr itself.
I'd be getting both the psr & the sd2 playing the bass & drum sounds.

There was a way of tricking the psr not to play the internal drum sounds by choosing a non existent bank. The SD2 does it's bank changes via MSB instead of LSB & MSB. Doubt that would work with a motif??

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]I'm thinking of buying a Motif rack to replace the annoying sounds on the T2 - mainly the bass and drums, but I want to be sure - will it work? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for the info. It's a realy pity the Yamaha's don't have more MIDI flexibility. I would be able to put together a KILLER system with the best of all worlds.

Chony

#227963 - 02/28/08 01:50 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
to the genesys Offline

Does any one know when the Motif xs rac will be on the market?

#227964 - 02/28/08 08:57 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Rikki, something you said caught my attention!
Do you mean you can midi out of the Yamaha into the SD2 and have the SD2 play all the style parts transmitted from the Yamaha?
Also the right hand parts?
I'll bet that sounded great! Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
DonM

#227965 - 02/28/08 04:32 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don,
yes, the sd2 can be midied up to a psr.
I had my sd2 midied to my psr1500 for the odd user style only. I didn't persist with it after i bought the PA800 , as it's a far better controller .

Problem with using the sd2 and psr combo with internal styles would be the xg drum mapping,( sd2 is gm2 as you're probably aware). You'd also have problems with megavoice styles.

I only tried using it with converted user styles. Provided they have gm drum mapping the only other thing you'd need to do is change the bank & program changes to suit the sd2.
As far as melody voices go, you'd only be able to use the default gm bank. There is no way of programming the correct bank changes for melody voices.

It worked the following way.
PSR provided the style data, options for sound play
Internal psr for melody tracks/ sd2 for ALL style tracks.
Internal psr for style tracks/sd2 for melody tracks ( default GM bank only)
SD2 for melody & style tracks.

My initial idea for trying it was so that I'd have access to the ketron Live Drums for any of my sd1 styles I wanted to convert. Ended up being rather a lot of work as I had to convert the styles using midi to style. EMC couldn't convert the Live Drums drums correctly.

If I'd just wanted to use it as an alternative normal gm2 soundsource for user styles, it probably would have worked ok.

I'd have to get my thinking cap on as to how I midied the 2 together & the settings I used. It was quite a while back.

As I said though, really only suitable for user styles.

best wishes
Rikki.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Rikki, something you said caught my attention!
Do you mean you can midi out of the Yamaha into the SD2 and have the SD2 play all the style parts transmitted from the Yamaha?
Also the right hand parts?
I'll bet that sounded great! Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227966 - 02/28/08 10:02 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Rikki, don't go to any trouble. I was just curious as to how it worked and sounded.
I'm very happy with the SD5 right now.
DonM

#227967 - 03/03/08 04:15 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
chony Offline

Rikki,

I just did a little research and discovered that SD2 thing
you were talking about. It was just a bunch of letters and a number until now, and I didn't pay much attention. But now that I know what it is:

They say that the Ketron has the best drums - even better than the Korg. Would you agree?

Also, when you hooked it up to your PSR, did it work well? When you muted the PSRs drums (using that workaround you described), did it sound good?

I just noticed that you are Australian! I'll be in Sydney for a month late April, maybe we'll meet!

Chony

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online