SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#227864 - 02/27/08 03:41 PM Re: Capt Russ what kind of Guitar is this?......
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, I use a small guitar when I play B-3 to play solos during tunes. I have used one called an Austin Hatchet for years, and was looking for a replacement. I ordered one of these things and was waiting for an announced jazz version...neck humbucker and piezo. Got a little alarmed when I told the rep that it (the jazz instrument) should have ebony or similar fretboard. That was news to him.

Anyway, this thing came in. Intonation is out with no fix. It's out of tune at the first fret and then close at the octive. The nut is mounted crooked. There is a 1 mm space between the nut and the neck. The P-90 pick-up has no height adjustment at all and is open at the back. The bridge is only adjustable in height and is difficult. The strap arms are too long. The list goes on and on. Basically, it's a good idea executed very badly. I can't imagine a real luthier ever got involved in the process, and there looks like there was no QC at the offshore factory. It is chock full of basic guitar builder screw-ups.

Damn shame, because it's a good concept and, for me, at least, would have been a usable axe for jazz gigs.

What a bummer. It's a piece of crap for multiple reasons. Not even worth trying to repair.

R.

#227865 - 02/27/08 04:13 PM Re: Capt Russ what kind of Guitar is this?......
Dnj Offline

Russ thans for the reply....I knew this couldnt get by you I was wondering if the design was difficult to play with out the weigth at the body.......

have your tried the stick ?
http://www.stick.com/instruments/

#227866 - 02/27/08 04:33 PM Re: Capt Russ what kind of Guitar is this?......

Yea, donny, I've had a chapman stick for years...a REAL challenge. With a LOT of rehearsal, you can play seamless bass/lead or chords. Great specialized instrument.

Have a job in 25 minutes across town...see you folks later!

R.

#227867 - 02/28/08 09:59 AM Re: Capt Russ what kind of Guitar is this?......

Just got authorization to send the Ministar back. A shame. It would have been good as a guitar to leave strapped on while playing keys.

Have told the company of the many problems, and maby they'll get help in a re-design and QC at the factory. Actually, it was pretty comfortable and balanced with the strapmechanism. Everything else...UGH!

R.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online