SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227571 - 02/22/08 03:39 PM Changing of the Guard...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A few months ago one of the ADs I worked with for the past two years moved to a new location. A couple months prior to her leaving her position at an upscale assisted living center she booked a half-dozen jobs for 2008. After playing the December job she departed for her new position, which may have been a mistake on her part. The person who eventually took over was previously a volunteer at the facility, a person that I had only had seen on a single occasion during the past two years.

In January, I was performing at a nearby location and decided to stop by and meet with the NEW AD. A lady, probably about 50 to 55 years of age, and with an attitude you cannot imagine, told me she was the Acting AD and she would talk with me. I was very curtious, opened my 2008 calander book and tried to verify the contracted dates for this year. The first thing she said was "Well, that was with the previous AD and with new owners and me as the interum AD you will have to deal with me." I politely informed her that I had already reserved the dates for 2008, and despite the fact the previous AD had left for greener pastures, the contract with the facility was still valid. I left, went to my nearby job and thought nothing more of the encounter.

I performed at this facility on Valentines Day, and just prior to the performance she called on at least three occasions to tell me that there were a couple residents having 60th anniversaries--no problem. I did the job, handed her my usual invoice, then went to the next job. Nothing unusual.

Today, she called saying that she was processing the invoice and it was for too much money, claiming she only agreed to $75 for the one-hour performance. I told her that I never talked to her about the amount, and the the contract for that date was made with the previous AD several months ago for $100. She became very irate at that point. Next, I told her that she also owed me $100 for the previous December job, an invoice that had been faxed to her as OVERDUE. She became more irate, claiming she never recieved the fax, yet at the Valentines Day job she said the faxed invoice was being processed and I should be getting a check soon.

At this point she said she was terminiating the conversation, and would likely terminate all future dates. I told her that was just fine, as long as payment was made for the contracted dates. She said "I ain't payin' for dates I didn't make!" I then asked her what part of the word CONTRACT she didn't understand? She hung up.

I have a job near the facility in another two weeks, and at that time I intend to stop by and talk with the facility administrator about the problem. I'll be taking a copy of the contract with me, which outlines the 2008 performance dates. Hopefully, this will end the problem, but maybe not.

My question is: Has anyone on the forum ever had to to take legal action for early cancellation of a contract? And, if so, what was the outcome? I've been in this business for a lot of years, but this is the first time I've had a problem along these lines.

Thanks,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227572 - 02/22/08 04:08 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary,
You'll have to proove loss. If you don't replace those dates, they are liable for them, but in all honesty .... it'll be more agg and $$$$ than the award you MAY receive.
If she's really a witch to deal with ... blow it off, and move on. You have no trouble selling your terrific services, so go where the pasture is greener.
Life's too short to fight.
IS she wrong? YES
Will you win? MAYBE
Is it worth it? Not in my eyes.

#227573 - 02/22/08 04:20 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
Dnj Offline

Gary.......if you have contracts for the 2 previous jobs......take them to the Administrator and show them what was contracted they are liable for those charges. The jobs she cancelled in the future depends on what cancellations clauses you have in your contract regarding how far in advance a client can cancel without being responsible for them eg: 60 days /90 days /120 days in advance etc.
Add that to what Dave said above & let us know how you make out.

#227574 - 02/22/08 04:59 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Life's too short to fight.
IS she wrong? YES
Will you win? MAYBE
Is it worth it? Not in my eyes.

Wise words from Dave.

My regards,amigo
Chico

#227575 - 02/22/08 05:31 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, I have contracts for the two previous performance dates, and they were also sent invoices, so I guess I'll be able to collect on those two. The other half dozen, yep, you guys are right. I'll just write them off. She really pissed me off with her attitude, though. Life's just too short to mess with trivial things like this. Think I'll mix up a big margaretta.

Thanks guys,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227576 - 02/22/08 05:37 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
Dnj Offline

When you talk to the administrator or higher personally convey the AD's attitude with you & hopefully she won't be there much longer or after strong a reprimand will have learned their lesson & begging you to return at a much higher price..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-23-2008).]

#227577 - 02/22/08 05:37 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Gary,

It seems the assisted living type jobs all have the same problem - turnover of employees. I have two now that I have to start all over with - same reason. At least mine have people who don't really want to make changes - just keep things going.

I agree with everyone - more trouble then it is worth -
Hammer

#227578 - 02/22/08 05:55 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Gary, sorry to hear about your predicament. I trust you'll 'start spreadin' the news' to other performers in your area about this individual. Word of mouth works both ways.

Hopefully, when the residents get wind of why you haven't been appearing there lately, they or their families might start making negative noises about the witch woman - it's quite possible she's not winning any brownie points in other areas of her new job and will likely be moving on to somewhere else herself.

Hope things work out for you.

#227579 - 02/22/08 06:10 PM Re: Changing of the Guard...
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
What Goes Around ... Comes Around!!!

#227580 - 02/23/08 08:22 AM Re: Changing of the Guard...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary,

I've only had one problem with an AD. I went to the administrator and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Occasionally I've run into a misunderstanding about a date and, depending on the facility, I've usually let it go.

Good luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online