SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#227368 - 02/20/08 07:29 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess I'm going to have to play one to find out for sure... It sure sounds pretty whacked out to me (unintuitive, if you like ).

The way the Roland's work is that you hold down a chord with your left hand (any chord) and you have about two octaves or so to play it higher or lower (inversions and/or octaves). The arranger remaps that chord to a voicing that the guitarist would play, in that section of the neck. Play another chord (of the same type) in the same area, get another accurate guitar voicing, not just a barré jump.

Different notes in the RH area do the strumming types (but first six notes with the actual single notes on it, for fingerpicking), up down hard soft, rakes, mutes, down-strokes on note down, up-stroke on release (VERY musical!), etc., but the squeaks are triggered by moving the chord, no need to play them! Taps and knocks round out the range.

But here's where they messed up... Because of Roland's OS (no-one knows if it is stubbornness or a patent issue), there is always ONE non-transposing track (the Drum Track). So you can't put the note pattern that your RH would have played to get a particular strum and rhythm pattern into the Style Part, to trigger the Guitar Mode chord...! (Or as you change chords, the Track will transpose, and those strum TYPE notes will get shifted around to something totally different)

So it appears on the one hand, the Roland system seems FAR more 'live play' orientated... you actually CAN play some pretty decent sounding guitar strumming and picking in realtime on the keyboard, and it all be guitar accurate, the Korg system, while seeming impossible to play 'live' to create the patterns, once you have done it offline, you CAN use the part as a trigger track for the Guitar mode in Style Play.

It seems like we need a mind-meld between the two systems... Roland's ease of performing the strums in the first place, and Korg's ability to take that performance as a Style Track to trigger it automatically.

Typical! Two half-assed solutions instead of one integrated one

With any luck, these aren't patented systems, and one of the two will finish the job.... Any takers?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-20-2008).]

#227369 - 02/20/08 08:10 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bill.... yes, some of that seems to make sense.

The thing is, although it's nice to have these as an option, I envision simply choosing the sound as an automatic map to the appropriate NTT, and also the ability to automatically figure out if a part is a single line (where you want the line preserved) or a chord part (where you want voice leading to make the chord changes more smooth. And preferably, both in the same part!

Some kind of background scan for this ought to be possible. As we all know, having endless possibilities is great for the tweak-heads amongst us, but even better is the machine taking care of all this in the background.

It's kind of like the T2/MotifXS SA controversy... The MotifXS players, despite having access to the SA nuts and bolts of control, actually PREFER the T2 versions of the sounds, where the SA is uneditable, but done right in the first place!

After all, what most of us want to do is simply concentrate on the chord input, and playing a great lead and comp. We don't want to have to worry about HOW the guitar part becomes something that amazes us... we don't want to have to think about how to get the auto Rhodes part to voice-lead smoothly. We just want the machine to do it!

I think the technology is there, now. It only requires the manufacturers to halt working on turning the arranger into a DAW (if we need one of those, most of us already got one!), and get back to concentrating on making a better ARRANGER.

Excuse me for wanting that!

#227370 - 02/21/08 07:27 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
parsen Offline

Loc: Staten island, NY,US
I'm new to this forum.... just curious to know if CD-RW drive is pre-installed in PA2Xpro... ( I found the following info in a well-known dealer's website...." The MP3 encoder and CD-RW drive are pre-installed on he Pa2x Pro for even more flexibility, giving you the ability to create, shape, perform, and complete finished versions of your songs in one unit." )

#227371 - 02/21/08 09:12 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Parsen,

The Pa2xpro does have MP3 encoder built in, but NOT he CD-Rom. However, with 3 usb 2.0 ports, it's easy to add on an external CD-ROM drive.

Al

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#227372 - 02/21/08 09:26 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
parsen Offline

Loc: Staten island, NY,US
thanks Kbrkr. ( wonder why they post such an info. )

#227373 - 02/21/08 12:28 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
After 8 years of Yamaha keyboards, I have finally broke ranks and purchased a new Pa2xpro. Wow, really nice keyboard.

I just went to the music store to check out some keyboards and low and behold, they had the Pa2xpro there. After spending some quality time with it, I bought their last one.

I'm so confused by the operating system. I actually have to READ the manual! Yikes!!!!

This is so much fun though.

There will be an update in a few days for the Pa2xpro and PA800. I'm hoping it's more than just bug fixes and will includes new features.

#227374 - 02/21/08 12:54 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Greenkid,
is there going to be for the PA800 as well as for the PA2X??
I vaguely remember reading something up about an update for the pa2x.
Great if there's a new one for both.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by greenkidd:

There will be an update in a few days for the Pa2xpro and PA800. I'm hoping it's more than just bug fixes and will includes new features.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227375 - 02/21/08 02:47 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Greenkid,
is there going to be for the PA800 as well as for the PA2X??
I vaguely remember reading something up about an update for the pa2x.
Great if there's a new one for both.

best wishes
Rikki

From Korg Italy/Paolo Tramannoni
on Feb 21st. He's talking about Pa2x & PA800.

Rob,

I got them. Some have already been fixed in the new OS (due in a few days). Some others (unnoticed until now) are for the following relase.

Paolo

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32194

#227376 - 02/21/08 07:25 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Pa2xpro
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Greenkidd,
thank you. It's always handy to get an update,.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by greenkidd:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online