SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#227209 - 02/16/08 01:31 PM Tyros 2 user memory
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Can anyone answer any of these questions I have in English.

1. How much user memory is there in the T2? What does it equal out to in styles, MFd files,created voices and reg files ?

2. I'd like to take some styles and remove some parts (guitars etc.) For when I'm working with other musicians. However I'd like to save them into the MFD so I can have a second version.with out the muted style parts when that particualar musician isn't playing on a particular gig.

Is there another option other than the on board user memory to actually make this happen smoothly.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#227210 - 02/16/08 01:35 PM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
Dnj Offline

Mikey ....just edit, take out parts etc ... of the styles & rename & save them in the Style Creator.

#227211 - 02/16/08 02:07 PM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Donny, do you know how much user memory is onboard and how much space would doing just that take up?

Once I do that will I be able to import it into the MFD?

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#227212 - 02/16/08 03:44 PM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Mikey:

The T2 has about 4.2 or 4.3 Megas of user RAM, keep in mind that this is for Songs/SMF/User styles, Registrations, user voices and User pads..so, the number will depend upon the size of each individual item.
I personally use only Registrations Banks, in my T2 I did installed the optional Hard Drive and 1 GIG RAM, this Ram is for TVN sounds that you load into the T2 (Multi-samples) and also for de Digital Recording Feature.
You also can use the USB drives, I recommend you to use the Registrations, because you can Mute and or re-orchestrate the style parts without going to edit into the Style creator, also change volumes, Pan, Filter, EQ, etc..
If you decide to make User styles, I would make a Folder and inside of it, put the Styles and Registrations you want to use, this way is almost no lag time to load, just about the same from the HD.
I Hope it helps you.
Manuel Dorantes from Phoenix Arizona

------------------
mdorantes

#227213 - 02/17/08 01:06 AM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
No real need to go through all that work for your purpose. Most styles have the same instruments in the same channel, so you can just turn off what you want, then go to

Functions>Style Setting>Style Change Behavior> Tempo>Hold and Part On/Off Hold.

These settings will always come up unless you do a hard reset.

This will hold your settings until you change them and they will continue to hold when changing styles in between songs.

If you have the Tempo and Part set to Reset, it will do just that when changing styles in between songs.

If you want to use the occasional style where the guitar and piano is switched, then you could edit that style and save it on your user memory and use it in your Music Finder.

It doesn't take much to fill up that user memory when combined with all the user files that can be saved there.

The thing with the occasional style where the guitar and piano is switched needs to be addressed by Yamaha. It is usually on the jazz combo styles only. I was going to list this on the T2 thread, but figured it would get lost with the way that thread went last time I checked

If you need help editing a style and saving it and putting it your Music Finder give me a call.

Best
Scott

#227214 - 02/17/08 01:16 AM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
chony Offline

Loc: New York
5 MB. Mine is full, and its not enough!

#227215 - 02/17/08 03:12 AM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
jwyvern Offline

Mikey, you can see for yourself how much User memory there is and how much you have left by pressing any style or voice button, & go to the User tab.Then push View (button 7 Top), then Property (button F). On My Ty2 it tells me there are 3.16MB total - ie. the allocation is just a bit more than 2 floppy disks.

Nowhere near enough for ongoing requirements. I only use the User as a sort of workspace - when working on styles, or voices it's useful for getting quick access & saves on try-out files & edits. Then when complete I transfer the "perfected" files to permanent storage- usually the USB stick. In fact all my Voices, Styles & Regs are on the stick and readily accessible from there, so the small User size doesn't have to be a major problem.

I realise to use User Styles in the MFD they have to be stored on the User drive - all the more reason not to use it for other things.

I don't use the MFD, but if I did I'd be tempted to save all the Favorite MFD songs to Registration button(s). So much more flexible for handling & editing styles and you can add any other changes you want such as Transpose which seems so popular a requirement at present- can even add a transpose within a song that way too. And any user styles you still want to use can be saved anywhere and immediately accessed by assigning the Style User buttons to them.
As long as they are saved in order, registrations can be just as convenient for access. I know one person who prefixes the name with the tempo so they display in tempo order. Using the expanded view reveals longer names (not unlike the MFD).

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 02-17-2008).]

#227216 - 02/17/08 08:58 AM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
I created a user file on my hard drive. Problem solved.

Jim

#227217 - 02/17/08 05:24 PM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
[B]Mikey, you can see for yourself how much User memory there is and how much you have left by pressing any style or voice button, & go to the User tab.Then push View (button 7 Top), then Property (button F). On My Ty2 it tells me there are 3.16MB total - ie. the allocation is just a bit more than 2 floppy disks.

Interesting. On my Ty2, it also says 3.16, if I do what you say, but when I save everything to my USB Flash Drive it actually measures 5.

Chony

#227218 - 02/18/08 05:07 AM Re: Tyros 2 user memory
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Interesting. On my Ty2, it also says 3.16, if I do what you say, but when I save everything to my USB Flash Drive it actually measures 5.

Chony

Chony,
I read somewhere that when custom styles based on presets are saved to User, Ty2 doesn't save all the data, just a reference to the style and any changes. But when copying to an external drive Ty2 has to export the full file to make sense.

Since I was curious I copied 5 preset styles to User and the free space reduced by only 6Kb. When I copied them out to USB stick, Windows recorded the total file size as 325Kb, & size on disk 352Kb- ie. almost 60x increase.
Maybe that is part of the reason for some discrepancies.

Taking the remaining files on my User (excluding preset styles):

Total avail. 3.16
Free space 0.42
So amount used by files according to Ty2= 2.74

According to Windows
File size (total)= 1.07
Size on disk = 2.94

The latter which takes into account the inefficiencies of fitting file sizes to sectors being fairly close to Ty2 estimate.

OK- Pretty nerdy I guess
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online