SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#226931 - 02/13/08 07:52 AM Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I know even before we discuss this that ultimately only I can decide. I have a Tyros 2 an Motif ES also, and have no intention of parting with either at this time.

In spite of what I read here, the T2 for me is an excellent board. The acoustic sounds are as good for my needs as any other hardware board. I won't debate that here because I trust what I hear and know what I like to hear. I have oodles of software and samples to supplement as well.

I elected not to upgrade to the Motif XS when I became aware that I could not use my AN150 and VL15 plug-ins in it. The plug-ins is one of the main reasons I did not unload my ES altogether in the past.

I kept the PA80 because I find the synth sounds an the editing engine to be more to my liking than either of the Yamaha boards I have. I can edit all from within and don't have to be hooked up to a computer at all to do detailed editing.

I don't care all that much about the Vocalizer. Also, my PA80 has a 5 gb Hard Drive that still has about 4 gb free. I should also let it out that I am probably one of the few that prefers the Korg OS over Yamaha's. I don't care much about sampling capabilities. I've always been of the opinion that dedicated samplers are the way to go for me.

The considerations at this point are :

Better sounds overall ? But is there a big enough difference for me ?

Styles that have better fills ( do the fills match the variations better ? )

Multipads that are actually useful ? Important to me as the PA80's are only useful to me as "on / off midi controllers.
I like to make and use my own.

I realize that media / storage device access is mcuh improved. I don't know how big a deal that will be for me..

Again,

I wish to hear only why it's worth (or not) worth to go from the PA80 to 800. What else am I missing..? difference wise between the two ? I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the my "arranger is better than yours" responses. I'm sure the Rolands, Ketrons, Mediastations... etc..... are great for those who use and swear by them. Again ... I prefer opinions on the differences between the PA80 an PA800.

Thanks

AJ

#226932 - 02/13/08 09:23 AM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

I also own a T2, I did upgrade my PA60, that is basically a PA80 minus Card s Vocalist and Organ drawbars...Sounds and Styles are the same, so, my PA800 is Leaps ahead as far goes sounds, New tone generation with the RX sounds, the styles are also much better, I guess because of the new tone generation make it pretty much like the difference between a regular TV vs a High Definition LCD/Plasma TV.....MUCH, much more Clear.
Since I got the PA 800 when first came out, I am very happy with my setup.
As a busy performer, I need LOTS of "colors" in sounds and styles, I spend time making my Registrations/Performances in my boards, so I can be fast to go from one to another, if you are picky as I am, you must customize your boards according to your playing style and needs, not matter what brand and model you may use.
I hope this can help you. From Phoenix Az.

Manuel
http://members.cox.net/arizonaballroom/Manuel.html

------------------
mdorantes

#226933 - 02/13/08 09:26 AM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AJ, it sounds like on the surface ..you would not gain a lot...If the vocalizer is not important to you[probably the biggest gain for the PA800]..

Added polyphony, is that enough for you to upgrade?

MP3 card option, does that interest you?

If my latter two points do not interest you..I would say keep the PA80..

#226934 - 02/13/08 11:30 AM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
If you dont use the sampler, you dont need the harmoniser, you dont have any issues about polyphony ....there doesnt seem much reason to change.

#226935 - 02/13/08 12:14 PM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One thing I noticed a LOT, when I moved from the G1000 to the G70 was the amazing speed up in voice response. On my G1000, you layer together two stereo sounds (in other words, each note triggers four voices) and play percussive sounds (marimba, glock, etc.) and start hammering big chords rapidly, you could hear a touch of subtle 'flamming' as the engine struggled to keep up with the input. It's a common flaw in most older gear... Kurzweil, Yamaha, Korg, they all suffered from it.

But my G70, you stack FIVE stereo voices together (ten voices per note) and pound away to your heart's content, not a trace of flamming. Perhaps an extreme example, but in practice it equates to feeling more 'connected' to the sound, even when using just one voice.

Not many have made any comment about this re. the new Korg's (but it is something a lot of slop players don't notice) but it MIGHT be worth checking out. It certainly has helped make me play better on the G70!

#226936 - 02/13/08 02:28 PM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ,
luv mine.
The multi pads work better than on a psr.
It has one extra sync function. They continue on from anywhere in the bar.
You hit pad on beat 2 of the bar in a style, the pad starts on beat 2 of it's bar rather than from the beginning.
Yes , they're useable. Create pads from midifiles, create pads from internal styles. Very simple. Create pads from grooves. Awesome. Haven't done that many yet , but being able to use audio drum loops & slice them for use in pads & styles is rather good. You also wouldn't have had the new "Guitar Mode". Used for style & pad creation. Had a brief look at the function, but haven't gotten round to working it out yet.
The controller capabilities are pretty good. Probably the same as on your PA80. Could never work out how you were able to control your softsynths from your korg, now I know. Didn't realize it could actually store Bank & Program changes for external instruments in it's sts's.

Actually discovered something odd the other day, i thought we were limited to 1 bar fills , not the case.
The keyboard is so flexible, you could virtually use a fill as an intro & vice versa, tap a fill, intro, ending,twice, they keep repeating like a variation.

I've virtually got the equiv. of what my One Man Band software could do in a keyboard, plus it's got pads.

If you get a chance, check one out, or at least have a look thru a manual, including the extended manual that has info on the groove function.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226937 - 02/13/08 05:33 PM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks for the responses.

I did demo it once when it first came out but I really wasn't able to go very deep into the OS. First impression was that it reminded me a lot of the PA80, albeit with a few new styles and sounds. I came away thinking that it has good acoustic sounds different than the Yamaha sounds but not necessarily better. I know I'll like the synth sounds.. much in the same way I like the MZ2000s, which is my main reason for keepin the MZ.

I would probably like the PA800 very much. Still, I'm not totally convinced that the upgrade is worthwhile for me.. so I won't consider buying one without trying it out again.

Still I'd like to decide relatively soon. The window for me to buy expensive gear will close a bit if I decide to retire from my day job ( I'm eligible to go in 9 more weeks but don't have to go until I want to ), unless I seek out more music jobs ( I still prefer a band setting vs OMB - not always so easy to do in todays world ) or I decide to do some other ( possibly light construction ) work.

If the worst case scenario is that I wind up keeping what I have... that's a pretty good problem to have. Even after 7 years I still appreciate the PA80. It's been a great board for me.

I remember when I was much younger and money was so tight back then. It took me what seemed like forever to save for a Polysix .. when I really wanted a CS80 ( that could have never happened for me back then ). Today I have a small studio full of gear, plus a virtual CS80 that sounds quite close to the real thing, along with many other great computer synths. For that and for livin long enough to be around to use this stuff.... I am truly grateful.

Regards

AJ

#226938 - 02/20/08 12:36 AM Re: Is the upgrade from a PA80 to PA800 worth it for me ?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Overall sound wise(IMHO) it's 20-25% better (mostly in Ac guitar,Piano,Reeds dept)(not as good as T2 guitars -both Ac and El).
since you have touch screen and more functional display -editiong is much easier.Styles - 25 -30 % better with similar behavior.

Multipads can play loops (unlike PA80-50-60),Like Yams.

If you like synth sounds ,fuctions - why not a used Triton (around $500 ) or triton Xtrmeme(used $900) which will be much better.You'll have more EFX,combi mode,APGTR,ribbon controller,realtime knobs ,better keys and so on.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 02-20-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online