SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226610 - 02/10/08 12:17 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Like DonM, it's 99% left hand chords, melody in the right hand. I've recently started doing some vocals and when singing use right hand fills or a midi file depending on the tune. IF I'm using a 76 key arranger I'll sometimes just turn off all arranger functions and play piano solo. I play a number of styles of music including 40s, 50s, 60s, some 70s, broadway show tunes. Genre include jazz, blues and country.

#226611 - 02/10/08 09:27 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
zuki Offline

100% left hand chords, expert mode/inverted bass default. My organ training (gotta learn those chords) paved way for an arranger marriage - love of my life

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#226612 - 02/11/08 03:12 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
95% left hand chords, expert mode, bass inversion. Like zuki, I love those chords! 5% full keyboard no style mode.

#226613 - 02/11/08 06:01 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
If it`s a Yammy , left hand AI Chords / right melody.

I know piano players don`t do melody , but hey I`m an Organ Grinder !!

Gary 

#226614 - 02/11/08 06:10 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I do mostly high energy praise and worship, those who are up on it would know stuff like CFN, Israel Houghton, Hillsongs, CHris RIce, etc.

I use a Yamaha DGX-500 for grand piano sounds and as a controller, MIDI'd to a PA1x-Pro. I use full keyboard chord scanning with the full accompaniment with some guitar stuff down or muted, since I have a live guitar player.There is one song, "Dancing Generation" where the original intro uses a bass guitar solo to kick the song off so I start with the manual bass button and play the bass part live with drums, just like the recording. Otherwise, everything is "as is".

I have, however, discovered a website, www.interactiveworshiplive.com that features popular worship songs that are basically all the tracks, minus lead vocal (drums, bass, guitars, B3, brass, soprano, alto, tenor, etc.) that you can download and run using Ableton Live software. The tracks are .wav files and you can mute whatever tracks you want to. YOu can then set differnt points in the song to trigger from an external MIDI controller or from the computer keybard, so you're not stuck with the preset song as is. You can repeat a verse, chorus, bridge, etc. as many times and any time you wish. Kind of a cool alternative for worship leaders.

I'm currently building my own "Super Music Computer" from scratch that will run this stuff, Cakewalk, software synths, etc and basically have my own recording studio in a portable tower. So far, I have the tower (with built-in handle), a 2.66 Gh dual-core processor and motherboard plus 1g of ram. I'm getting ready to get another G of ram, then going to have 2 HD, and a 15" touchscreen monitor. Should be sweet.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#226615 - 02/11/08 10:02 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mostly, drums only, and breaks triggered with Ketron pedals. Usually, left-handed bass, but sometimes use auto bass function. The arranger is my rythem section. No mp-3's, etc.

Russ

#226616 - 02/11/08 10:44 AM Re: How do you play the arranger?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Ditto what Don said! The exception for me is when I play with my band. When playing in the band I still use the arranger keyboard but I use no arranger functions. I play left foot bass on my PK-5 and chords on the left hand and comping or solos on the right.

Tom

Tom

#226617 - 02/11/08 07:49 PM Re: How do you play the arranger?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
95 - 98% left hand chords ... if playing over an SMF I will play full piano - chords and 'fill ins' - ...when doing a vocal I will rarely, but sometimes, do a chorus or two playing full piano, no style/rhythm, although my left hand isn't great ...
How much of the arranger style I use depends on the song/venue/style ... sometimes just bass and/or guitar, sometimes just drums and bass/guitar ...
With the technics kn6000 I can 'edit' the style on the fly ...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online