SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226524 - 02/08/08 06:57 AM What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Dnj Offline

Just wondering what everyone is using for sound reinforcement with the arranger KB's either at Home or on stage .....are you happy with the sound or would like to buy something else your interested in & WHY?

#226525 - 02/08/08 07:15 AM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I have a number of different systems a single Barbetta 31c, Logitech z5500s and a pair of Roland CM30s. For the 3 hour plus gigs I take the z5500s. I had been using the Barbetta at the 1 hour NH or cocktail party gigs. But since getting the Roland cubes I'm using them at NHs.

One of these days maybe I'll take the 45 day trial of the Bose L1. Why the Bose? Lots of positive comments from musicians here at SZ. When members here say they are happy that other musicians in their market aren't using them speaks volumes. Why haven't I purchased the Bose? I keep spending money on arranger keyboards That's not totally true. As a part time musician who plays to groups of 75 or less in NHs I can't justify the expense. But........I'm always in the hunt for a used set.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-08-2008).]

#226526 - 02/08/08 07:31 AM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Dnj Offline

Steve there's just something about using a computer style speaker system like the Z5500..I tried the Z200 one time and now my kids use it for PC gaming....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

when I look at all those wires I cringe @ having to think of rigging that up on a daily basis........distortion at higher levels also comes to mind.......hope your enjoying them.

You know I have have enjoyed using the Barbetta's & Cm30's....The Bose Pas lets just say "been there done that" ....
just not my cup of tea. But there are a few other units I'd like to demo down the road.

#226527 - 02/08/08 07:55 AM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

when I look at all those wires I cringe @ having to think of rigging that up on a daily basis........distortion at higher levels also comes to mind.......hope your enjoying them.

Donny, that's why I only take them to 3 hour or longer gigs. I have also created a harness for the wiring so it's not as bad as having loose wires all over the place.

I'll be waiting to hear more feedback from you re: the K4. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck.

#226528 - 02/08/08 09:11 AM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Dnj Offline

Steve, Im loving the K4 used it so far on 3 big gigs with 150-250 PP with no problems at all....& the accolades from regular audience members is all positive, SUPER CRYSTAL CLEAR sound due to the 5 speakers inside, really distinguishes frequency response at all levels.....if it wasn't I'd dump it in a heart beat.....best part I dont have to lift two 52 lb speakers on to poles anymore ....and it leaves so much more room in my vehicle...

#226529 - 02/08/08 11:57 AM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have multi-elements that I can and do use separately and together. I'm happy with all my amplification gear. I can handle 25-500 people easily.
* Mackie 808S stereo powered mixer
* Mackie 300i 12" two-way passive speakers
* Soundtech 12" passive wedge monitors
* EV Sb120a 12", 300w sub-woofer
* Kustom KMA-100 15" 3-channel keyboard amp/PA
* Roland CM-30 6" Cube monitors (2)

The Mackie setup is clean, clear and powerful. I'm usually running a monitor channel, so the Soundtechs have been doing that job for about three years now. The EV sub is fantastic and I'm starting to use it more and more often with gigs of any size. The bottom it adds to the Mackies is sweet. The CM-30's have seen sparse use, but they too provide a nice clear sound in close quarters with smaller groups. The Kustom is a decent 15", 100watt amp with DFX; very compact, easier to cart around than any large keyboard amp I've owned - and I've had a few.

I too would like to try the Bose PAS but am just not playing often enough any more to justify such a purchase. I've spent the better part of a year re-configuring my keyboard setup. Hopefully that's done and maybe I'll start re-evaluating the amplification situation.
or maybe I won't

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-08-2008).]

#226530 - 02/08/08 12:22 PM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
No need to repeat myself about being very happy with the Bose L1.

However, I had to call them yesterday after securing a contract to play at a country club restaurant. The nearest AC outlet to where they want me to set up is about 40 feet if you follow the wallboard around a corner.

I have never used more than twenty five feet extension of 14 gauge wire. The restaurant says they have an extension...but you know how that goes. I don't need any more surprises at restaurant gigs. So I talked to Gary D, he said he wouldn't go with less than 12 gauge wire.

A call to Bose Support confirmed Gary's recommendation. They said I might be able to get away with 14 gauge...but better safe than sorry. So off to Home Depot and got 50' of 12 gauge. It was only available in lengths of 25, 50 and 100 feet.

Since I am using the Bose L1 almost exclusively, I don't know if this would apply to all you guys using Logitecs, Mackies, Barbettas, Rolands, EVs, JBLs etc.

Years ago I blew a Peavy amp on a job and swore never to put my gear at risk like that again.

Eddie

#226531 - 02/08/08 12:43 PM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe the topic OUGHT to read...

"What are you using for self-justification, and why?"

This PA topic has been beat to death lately. A simple forum search for PA will probably bring forth the information that Donny seeks. But maybe he's found another way to talk about what HE has got lately, is secretly dissatisfied with (you won't hear word one wrong with it until he's off to the NEXT new thing) and wants to be persuaded that, either he HAS made the right decision (for now) or get suggestions about what to be dissatisfied with NEXT!

Equipment ADD.... where would this forum be without it?

#226532 - 02/08/08 12:52 PM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Small jobs...a 100 amp three channel Carvin all-in-one with a 12" and a horn.Sometimes, an additional cabinet and/or a CM-30 monitor Larger jobs...a 200 Amp 6 channel Carvin with 2 12" cabs and a CM-30 monitor or Hot Spots. Larger: A 300 watt 8 channel Yamaha with up to 4 cabs-usually Carvin 15", and two Carvin wedge monitors. Largest jobs...24 channel Carvin Board, 3000 watt stereo Carvin or two 1500 watt Crowns, up to 8 15 " cabs, 18" subs (powered with another power amp)and up to 6 wedge Carvin monitors with twin 12's. Whatever combination of the above it takes...

Russ

#226533 - 02/08/08 01:24 PM Re: What are you using for Sound reinforcment & Why?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No PA at all... I just provide line-outs to each table, and they jack their iPod headphones in. Works just like Bose PAS (everyone in the room gets the same sound) but lots cheaper!

OK, OK, I'm joking!

But wouldn't it be easy... (OK, an FM transmitter for the dancers!)

Every now and again, I get a room where we can't sit in front of the speakers and get a good balance. I'll use a pair of in-ears (I use the nice, inexpensive Sony MDREX51LP earbuds) to monitor the mix. They sound superb!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online