SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#226340 - 02/08/08 01:58 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
While we are on the topic of Vocal Harmonizers, let me ask this question of those that DO use 'Pitch Correction' in a live setting...

How do you monitor yourself? AFTER the pitch correction? Doesn't that make the problem worse (you can't actually hear what YOU are singing, only the corrected version)?

No VH product (at least in an arranger, and I haven't seen it on a VH rack, yet) allows you to monitor your actual voice, while the pitch corrected version goes to FOH (front of house). In studios, the Auto-Tune is ALWAYS applied after the performance is recorded. The talent NEVER hears it in their cans.

How do arranger users deal with this?

#226341 - 02/08/08 02:46 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
ocomain Offline

I'll definitely be purchasing the new Digitech rack unit when released because I can use it with guitar and keyboards. Street price will probably be in the 650.00 range but well worth it, considering various forum reviews of their most recent Vocalist products. It should prove to be extremely useful for recording and performing!

Michael

#226342 - 02/08/08 02:57 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

I don't use Pitch Correction, mainly because I don't need it. I have, however, tried it out just to hear what happens. It actually works pretty good if you are a half-note or less off. Anything more than a half-note usually results in disaster.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226343 - 02/08/08 03:11 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
If Johnny Cash had used pitch correction his "unique" style of vocals would have gone right out the window, Dean Martin also.

Tom

Tom

#226344 - 02/08/08 06:56 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Donny, Fran,
Does it do VOICE CORRECTION?!!! I didn't see that feature in the specs??

http://www.tc-helicon.com/Default.asp?Id=10402

#226345 - 02/08/08 07:33 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
travlin'easy Offline

Here's the list of features:

* Auto-chromatic pitch correction improves your pitch
* Adjustable auto-smooth compression
* Multiband auto-shape EQ dynamically sweetens raw mic sound
* Sibilance-smoothing de-ess algorithm
* Add rich lows on deep voices with the Warmth button
* Accurate input pitch and correction display
* XLR mic level I/O: Correction can go to monitors, mains or both
* Clean, studio quality mic preamp with phantom power

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#226346 - 02/09/08 06:45 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I would bet that the pitch correction is just on the harmonies, so you can sig a bit off and still trigger the right chords. Just my guess.

#226347 - 02/09/08 07:22 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
travlin'easy Offline

Yep! I suspect you're right about that. I don't know of any pitch correction feature that can be triggered without using harmony.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#226348 - 02/09/08 11:07 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Diki,

I don't use Pitch Correction, mainly because I don't need it. I have, however, tried it out just to hear what happens. It actually works pretty good if you are a half-note or less off. Anything more than a half-note usually results in disaster.

Gary

So you're singing to the pitch corrected track? I've always felt that, if you can't hear what you are ACTUALLY singing, it's a lot harder to know whether you are getting close to the dangerously flat or sharp.

The other problem is, to allow you to be free with what you sing, you have to set the pitch correction to correct to the nearest half-step (you never know when you want to do that passing note!), but this makes hitting the third and seventh degrees of the scale accurately VERY important, or the pitch correction will start to 'warble' around the 3rd and 4th, or 7th and octave.

It SOUNDS like a good idea, in principle, but without a way to monitor your pre-correction singing, difficult to use. I know they use Antares Auto-Tune hardware on a lot of major shows (you don't think Madonna can dance that hard and still hold a steady note, do you?!), but on all the systems I've seen, the Auto-Tune does not get returned to the artist's monitor mix, only goes to FOH.

#226349 - 02/09/08 02:44 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmony M vs Digitech Vocalist VR
travlin'easy Offline

Like I said--I don't use it. I use vocal harmonies very seldom and when I do it is quite limited to background sounds only-not a lead vocal. But, as you stated, Madonna probably cannot live without it. BTW, she uses the same headset mic I use, the Crown CM-311A. Maybe she's not using it. It would be interesting to find out.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online