SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226095 - 02/04/08 12:10 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Beakybird Offline

I have no problems with the display. I'm 5'8".

Beakybird

#226096 - 02/04/08 12:15 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The main problem I see is a brand gets a good design, then instead of adding to it (tweaking it) on the next replacement model they delete some of the good things about the previous model.
This happens so many times it's as if the R&D department are all new and never saw the good points of previous models.

#226097 - 02/04/08 12:16 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been working a tilt machanism for a friend that has an S900, and with luck I'll have it dont by the end of this week, or early next week. Essentially, it is constructed from aluminium channel and fits directly on the arms of an X-stand. It has a rubber strip to protect the bottom of the keyboard and also prevent side slippage, and at the front end of each is a stop that prevents the keyboard from sliding off the stand from the player side.

If everything works out, I'll post photos sometime next week and also the design specs. It will sure make life a lot easier for keyboard players that sit while performing. I do not stand while performing, and most of the performers I know now opt to sit as well.

One of the problems with ALL keyboad displays is the manufacturers are still living in the dark ages (no pun intended). The marine industry solved this problem more than two decades ago by utilizing super-twist technology, and they frequently use march larger LCD displays than any keyboard display I've ever seen. The other problem is the stupid-ass that decided to use LED indicators for the active buttons. Even in a brightly lit room they are difficult to see. If you're performing outdoors, even in the shade, they're invisible. What supreme, overpaid idiot came up with this one?

Oh well, back to the drawing board,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226098 - 02/04/08 12:23 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
For what you get , is what you get.

Meaning = You spend < 1600 for a KB you get 1600 worth of quality.

Sure , it is a great buy as far as A/KB`s are concerned , however it is things like the display , key-bed , buttons wheels and a painted shell , that the consumer really pays for in the end.

Meaning = If you don`t baby it , it could fall apart or fail.

Just my opinion,

Gary 

Let's place this into perspective... if you are going to treat your instruments roughly, this likely isn't the one for you... albeit, if you are looking for a great transportable unit to take with you on your solo arranger gigs, this is a awesome piece.

Sure, it's not perfect, but neither are the PA-800, G-70, E-80, E-60 and Tyros2...and I have a feeling there will be issues with the new PA2XPro.

Main thing is...I'm playin' and havin' fun...can't beat that.

How about you Gary?

Ian

#226099 - 02/04/08 12:29 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, I know of a nice E-60 for sale. Maybe you could dicker with owner and get him down to where the sale price should really be. You could even make money on the deal if you can get market value for your S900.

#226100 - 02/04/08 12:30 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yep you're right Donny.

What do you mean by "cut the crap"?

I'm agreeing with you, chum.

Ian

I knew that would get your attention .....maybe when you talk to your bosses at Yamaha you can vent a bit more & make some sort of impact on the next wave ...boy if they send me that survey I'll need a book to finish it with suggestions........or even better yet I'll confer with Diki at any rate things need to be changed at the Yamaha design team these things obviously slipped by under the wore!

#226101 - 02/04/08 12:31 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Donny .... ANOTHER reason why I like my kn6000 ...
t.

Tony Please elaborate for us......you think Technics is reading this for a comeback? Hmmmmmmm?

#226102 - 02/04/08 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I have no problems with the display. I'm 5'8".

Beakybird

do you stand or sit when you play? Im 5'10" sit down normaly and play you will see what I mean.

#226103 - 02/04/08 12:55 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I knew that would get your attention .....maybe when you talk to your bosses at Yamaha you can vent a bit more & make some sort of impact on the next wave

Nah...they don't listen to me...I'm just one of Yamaha's minions...but always remember, "The more it stays the same, the less it changes"

#226104 - 02/04/08 01:10 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Very true Ian , ALL have there good and bad points.

It really is too bad that arrangers as a whole seem to get a bum rap.

They are great to play , now as for me , still waiting.

Waiting for what , you may ask !

You might know the answer to that far better than I my friend

At least we can agree that the new "whatever" from Yamaha will not have built in speakers.
It will not have a HD
Nor will it be the same `ol / same `ol .
Maybe a hybrid between a synth and arranger ?
It will have Extended SA voicing.

Am I getting warm ?

Will it be March or October ?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online