SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#225999 - 02/02/08 05:43 PM Is there conversion for Tyros 2 to Paxx?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I'm seriously considering moving across to Korg, however I don't want to lose my years of hard work on the Tyros. Is there any decent conversion software that would let me move my Yamaha styles to Korg and then tweak them there?

A google search brought up this: http://www.stylediskwarehouse.com/styleworks.htm Does anyone have experience with it? Does it work specifically for the Tyros 2 and Pa1x/2x models? Are there other options?

Also, what happens to the MEGA voices?

Thank you,
Chony

PS: I saw that there is another similar thread earlier, but this thread does not discuss which software to use.

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 02-02-2008).]

#226000 - 02/02/08 08:42 PM Re: Is there conversion for Tyros 2 to Paxx?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep, Chony, those Mega voices are the kicker.

They require a LOT of work to make even the played notes get over to another arranger, and forget about all the associated noises, chokes, etc..

It's a whole patented technology, and, in all honesty, I have never heard a Mega voiced style sound as good on another arranger. Drums, horns, pianos, etc., no problem (much!) but some of the styles use Mega basses, and even a lot of that doesn't translate that well.

Personally, I'd take a look at whether you can get the PAX to sync to an S900 or 700, and combine the two. If those Mega voices are important to you, there's no getting around it. You have to play them on a Yamaha.

#226001 - 02/02/08 09:52 PM Re: Is there conversion for Tyros 2 to Paxx?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
EMC is the only software that will automatically convert & the styles require a fair bit of fixing up once converted.

I tried converting a couple of the T2 Worship styles for someone the other day. The result was not terribly satisfactory.. I also converted my PSR1500 Worship Slow style & it converted a lot better ( no megavoices) involved, but still required some degree of fixing.

The megavoice guitar strums etc appear to get put into a seperate style track.
I doubt the strums etc sound the same in the t2 as they do in the conversion.

I luv the korg & I was aware I'd have to convert the odd psr style that I wouldn't want to be without, but I certainly wouldn't want to be converting dozens of them.

Aren't the Korg Styles suitable for the music you play?

Must admit I've never been into the modern dance music type of stuff, but I downloaded some freebe dance music styles the other day, along with a heap of others, I nearly deleted them,( not my thing ) I'm glad I didn't, a couple of the trance styles were brilliant. Haven't been thru the rest as yet.

Suppose it depends on the type of styles you play..

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226002 - 02/03/08 04:41 PM Re: Is there conversion for Tyros 2 to Paxx?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Diki,
you're obviously fairly familiar with the megavoices, maybe you can clear something up.
I get the impression that mega voices are velocity based ie Steel Guitar for instance if the velocity of the note is between ( I got these numbers from a manual)
0 & 20 you get an open soft guitar string, between 21 & 40 you get medium etc etc then you get to 91 to 105 hammer, 106 to 120 is a slide . If a guitar track has been recorded with soft, medium, hammer & slide notes, if they're then played back on a keyboard ( even a psr without megavoices) the guitar track is going to sound odd because you got all these strange velocities happening which is normal for a megavoice, but not for a non mega guitar voice.

Haven't actually thought to check if EMC compensates for this when converting , but I suppose for the midi to style method I sometimes use with my PSR1500 styles, I'd get into a real mess trying to do the same with a megavoice style??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]Yep, Chony, those Mega voices are the kicker.

They require a LOT of work to make even the played notes get over to another arranger, and forget about all the associated noises, chokes, etc..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226003 - 02/03/08 04:54 PM Re: Is there conversion for Tyros 2 to Paxx?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Rikki...don't mean to butt in...if the style or SMF has mega voices, try using Michael Bedesem's MidiPlayerII to convert them...it will substitute a regular voice.

Then use EMC.

Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online