Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225807 - 02/02/08 10:55 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Zuki,
decided to try getting one again.

I'm still in shock over what happened to you the last time.

If I can be of any help, let me know. I know a tiny bit more about it now , than I did last time.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225808 - 02/02/08 11:01 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

Thanks Rikki,

Yes, going for the 800 and I'm sure I'll have questions. I'll keep the 900 for live play and fool around with the new toy to see if it could be a replacement. I like the harmony notion, because singing is a big plus for me.

I will get my money back eventually. I have the law after the creep and they're closing in now.

Talk to you soon, I'm sure.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#225809 - 02/03/08 12:40 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Zuki,
good idea hanging onto the 900 just in case the PA doesn't work out.

The sooner the better as far as getting your money back from that creep.

Just out of interest ,what type of styles do you mainly use?

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zuki:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225810 - 02/03/08 10:12 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
While it is possible that the styles might have got re-programmed to at least not exacerbate the problem, the fact remains that Korg STILL have a system where, unless you forego the Break/Fill, you only have TWO fills for the entire style. This is in comparison to Roland's seven, and Yamaha's six (and a Break/Fill).

For my mind, this is not enough to make most of the transitions (there are 16 possible transitions on a four variation arranger, including Fill-to-same) as smooth as those higher count fill arrangers can. I am sure, when coming FROM a Yamaha or Roland to a Korg, the noticeable drop in fill numbers cannot help but be noticed.

But to offset this disadvantage is the Korg technique of using MUCH longer Variations (up to 16 bars or more!), so you don't NEED to press Fill quite so often. But, essentially, if you think about it, two fills (one up, one down, I guess) will always have SOME kind of jarring effect. Going from Var4 to Var1, a very pumped up fill would work (you are coming from a pumped up Variation, so the entry into the fill will flow). But that exact same fill, from Var2 to Var1 will sound out of place, because Var2 is still a nice laid back Variation.

Every other arranger manufacturer has figured this out. Why are Korg clinging so desperately to this out-dated system, and yet offer innovation and common sense to so many other aspects of arranger making? It, IMO, LONG past time Korg came down from the clouds, and joined the rest of the industry in offering enough fill choices to make most of the fill transitions at least a smooth as the competition.

#225811 - 02/03/08 12:22 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

Hi Rikki,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Styles? I use absolutely everything. I mix it up to play any type music (except Rap/Hip Hop). My only fear is missing the SIMPLE styles that I use to do 20s/30s/40s medleys that go over so well. Those are a mix of big band, standard, slow, swing, jazz, etc. I love the simplicity of Yamaha styles and how they integrate so perfect between songs. I do a Glen Miller medley that sounds terrific with the Yamaha styles.

But I sort of know that going in. I got this board to add the harmony feature and some kick-a drums for a change. I also look forward to scats, organs, synths, song book, different piano, guitar mode and others things to discover.

Maybe I'll take both to the job - got the energy these days

Life is short. I need to experiment and have fun. All these senior places I play make me nervous - there are hardly any men

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#225812 - 02/03/08 04:12 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Zuki,
reason I asked, there was a link to a fairly large style download (from a guy in France) listed on the Createasongstyle forum the other day, I got the impression the download was only available for a short time.
I actually got the download, & I'm still sorting thru & loading the styles individually as one of the guys mentioned a couple of the styles were corrupt, so I definately don't want to load complete banks.
Some of them work quite well. I'm trying to sort out the good from the bad.

I mainly use swing/bigband, ballad & latin styles, so the ones I miss , I'll slowly work my way thru converting. EMC conversion doesn't always get it right, so then I'm stuck with doing a midifile to style conversion which is rather time consuming, but if it gets me the style I want , it's worth it. My Korgs here to stay unless one of the other companies comes up with something super amazing haahaa.

If you do happen to find you're missing a particular swing/bigband style, and it's one I use, I'm happy to convert, ( that is of course unless you do your own anyway) as it doesn't worry me which order I do mine in.

If you decide to take both, they could even be midied together. The PA works beautifully as a master keyboard.

As you said, lifes short , have fun.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Hi Rikki,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Styles? I use absolutely everything. I mix it up to play any type music (except Rap/Hip Hop). My only fear is missing the SIMPLE styles that I use to do 20s/30s/40s medleys that go over so well. Those are a mix of big band, standard, slow, swing, jazz, etc. I love the simplicity of Yamaha styles and how they integrate so perfect between songs. I do a Glen Miller medley that sounds terrific with the Yamaha styles.

But I sort of know that going in. I got this board to add the harmony feature and some kick-a drums for a change. I also look forward to scats, organs, synths, song book, different piano, guitar mode and others things to discover.

Maybe I'll take both to the job - got the energy these days

Life is short. I need to experiment and have fun. All these senior places I play make me nervous - there are hardly any men

zuki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225813 - 02/03/08 04:19 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Dnj Offline

rikki I need the Pa 800 korg swing ballad 2 for yamaha if you can email it to me

thanx

#225814 - 02/03/08 04:47 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
rikki I need the Pa 800 korg swing ballad 2 for yamaha if you can email it to me

thanx

Withdrawal

#225815 - 02/03/08 05:10 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Dnj Offline

No Zuki...its just one unique style I could use in my arsenal......I dont even know if it will convert well either.....we'll see.

#225816 - 02/03/08 06:23 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
doubt it will work unless you have EMC XT
(latest version)
Styleworks 2000 won't convert PA800.

I do actually have XT in the Universal.
Either my program is faulty or else the program in general is still full of bugs.

My PC keeps locking up & the conversion crashes the program.

I'll email you the style anyway, but I don't like your chances.
I even tried converting it to PA1X format, still locked up.

Really annoying.

Don't know if the problem is only with mine, the Universal XT or the new XT software in general.
Eitherway, I'm getting back in touch with Klaus. Only reason I upgraded was for the PA800.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

thanx

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online