Topic Options
#225797 - 02/01/08 07:35 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
haven't actually sampled or loaded individual samples like drums, basses etc
but I have loaded some audio drum loops which I've sliced & created pads from.
I've had no problems .

As Donny mentioned a number of the members that have had problems appear to be constantly loading other members user files including stuff from earlier model keyboards like the pa1x.
When the PA's load & save as a .set file, the set can include global settings, samples all sorts of stuff.
They probably don't have a choice as a lot of the styles they're sharing seem to be oriental styles which include drumkits & samples.
If one doesn't understand the system & you start loading other peoples stuff, they may be getting in a bit of a mess if they load stuff incorrectly..
When I share I style, I only save the style itself, & warn people to load the style as an individual style , not as a set.

best wishes
Rikki

George, yes thanks for the clarification.

I thought my post would raise a few eyebrows.

As Donny mentioned in another post the PA800 is a great board for live play. Sure it doesn't have the variety of styles that would be ideal or even the great variety of 3rd party sytles that Yammie has. But for the part time work I do playing music it has everything I need and then some.

Rikki each time I make any major changes or additions to my Songbook or STS I back up the data to a .set file. When I get my new board can I just load those .set files without risk of causing a problem? Those .set files do not include any files outside of the what is built into the PA800.

Donny, never thought of myself as the "Sheriff." thanks for your well wishes.

Cass thanks and yes in SZ time we'll be sticking with our respective boards for sometime. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying that e60 sounds like a great board.

Bottom line is if Yamaha had offered a 76 key version of Tyros2 or even the PSR3000 at the time I owned those boards I may have never strayed from home, I would have stayed with Yamaha.

I like the PA800 enough where I settled on 61 keys back in November. At the time the PA2xPro was a consideration I just didn't want to wait until January for it.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-01-2008).]

#225798 - 02/01/08 10:03 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Ok, so I am getting my first Korg the PA1X this week and know very little about all of this. I have been playing a PSR3000. Does this mean that if I find what I call styles for the PA series on this forum or the KorgPA site that they can't be loaded onto the PA1X or that I must follow some mysterious ritual to get it all to work?

Hammer

Naw Hammer, there is no problem with loading styles, just samples - voices that have been made somewhere else by "sampling" real instruments or sounds. If you get deep enough into the kb to start doing that, you'll need to closely follow the directions, that's all.
Enjoy your new instrument!
DonM

#225799 - 02/02/08 05:23 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Steve, good for you. The PA2x pro sounds like a dynamite keyboard. You'll love getting reacquainted with the 76-note keyboard. Soon you'll be able to give us a 1,2,3 overview of the PA2x, G-70 and Tyros II.

Throw in the PA800 too

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#225800 - 02/02/08 05:36 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

Throw in the PA800 too

zuki

Zuki I will When will you have yours?

#225801 - 02/02/08 06:35 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

Hey S -

ETA is 2/5. Can't wait to get it on eBay (just kidding)

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#225802 - 02/02/08 10:59 AM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks Don,

I was getting a little concerned because I have already downloaded a pot load of PA styles from the Korg site and a few others. FedEx tells me Monday - can't wait.

Hammer

#225803 - 02/02/08 02:52 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Stephen,
as far as I'm aware the PA800 & PA2x have the same styles, sounds etc
I don't think you should have any problems swapping from one to the other.
-------------------------------------------
What I was reffering to, was, people trying to load complete .sets from earlier models especially if global data was involved.
They seem to be trying to do some pretty weird stuff. I'm not familiar enough with the korg range & the compatibily with prior models, to really comment, but I'm always careful with what I load.

I've done a fair bit of experimentation in my keyboard, including splitting audio loops ( grooves), editing drum kits,
I've played around with most of the style editing functions, including copying from styles,copying from pads, importing & exporting style parts as midifiles, the note trasposition tables etc etc & the PA800 has performed flawlessly.

I've loaded a couple of corrupted styles from the Korg site ( which have apparently now been fixed), they caused the keyboard to lock up, I removed them, it worked beautifully again.
Now if I load someone else's user styles, I load them in individually, rather than as a set of styles, just in case one of them is faulty. I keep the one's I want the rest I delete.
Once the styles are in the keyboard & everything is functioning normally , I save them as a .set & would have no hesitation in loading them as a style .set once I know they're ok.

I think where it gets a bit confusing is
.set can be anything from just a .set of style data right thru to a .set including files for global data, songbook data, pcm data, style data etc

So for instance if I didn't quite know what I was doing & I decided to share a single style with someone & saved the style as a .set which included globaldata , songbook data pcm data etc, and the other person didn't know what they were doing & loaded as a whole .set they could overwrite their own global data, songbook data etc

That's why when sharing one of my user styles I only ever put the one style in the .set folder ( I never put in any other data like global or songbook etc)
and I usually put in a note to say when loading keep opening up the folders
( starting will "All" ) till you get to the individual style then load it to an empty slot.

I always do a complete "ALL" save if I've added a heap of new stuff.

For anyone who's new to a korg, the system is different to the yammies, I personally luv all the stuff that can be done on this keyboard .

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephenm52:
[B]

Rikki each time I make any major changes or additions to my Songbook or STS I back up the data to a .set file. When I get my new board can I just load those .set files without risk of causing a problem? Those .set files do not include any files outside of the what is built into the PA800.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225804 - 02/02/08 03:04 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
Stephenm52 Offline

Rikki Thanks!!! Glad you own a Korg board, you are loaded with great information.

#225805 - 02/02/08 03:37 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Stephen, when you get the time could you investigate the variation fill anomaly on the Pa2X and tell us if you think it is a cause for concern in your opinion? It has been reported that there is still an issue with the variation/fill-in function on the Pa2X where there is not a smooth transition when you use that feature. Since Yamaha's arrangers e.g. the Tyros/2 variation fill-in transitions are seamless, it would be interesting to get your input on how the Pa2X rates in comparison, and if it would cause any problems, in your opinion, in a live setting where fluidity is of utmost importance.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-02-2008).]

#225806 - 02/02/08 06:16 PM Re: OT: Korg PA800 For Sale
zuki Offline

The fills have always been my biggest concern. I'll let you know about the 800 soon. If they're like some Korgs I've played in the past, it's gone! I'm hoping for the best.

zuki

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online