SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#225761 - 02/06/08 03:49 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
It's funny Dennis, you're experiencing all the emotions/questions I asked MYSELF before we tried out the system.

1. God, is this little skinny thing ENOUGH?
2. Will it fill a whole room??
3. Should I bring a back-up P.A. system???

lol

Look, we're a Duo that play Leagues Clubs, RSL's, Surf Clubs (some pretty decent size venues) and for the TWO of us there's PLENTY of power.

Here's the thing:

All the stuff I read on the Bose Forums (you REALLY should go and have a read of those forums btw - a fabulous, valuable, interesting, friendly, practical place) is actually true. It's a different kind of loud .

It doesn't HURT anyone if they get too close.
There are NO hotspots - the sound is even EVERYWHERE you go in the room.
The clarity is crystal.
You WILL run too loud at first, because you'll be used to a conventional P.A.
(WE'RE still running too loud at some gigs)

You have to get used to this concept.
It's a scaled down Line array (Basically) NOT a point source speaker.

There was a "discussion" about this in the "Bose L1 Model 2 cases" thread (which I deliberately kept away from) which was comparing a point source speaker to the Bose.

Apples and Oranges.

Mate, there's plenty of power. The most I have ever run the system (I estimate) was at 5 out of 10.

Here's a quick run down on what you MUST be careful of:

1. GAIN STAGING - this system, more than ANY other P.A. I have worked with needs the Gain and level settings carefully sound checked.
Basically it's recommended that you turn the Power Base Master Volume to 12 o'clock. Then you set the trim on the T1 (the ToneMatch engine - mixing desk - you ARE getting that aren't you? - I certainly would!) speak/sing into the Mike/play your instrument at PERFORMANCE level.
Trim each channel until you get some red - then back off slightly.
When you're happy with that, set the sound level (knob below Trim) for each channel.
Then (especially if it's a big room) set the Power base level to maybe 8 or 9 out of 10. Quite frankly I have ours running at 10 - no problems yet. Then set the Master sound level on the T1 (Mixer).

2. About PLACEMENT: Place the tower behind you at LEAST 7 feet away (Bose says 7-8 feet). Remember, if it's too loud for you, then it's probably too loud for the audience, because it's NOT a point source speaker.
You do NOT have to crank this thing to reach the back of the room like a conventional speaker - seriously.
If you can't place it behind you due to lack of depth of the stage area (we often have that problem) you can set it up slightly in front of you (Maybe slightly to the side so you're not obscured by the tower) - you CAN use this as a traditional FOH speaker placement wise. You WILL hear very well (including vocals) and still not need a monitor.

Get to the venue as early as you can and set up - you will only need to do this a few times at the most before you get it.

(We also set the Bose up at home and played around - I highly recommend that).

We made up our minds after the 2nd gig.
We didn't buy the system and pretend to justify the money spent, as other people suggest most Bose owners do.

We had the option to bring it back - no money spent and stick with our old P.A.

Ours is NOT going back.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#225762 - 02/06/08 07:28 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just purchased a mint condition as in brand new..20 year old Roland Keyboard Cube 100..this will be my 4th one..I am probably the only person in the world with 4 of these great amps...I love them..Now I can blow out more windows..

#225763 - 02/06/08 07:38 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Dnj Offline

Congrats Fran.....
amazing how good these units sound.....especialy when coupled with the G70 & they look sooooooo goood!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-06-2008).]

#225764 - 02/07/08 04:52 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I just purchased a mint condition as in brand new..20 year old Roland Keyboard Cube 100..this will be my 4th one..I am probably the only person in the world with 4 of these great amps...I love them..Now I can blow out more windows..

Actually Fran, I have a buddy, Danny J. who has 6 of them...he uses them for his keyboards, acoustic guitar, and guitar synth.

He also has a G70, a VK8 organ plus a vintage Roland Jupiter 8 that I used to own PLUS a vintage ROLAND GR-700 synth and G-707 guitar controller

He's an even bigger Roland fan than you...he still plays a bit but mostly uses them at home.

Ian

#225765 - 02/07/08 06:26 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Dnj Offline

You men there is a Bigger Roland Fan then Fran? ......
it must be nice to be "In Love" ( sigh )

#225766 - 02/07/08 11:34 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thanks Hellboy,
That is excellent information, exactly what a forum is supposed to be about.
I appreciate you taking the time to pass on that knowledge.
I will get on to, probably Billy Hydes, and see what sort of deal they can do, and get one down here to try.
Cheers
Dennis

#225767 - 02/07/08 01:10 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian... I am shocked!

You let a Jupiter 8 go?? WOW!

Any remorse for that decision? I think the Jupiter 8 was possibly the finest analog polysynth ever made, and I wish I could afford a mint condition one now, but they got too expensive...

#225768 - 02/07/08 01:44 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ian... I am shocked!

You let a Jupiter 8 go?? WOW!

Any remorse for that decision? I think the Jupiter 8 was possibly the finest analog polysynth ever made, and I wish I could afford a mint condition one now, but they got too expensive...

Yes Diki, I did let it go...and yes, sometimes I do regret it...it was in great shape, too.

Nothing, absolutely nothing sounded like that instrument...mine didn't have the MIDI retrofit, but it did have the newer D/A converter board that made the tuning more stable plus it had the DCB....Danny is looking for an old MC8 microcomposer for it.

I did pick up a old module, a Roland MKS-80 Rev.4, sometimes people called it the "Super Jupiter"...it's in being serviced, trying to get the display working...may need a new one...actually my Yamaha techie is working on it.

It has the MPG-80 programmer with it so I'm not missing much...and it has analog VCOs...AND, most importantly, it responds to velocity and aftertouch, something the JP-8 wouldn't do...no effects, though.

Got it really cheap so it's worth fixing up.

I also have a hard line on a Roland JX-10 that's being sold in an estate settlement...one of my clients put me onto it...supposedly mint condition, home studio use only...it has 76 keys, so I may use it for a controller for the MKS-80.

That as far as my gear lust goes...thankfully it's not one of those "mortal sins".

Ian the Sinner

#225769 - 02/07/08 03:26 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The rock and new wave sound of the early 80's was almost defined by that one synth. From Journey to Human League, it almost ruled the airwaves...

And no MIDI, so most of what you hear it doing was actually PLAYED. It did have the DCB, but most of the rockers at least had not yet embraced letting a machine do it for you!

Great memories...

#225770 - 02/07/08 04:33 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
JX8P came close, I got one after trading in my 3P. Had the programmers too. Sold em along with the stage 73 Dyno.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online