SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#225741 - 02/02/08 08:32 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown

#225742 - 02/03/08 06:56 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
OK, I'll bite.

Bose PAS (Model 2) and 2 B1 subs, Tone match Engine.

*takes a deep breath*

Ok, well you guys know me (kinda) by now, and you probably realise I'll tell it like it is (yes...for me and MY reality etc etc) so here goes.

There's a lot of *ahem* "emotive discussion" when it comes to this system.

I don't see why.

It's a P.A. - not the second coming (as you might get the impression from almost all the Bose devotees.) You have to live with it & understand it, like any other piece of equipment.
I thought it would sound PERFECT out of the box.

It doesn't.

Nothing does.

Like any P.A. you have to learn it, tweak it, get used to it, and become "at one" with it to use it to it's fullest potential like ANY piece of gear.

I think the only people who would have a real problem with the Bose are:

a) People who don't like their own sound (the system is relatively transparent unless you pile on the effects on every channel) and challenges you to be a good singer and player as it really IS like holding up a "sonic mirror" to yourself and having a good look.

(Now please don't all fly into an indignant rage at that statement with all sorts of "well I'm quite happy with my sound & abilities & I still don't want a Bose" or "so are your saying we're not worthy to use the system" replies. I don't think I'm perfect either, I'm just giving a theory.
Most of the members on these boards seem quite decent players and performers so I don't think anyone here is "below par" - whatever the hell THAT means anyway!)

and

b) People who can't afford one (for WHATEVER reason).

I started off by saying this system is just a P.A. and doesn't sound perfect OOTB.

That's true - I'm trying to be real here.

The trouble is the more you read, (from Bose Marketing itself, and their devotees) the more you suspect if you actually buy a PAS and take it to the U.N. for a gig, World peace will finally be achieved.

So cutting through all the hype (and hopefully defusing a bunch of potentially unhelpful replies and "overly emotive opinions") I can say this -

It's great.
(yeah, yeah for ME)

We're never going back to conventional (& much heavier) equipment.

My ears don't hurt after gigs anymore.
We got our car back (room wise).
Audiences ACTUALLY DO go pretty nuts over the sound, and freak out when we point out what's making it.
Set up and tear down time is halved - and once we actually get used to it, probably "quartered".
The cases loosen up (apparently) - I feel weird even commenting on that, but it seems to be an issue for some reason - I LOVE the cases.

Guys, I really don't see who COULDN'T use this system unless you need to fill a Huge room (REALLY huge) or Stadiums.
Even THEN I'd use the PAS as a wonderful stage monitoring setup, and connect to whatever massive FOH system the aforementioned Huge room /Stadium has.

Will I think less of ANY of you for not using one?

Nup.

Please don't think less of me for using mine.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#225743 - 02/03/08 07:04 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Dnj Offline

Glad your enjoying your Bose....I must be the only one to dump one of these systems & I stand by my opinions..........there is also another syndrome.....people spend $2500.00 on it and then even if they dont like for whatever reasons they will pretend they do to substantiate the high Cost which is a common practice with any purchase. If it satisfies your needs your doing good...

Enjoy!

#225744 - 02/03/08 04:21 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
hellboy44
So we'll see you at the next secret meeting of the Bose devotee group?

Seriously I'm glad you found something that works for you.
If I may ask do they have the 45 day trial where you are from? Did you buy it from Bose or from a local shop?

#225745 - 02/03/08 05:40 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
hellboy44 Offline

Hey Mike (thanks for all your help btw).

It's weird "Down Under", (I hate using that cliche...) because what happens is - you have to go to certain Music stores that are "Bose Distributors" and you give them the order, then they contact Bose on your behalf, and Bose deliver the Goods to the Store...weird.
(Actually it's most likely so Bose can control the price directly.)

The store had a loaner which we used for 3 gigs.
No real 45 day trial.
We made up our minds after the 2nd gig however, and are more sure than ever now.

Thanks for your reply Don, that's the sort of honest post I appreciate without anyone getting all steamed up about this topic - thank you.

Actually, your post reminded me about something I meant to mention in my first post - Price.

Down here it's $4885 (Aussie Dollars)

If I was to purchase a similar, conventional P.A. - let's take my old P.A. as an example...

12" Top Speakers $800-$1000 each [Total $1600-$2000]
15" Subwoofer [$2000] - For a good one, I don't skimp on Subs.
Mixing Desk (Small 4-6 Channel with FX) $500
Monitor/Foldback [$600)
Covers [$150-$200]

(Excuse the approximates, but they're certainly in the ballpark.)

TOTAL: $5300 (Max price from the above examples)

So, for me - $5300 (approx) vs $4885 (Exact).

Selling my old gear (which I'm about to do) may net me $1500 (conservative est) so I spent more in the region of $3500
(All costs Australian Dollars).

Like many of you, we're professionals, so good money spent on good equipment is good for business - I had no qualms about it.

Where it DOES become expensive is where you have a trio or full Band situation (4,5,6,7,8, or 9 piece) where say, for a 4-5 piece I would use at least 2 PAS systems with subs.

It's a big ask for a band to outlay that kind of money, because a conventional P.A. (like the one I described) should do an entire Band.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#225746 - 02/04/08 08:37 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A couple of weeks ago, I bought two Behringer powered speakers. I wanted to use them, with a small mixer, at the club where I work, and then when I book other singles or duos in they could use the same system--no need to load and set up p.a. I was hesitant to leave my Bose system for others because it IS rather expensive and they wouldn't necessarily know how to set up and use it.
I was really surprised how good the speakers sounded (B212a). I took them to the club, set them up and used them for a week. HankB's trio also used them when they worked a weekend for me. We all agreed the sound was really good and it was working out as planned.
Then, I had a really crowded night. Tables were shoved up next to the band stand, even encroaching on the dance floor. Had to turn the volume up for music to reach the back of the room. People near me started complaining; my ears started ringing from the volume, since the speakers have to be behind me.
I realized the Bose was much better in this situation. If I hadn't known better, the new system would have been fine, it's just that the Bose offers benefits that traditional systems can't. Now, I will either return the Behringers, sell them, or keep them for backup or for suitable jobs.
I am still very much impressed with them. They are light, powerful and sound very good.
As Hellboy said, the Bose isn't perfect, but it is perfect for some situations.
Most situations maybe.
DonM

#225747 - 02/04/08 09:43 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just recently purchase the new Korg M3 Synth as an upgrade to the Triton Extreme that I owned. Yuk! I didn't like the Pianos at all. Also, it was very thin on Programs and Combinations as compared to other synths.

so now I wait for the New Roland Fantom G7 to ship to see what that's like. It will be my first Roland Synth.

And I'm also sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how our members get along with the new Korg Pa2xpro. I may sell my trusty Tyros 2 and get the Pa2xpro. It all depends on how Stephenm does with his; LOL

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#225748 - 02/04/08 10:02 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I just recently purchase the new Korg M3 Synth as an upgrade to the Triton Extreme that I owned. Yuk! I didn't like the Pianos at all. Also, it was very thin on Programs and Combinations as compared to other synths.

so now I wait for the New Roland Fantom G7 to ship to see what that's like. It will be my first Roland Synth.

And I'm also sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how our members get along with the new Korg Pa2xpro. I may sell my trusty Tyros 2 and get the Pa2xpro. It all depends on how Stephenm does with his; LOL

LOL, Al I'll be sure to let you know.
The bad news the distributor was out of stock and I won't have it for at least 2 weeks.

#225749 - 02/05/08 12:19 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
hellboy44 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
As Hellboy said, the Bose isn't perfect, but it is perfect for some situations.
Most situations maybe.
DonM

Sorry, I'm well aware I've MORE than said my peace in this thread.
Can I just add/correct/clarify something? (my bad).

The Bose DOESN'T sound Perfect - Out of the Box - but I should've explained myself better.

What I really meant to say (or more accurately, add) was that unless the user is familiar with Gain Structure you won't use the system to it's fullest potential. I've already improved the sound IMMENSELY since our first gigs (and let me tell ya it was NOT that bad to begin with!!) and I'm confident that I will have it sounding perfect (for our needs) VERY soon.

Please don't get the impression the sound quality is in question with this system, it's seriously more a case of the USER knowing how to USE the system - and this particular user ain't that bright!!!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#225750 - 02/05/08 05:07 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Steve,

So now there will be two of us waiting for the UPS man? LOL I thought Frankie had one at his store? He sold it already? Wow.

Al

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online