SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#225721 - 02/01/08 07:21 AM well..how is the new gear working out?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys and Gals with new gear...tell us all about it..

Are you happy? Disappointed?

Care to share with us?

#225722 - 02/01/08 08:09 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
zuki Offline

Will report next week.......

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#225723 - 02/01/08 08:15 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You'll soon be playing the "Mama Blue" Zuki...cool!

Some people, not mentioning any names, can't keep a secret.

#225724 - 02/01/08 08:20 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
zuki Offline

HA HA -

I'm really looking forward to determining what all the fuss was about

I still do my 900 live - nice to have a security blanket

Will do some comparisons...should be fun.

How are you doing?????

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#225725 - 02/01/08 08:28 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
ianmcnll Offline

I'm doing great, Jim...just a bit nervous about next week.

I think you'll like "Mama Blue"...she's never visited my neighborhood, so I'm relying on your assessment.

Ian

#225726 - 02/01/08 08:28 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Dnj Offline

I'll put it this way........the S900 & Traynor K4 combo has made in 2 gigs yesterday more then what I paid for them both pieces already so the rest now is all gravy so to speak..........

As far as my opinions on them is 3 fold....I, love, dislike, & hate different areas of my new acquired gear as follows.......

The S900 Sounds fantastic, its actually a Mini T2 / 3k in a sleeker designed package, loading, editing, tweaking was all done exactly the same, they have included many of the SA sounds (not all) to keep you excited in each category of sounds.....many of the styles are re-tweaked and sound wonderful also, I was happy with the overall sound. The K4 really surprised me and had NO problem filling the room and producing a great clear distinct sound which IMO rivaled my previous Two Mackie Srm 450's in a different way. The Mackies are very LOUD and being they are only a TWO-WAY Powered PA system alot of the sound emanating from the keyboard styles & sounds plus my vocals gets MUDDLED in the mix & is not clear and separated as was the case with the Traynor K4 which is a 5 Speaker stereo system.....this translates in a much clearer sound which can really show off the different frequencies and as a result your Vocals Sear thru.....& when I played a lead be it a Piano, organ, guitar, growl sax etc it CUTS thru the mix and really gives you an awesome sound to show off all the parts being played from Low to High. When I went out in the audience in the back of the room & there were almost 200 people there having the K4 in the Tilted 45 angled Position to let the sound reflect of the ceiling I cold not believe the fantastic way this amp covers a room without being abusive in that there wasn't that too loud "IN YOUR FACE" projection which annoys the closer tables.........also no matter where you went even in the restrooms which are thru the hall way and way in the rear of the building I was able to hear the music fine all the way back there. Best part I dont have to carry 2 srm 450's & 2 stands anymore either

Now for the dislikes......S900, The Vocal harmonizer is terrible ....& in no way is even in the same league Even major tweaking the parameters in the same pro caliber as the TC Helicon, Roland G70, or Digitec units. Yamaha has really faltered in regard on any of their arrangers unit & I have had them all....I hope in the future they can really step up & include a Pro Quality Vocal harmonizer unit inside... Display is too low its a bit hard of an angle to see even with the adjustment knob, without a slight lift to the back of the keyboard....same lightweight spongy plastic keys no change from the 3k,

I hate the REAR Mic & Pedal input locations which are in the center of the unit.....when You use a APEX KB stand the center pole is directly blocking theses inputs....this in turn makes you have to PULL OUT the KB a few inches toward you for plug access ....very bad design on Yamaha's part for sure these should all be to one side like the Pa800.

Im sure I'll think of more as I go along....but for now Im a happy camper

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-01-2008).]

#225727 - 02/01/08 08:31 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Fran...the Electro is great...using it on all my jobs. Using the SH-201 on a film score this week-end. The GW-7 is permanently installed over an MS-60 on one of my house jobs.

I'll also use the Midjay I got from Don on the film score I'm working on. Be working straight through until next Friday at Noon (deadline) on a film, with score for an automobile manufacturer. Got to do it...that's how I can afford new toys.

Gotta love the new toys...!

Russ

#225728 - 02/01/08 08:47 AM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
ianmcnll Offline

I've been using a Yamaha CP-300 digital piano for the past week to satisfy my piano yearnings.

Absolutely awesome...best hammer action in the business...Pianos and Electric pianos are incredible...nice long sustains with no looping glitches.

Has all the toys for acoustic piano realism... String Resonance (harmonic overtones), Stereo Sustain (open strings while pedaling), and even Key-Off Samples (recordings of felt dampers coming to rest on vibrating piano strings) --

The B-3 emulation is pretty good too, but not as good as the Nord C1 or the Hammond Xk-1....and the action is too heavy for real organ playing, but it's fine for laying down pads.

It's not an arranger, but it would make a great controller for one...unfortunately it's HEAVY...71 lbs heavy...so, for now it's a studio/practise instrument until I can get a lighter DP with the same quality sounds and action.

Ian

#225729 - 02/01/08 12:08 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
DNJ,
I'm not looking to start trouble and I really am interested in why you went back to the yammie. You sounded so happy with the korg you almost had me convinced. And I'm sure you at least peaked the interest of more than a few others here.
Was it the OS? like going home again?
Or did I miss something along the line.

#225730 - 02/01/08 12:47 PM Re: well..how is the new gear working out?
Dnj Offline

Mike I can play & perform with any arranger on the market as I have done having so many models.......the PA800 is by far the closest thing on the market to being the Perfect Live Performance Arranger KB for sure....it has so many quality PRO features that are in many ways superior and well thought out by its designers....yes it has some faults like they all do ....but its more of a PERSONAL NEEDS issue versus anything wrong with the keyboard. Lets face it we are living in a high tech age of electronic marvels that really supercedes anything just a few short years ago in regards to instruments.....If I had to say anything it would be that Korg needs to provide much more in the styles department there simply isnt enough available for MY Needs......that's something that Yamaha, Ketron, Roland, have in their favor bar none....I like Korg styles very much with their 16 bar loops and just the way the progress thru variations with very cool dynamic changes throughout etc, etc, .....I miss that & I miss the excellent TC Helicon vocal harmonizer alot too BIG TIME! . I'll be OK for now, but be assured I have my eyes open for the next WAVE of KB arrangers to come to market of which I am very optimistic & excited that this next time we will be very happy with what we are gonna see in the arranger world for sure!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-01-2008).]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online