SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#225572 - 01/31/08 02:13 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Another 'Thread gone wild!'...

Chas, I wasn't trying to 'bait' you (and it's hardly cajoling!). I just think it's a shame that, while you are obviously good enough to play with some of the finest, we aren't good enough to hear it.

I never try to 'bait' a player into posting (you'll notice I don't try, unlike Donny, getting perhaps weaker players to 'put up or shut up'), in fact, the only people I DO ask to hear are ones I REALLY want to, as I can usually tell from their demeanor and attitude whether they got the goods or not. I like to listen to jazz organ, and would like to hear what you are doing. No further motive than that.

I remember you popping in to Roland-arranger.com to listen to a little Zawinul thing I did a while back, and the nice comment you made (appreciated ) but there ARE mistakes and bad arranger tracking in it. I don't think it would have got posted at all if I followed the 'guidelines' above. It's a cover, it's got mistakes, it's not a factory demo. And you'd have never heard it. Would you be poorer for missing it? I doubt it! But it wasn't posted as a 'look at me!' kind of thing, just a tribute to a guy I liked.

Other things have been posted by me as arranger sound and capability demos, particularly after the uninformed (or just ill-advised!) trashing of the G70 when it first came out. A C1 demo from you might be posted in the same vein... But only if you want to, of course. But, of course, these things are not posted by me to gain respect (I am reasonably content in my own skin!) but simply as illustrations in a book about art. You can TALK about Van Gogh or Jackson Pollack (or Stan Lee!) all you want, but without a single illustration, it's not so illuminating .

The whole 'factory demo' thing is something of a blind alley, as far as I am concerned. Sometimes they are WAY better than an average player can make them (Roland typically NEVER post demos that are done just by arranger playing... they are heavily edited SMF's, initially derived in part from arranger play), and then some like Mediastation are very poor in contrast to what a reasonable player could make of them. So, to a certain extent, it is up to us (the consumer) to provide a little 'reality check'.

Could I go and Google a bunch of C1 YouTube demos? Sure could. But it would be nice if I could just hear one (and I know it'll be good!) and go 'I know that guy!'?

Sure would!

#225573 - 01/31/08 03:22 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, Diki, Diki. Looks like you just won't take NO for an answer. I don't know why it's so important for you to hear an old, washed up organ player that doesn't even play your kind of music. Sounds like morbid curiosity to me. Okay, here's the deal. I still will not post on this board but if it's that important to you, I'll make a short clip and email it to you. I took my Zoom H2 with me to last rehearsal to tape something for Miami Mo, but in the heat of rehearsal, I forgot all about it. I'll just have to make you a track here. This is whats involved. Take it out of it's practice rig in the rec room, set up a temporary stand in my studio, get it wired into my Akai DPS24, cut a track using a drum pattern from one of the arrangers, do a rough mix, port it over to Reaper or something for conversion to mp3. Put everything back. Sounds like it has all the makings of that Bruce Katz demo video. But for you......

Do you have decent bandwith, as I usually render mp3's at 320, but I can knock it down as much as 192. Maybe I'll have time to do it tonight, depends on the Democratic debate. If not, I'll do it tomorrow. Geez, what a waste of time and effort, to prove what? Shall I include pics?

chas

#225574 - 01/31/08 03:33 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas...I'd love for you to send me one too, if it's not a bother...192kbps is fine for me....please.

The Nord C1 is back-ordered and I may not get to try it before going in the hospital.

Anyway, no pressure for the tune...I leave it up to you.

Ian

#225575 - 01/31/08 03:38 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks chas... Yes, I have broadband. You are not indulging my morbid curiosity, and I am probably the LAST guy on this forum to not want to hear music I don't play. In fact, my greatest joy is to hear stuff I don't actually make a living doing! My tastes range from Bjørk to Bach, from Soca to Sinatra, from Amy Grant to Amy Winehouse. If it's good, I can dig it...

And you don't learn by not listening.

BTW, no pics necessary, unless you can put me in by the door!

#225576 - 01/31/08 04:54 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I feel slighted Chas...

#225577 - 01/31/08 06:09 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... Well, I guess it's nice to know that AT LEAST Diki has enough of your respect to grant him a listen.

I am NOT going to ask for it, as I said I wouldn't ... BUT, my e-mail address is in my profile..
t.

#225578 - 01/31/08 08:40 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Chas, just curious. Last year you put forth the notion of an SZ collaboration tune, primarily focusing on those with talents apart from arrangers. Yet now you have no desire to post any music here at all, either because it is too much work, or it is not arranger music, or whatever else. Almost seems like a complete reversal on some levels.

I haven't posted much music here either. but I've posted enough that people who want to know can know. And I won't start any threads opining over who should post and who shouldn't. I'll just be discriminating about who I do listen to. And the list is not that long.

#225579 - 02/01/08 01:04 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
if it wouldnt be too much trouble chas......me too please.

#225580 - 02/01/08 06:24 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
WHY post music on an arranger board? I'm not really sure. Most of the music posted uses arranger styles

Maybe because this is an arranger forum?

Sharing arrangements with arranger keyboards, on arranger message boards, is what some desire, and some do not.

Sorry, I'm lost with this thread...what is the point?

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225581 - 02/01/08 06:49 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:

Sorry, I'm lost with this thread...what is the point?

Larry

The point is, if you want to share your music, do it; if you don't, then don't. The post was in response to pressure by some members who don't seem to understand the second part of the preceding statement. The opinions expressed in the post are mine alone. If you don't agree with some or all or any of them, that's fine. If you don't see the point, then just skip down to the next thread that you DO get. Problem solved.

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online