SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#225256 - 01/28/08 09:52 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just remember, theater sound reinforcement is quite different to an OMB situation. Multiple wireless mics, well in front of the PA (most dinner theater is 'in the round'), spoken voice not singing...

This is not to say the PAS won't do the job, just that there are different concerns in a theater situation...

#225257 - 01/29/08 07:53 AM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki has a point, and I had the same concerns about 7 months ago when I was seriously considering the purchase of a Countryman E6 mic. However, my fears were quickly aleviated when I went to my daughter's church for my grandson's Christening. The church was huge, had lots of hard surfaces, high ceiling, etc..,the worst accoustics anyone could imagine.

Hanging on wall on both sides of the alter were a pair of Bose towers stacked three high instead of two-high, which is how the L1 is configured. Both preachers, the choir director, a lady minister, and a half-dozen singers were all using wireless Countryman E6 mics. At times they walked within two feet of the towers, and not once during the hour we spent there did the system experience any feedback at all. I've had similar experiences using the Samson Q7 handheld and Crown CM311A headset mics. I imagine that if someone were to use an inexpensive, omni-directional mic with the volume cranked up high and then stand within a foot of the tower it would likely produce some feedback. And, of course, the mic's EQs will also have a bearing on this as well.

The best aspect, though, is that if the system doesn't work out, they can always send it back to Bose within the 45-day prescribed trial period for a full refund.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#225258 - 01/30/08 04:00 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
All - thanks so much for your thoughts on the Bose PAS! I sent her the link and she's encouraged by all the expertise on this forum - and of course, hearing first-hand accounts based on performance certainly lends more credence than just reading the Bose ads.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#225259 - 01/31/08 06:47 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
My brother is basically Head of Deptarment in Media for a Major University in Brisbane Australia (Brisbane being a Major City) and has installed one in their lecture theater.

I say this because they do nothing BUT lectures/spoken word events, and so as far as I'm concerned, the L1 should cover any Dialog beautifully.

See if she can afford the Model 2 which has better coverage (wider dispersal of sound) than the Model 1 - either way, I doubt she'll be disappointed.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#225260 - 02/02/08 08:30 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I use my L1 for a few school functions in a 400 seat church, and it's soooo good, we chose to use it even for the performances when the church's built in system is available. Mind you, the audio in this church cost over $250,000 dollars. It's a good system. For our needs, the Bose does the job almost the same. (VERY serious)
Small area of difference is in the feedback area. The church's system is far more prone to squeal than my system is !

I had my first "issue" today, if you can even call it that. I did a birthday party in a finished basement that has a 7ft ceiling. The tower was too tall to fit, so I gently rocked it backwards and tilted it to face upwards. it rested nicely on the wall, I propped the bottom up, and the sound was just as good as when it is in the upright position. I'm so glad I didn't have to haul that 500lb Traynor coffin down the steps like Donny would have had too !

#225261 - 02/02/08 08:57 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Dnj Offline

Dave,

Im relieved that at least I dont have to carry 4 pieces of Bose PAS sound gear anymore & 4 tight covers to put on & off
The K4 is a blessing & sounds great put it on the Rk & Roller and off I go.
Beats carrying two 450's (51lbs each & two stands, no more lifting high up.. I also had that happen to me on a stage with a low drop ceiling ....had to shove the Bose pole up thru the ceiling panel about 8 inches
everything has its flaws...its just about what your happy with and can tolerate so your comfort level zone is adequate..FOR YOU!
but you know that

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-02-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online