SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224885 - 01/24/08 12:09 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Bill,

Not many of those styles really feature the Mega Guitars, although "Guitar Serenade", and "Flamenco" would be the closest.

Too bad you can't do the Unplugged ones, as they would be a real test, but the two I picked will do for now.

Thanks,

Ian

#224886 - 01/24/08 02:59 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#224887 - 01/24/08 03:35 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Bill,

I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible (you know I'm a Yammie fan), so here's my summation.

The conversions are pretty darn good, although it sounds like the converted styles are substituting a steel string for the "Mega Voice Nylon String" in the originals, giving a slightly thinner and harder(twangier?)sound.

Perhaps the Wersi nylon string guitar, if that's what was substituted, has a different timbre than the Yamaha voice?

I did notice an absence of fret noises and other characteristics(especially so in the Flamenco)that give the Yamaha mega voices their uncanny realism, although the dynamics seemed to convert pretty good.

These two styles are factory presets on my S900 and I did a comparison using a set of Yamaha headphones.

Still, the conversions were much better than I expected, better than others I have heard.

I want to thank you for taking the time to create the demos and post them for me.

Ian

#224888 - 01/24/08 04:30 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
thanks.
I actually used EMC to convert the PSR1500 & the T2 style to PA format.
The way EMC handles the megavoices is to put the strum & pluck noises into an SFX track which can be deleted ( if required). The squeaks that ensure in the sfx track, I am certain don't really represent the fret noises etc the T2 makes. Even with those deleted, the PSR1500 converted better than the T2.
I've been working on a method of converting psr styles without having to use EMC by just using PT12 or XG Works sequencer & OMB software ie saving the individual style parts as midifiles, editing the drum tracks to suit the PA800's drum mapping, then using the midifile import function in the PA800 to create the style.

I think I may other alternatives for getting rid of the fret noises via free 3rd party style software for the psr.
Or the fret noises can be deleted via event list editing in One Man Band software or the pc sequencer. The note mapping for the frets is in the manual.

Suppose I'm trying to reinvent the wheel by going to this trouble,but I do get a more accurate conversion. Reason also why I'll only convert the occasional style.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Rikki
If the style uses Mega voices, then they will not convert to other boards very well, as they are Midi loops with extra effects added, and so have to be controlled directly by the appropriate style software. (Upper/later Yamahas or the Wersi OAA)
If you do try to use a normal voice, then you will spend months tweaking it, but it still won’t sound correctly.
Hope this helps

Bill

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#224889 - 01/24/08 04:44 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Graham,
no problem.
When do you you need it by? as I haven't gotten round to editing the the volume jump in Intro /Ending 2.

I'm also currently trying my OMB midi to style method ( as above) to see if it gives a better result for this style..

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Rikki, do please send us your conversion of the PSR1500 style that you have already done.

God bless you.

Graham

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#224890 - 01/24/08 05:02 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

Hi Bill,

Here are quick style demos of the ones you posted, taken from my S900 and made into MP3 at 192 kbps...I've also added one of the Unplugged styles.

Styles are played on a Cmaj chord and each variation is approximately 4 bars in length and I used Intro/Ending 3.

http://www.4shared.com/file/35852669/28fc0c37/Flamenco.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/35852686/26c03c28/GuitarSerenade.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/35852718/1178c051/Unplugged1.html

Ian

#224891 - 01/24/08 09:32 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Rikki

No rush, I really appreciate you helping me with this.

Graham

#224892 - 01/25/08 01:03 AM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
abacus Offline

Hi Ian
Thanks for posting the files, I will burn them to CD and listen to them on my main Audio system when I get back from work tonight. (Probably play the mp3 files in the Abacus as well)
If all goes to plan, I should have the Abacus upgraded to OAS 7 and the OAA in the next couple of months, which will allow me to see exactly what is used.
Regards

Bill

#224893 - 01/27/08 12:20 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
abacus Offline

Hi Ian
Had a good listen, and yes there is a difference in that the S900 is more CD like, (Studio Production) however the Wersi makes the styles sound like you are listening to a live band.
Most guitar voices on the Wersi can have the fret noise changed in voice edit.
Here are 2 more styles (No normalisation required this time) that a friend has done for me, you should recognise them.
BTW the Wersi does NOT convert Yamaha styles, but plays them direct, just like Yamaha keyboards do.
Look forward to your comments

Bill

http://www.4shared.com/file/36115213/fed10e1e/nplugged1.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/36115354/51b348e/Unplugged_2.html

#224894 - 01/27/08 01:03 PM Re: Converting Tyros 2 Style to Korg Pa2X
ianmcnll Offline

Bill,

These were much better, although the guitar body thump on Unplugged1 sounded more like a bongo drum...perhaps this can be refined more?

Unplugged2 was very good too, although it did have a "steelier" sound than the S900's Mega Steel...some may like it, some not.

The idea of CD or "finished" sound of the Yamaha always appealed to me, as opposed to the "live" or more raw sound...it's like the difference between a candy apple paint job(Yamaha)or primer paint(other brands)...but, whatever spins your wheels.

Thank you for posting the demos...it's nice to hear how styles are interpreted by different arrangers.

Does the Wersi instrument these clips were played on cost much more than the S900?

Ian

(Later edit)...I should mention that a more "live" sound can be achieved on the Yamaha if one wants to play around with the Voice Set parameters, but I like the sound "as is".

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-27-2008).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online