SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#224760 - 01/19/08 07:22 PM I'm confused
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
What's all this stuff going on about Donny? I notice some of his links are gone and maybe even some of his posts have been editied or deleted. Fran said something about him being gone. What did I miss? Where's Donny? I'm BLUE!

#224761 - 01/19/08 09:34 PM Re: I'm confused
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Seems Donny returned to his habits of flaming, then editing his posts to hide his deeds. Rather than have Nigel turn off editing for ALL of us, Donny must have decided on a 'cooling down' period.

Perhaps, during this time, he can reflect on the fact that maybe he ISN'T the 'King' (I haven't heard a demo or read a post that would convince ANYONE of that fact!), and that we live in a democracy... It might be better to return as a 'citizen' than live in exile as a self-appointed despot...

It's amazing, in the land that shed royalty over two hundred years ago, how many of it's citizens like to appoint themselves as royalty... You would think after all that bloodshed, the thought of some kind of hereditary title would revolt all sensible citizens. But I guess you don't even have to look hard to find American Nazis under the rug, and that episode was MUCH more recent...

As Monty Python said... "I didn't vote for no King!"

#224762 - 01/19/08 11:28 PM Re: I'm confused
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Seems Donny returned to his habits of flaming, then editing his posts to hide his deeds. Rather than have Nigel turn off editing for ALL of us, Donny must have decided on a 'cooling down' period.

Perhaps, during this time, he can reflect on the fact that maybe he ISN'T the 'King' (I haven't heard a demo or read a post that would convince ANYONE of that fact!), and that we live in a democracy... It might be better to return as a 'citizen' than live in exile as a self-appointed despot...

It's amazing, in the land that shed royalty over two hundred years ago, how many of it's citizens like to appoint themselves as royalty... You would think after all that bloodshed, the thought of some kind of hereditary title would revolt all sensible citizens. But I guess you don't even have to look hard to find American Nazis under the rug, and that episode was MUCH more recent...

As Monty Python said... "I didn't vote for no King!"

Talk about flaming! "nazi" is a little harsh don't you think.
And of course congratulations on taking the "high road" and not "fanning the flames."

#224763 - 01/20/08 12:09 AM Re: I'm confused
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
Talk about flaming! "nazi" is a little harsh don't you think.
And of course congratulations on taking the "high road" and not "fanning the flames."

Oh I don't think I even need to add to this lol as I think Mike summed it up pretty well And you do all know that Donny's claim to be King was a joke .... doncha ??? People need to lighten up.

Though Donny also did unecessarily and intentionally incite dissention that I didn't appreciate at all and I stated that on the thread where it occurred. But lets keep things in context as it was hardly a world shattering event. Annoying and childish ? .. yes it was but that pretty much covers it.

#224764 - 01/20/08 03:50 AM Re: I'm confused
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I don't think any of us are kings, if so we were wouldn't necessarily be hanging out here.
But as Nigel mentioned reference to being a king was a joke.

I will say I have heard Donny's work on 2 different CDs the man does a terrific job on no matter what he played be it Yamaha, Ketron or Korg. His shoice of music is what I like and usually play. Donny has always been a gentleman in and off the forum to me. Hope to see him back soon.

BTW everyone here past and present I 've had contact with here on and off the forum have been nothing but gentlemen. I've bought and sold instruments thru forum members, needed help with everything from choice of instruments to " How do I connect" questions. All who were asked helped and were happy to do so.

#224765 - 01/20/08 06:44 AM Re: I'm confused
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Intolerance....How can we as older, wiser gentlemen in this day and age be intolerant of other folks views and opinions.

It's disgusting, really, that creative and abstract thinking types like musicians have to behave in this manner. Let's be hero's and lead the way towards brotherhood, tolerance, and grace.

Everyone is entitled to a fall from grace from time to time.

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#224766 - 01/20/08 07:38 AM Re: I'm confused
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Intolerance....How can we as older, wiser gentlemen in this day and age be intolerant of other folks views and opinions.
It's disgusting, really, that creative and abstract thinking types like musicians have to behave in this manner. Let's be hero's and lead the way towards brotherhood, tolerance, and grace.
Everyone is entitled to a fall from grace from time to time.

AMEN, Al ...
I just don't understand why this board, with all its talented and well meaning people would need to get a "sermon" every once in a while ...
As I've said before, I consider the members here as my extended family, and as in all families, some dissension is going to exist from time to time ... and as in all families, people need to LIGHTEN UP !!! SHEESH !!!

And I have to agree with Steve that Donny is a talented guy who produces a damn good product, and while he (Donny) may know that he is talented, and may not be shy about saying it, I doubt that even HE really thinks he is "king" ...
t.

PS: It just occured to me that, with Steve just having had surgery for prostate cancer, you would think the rest of us would realize that what we do and say here is NOT life and death !!!
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-20-2008).]

#224767 - 01/20/08 08:22 AM Re: I'm confused
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Donny wore his crown and chicken hat with equal dignity.

#224768 - 01/20/08 08:39 AM Re: I'm confused
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, but let's make sure all that 'tolerance' is distributed equally. Some of us seem to be more tolerant of some than others. "Skinny" Joey Merlino (Philly Mob boss) always passed out free turkeys to poor families in his South Philly neighborhood on Thanksgiving. That did NOT make him any less of a jerk. And while we're at it, mentioning Donny and tolerance in the same breath must be some kind of a joke. Having moderate talent (VERY subjective) and 'passing out an occasional turkey', does not give one license to be a jerk, although there are some of lesser talent that seem to think so.

I know that I (along with some of my SZ friends) can sometimes act like jerks, but there is a line that we won't cross, and that, IMO, is what keeps US from being TRUE jerks. I have a very thick skin (except in one area) and can tolerate most things until it takes on a tone that shouldn't be tolerated in any community of artists.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 01-20-2008).]

#224769 - 01/20/08 09:29 AM Re: I'm confused
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Yeah, but let's make sure all that 'tolerance' is distributed equally. Some of us seem to be more tolerant of some than others.

chas

I agree with chas let us not forget, in our praise, who brings this on themselves and not just one accident but repeatedly.
It was the exact same words the same insults used over and over last year. Same challenge, same threat to quit, the only thing that changed is this year it was defending a different keyboard.
So let us just move on and remember once a month or so history will repeat it self(for some at least).

#224770 - 01/21/08 09:33 AM Re: I'm confused
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
How sad! The ego is a powerful thing.

Locating issues that are more important is really easy.

I have had direct contact via email with Donny, and he was great.

Let's respect him for his strengths and hope that this foolishness goes away and he's here again soon!

Russ

#224771 - 01/21/08 03:01 PM Re: I'm confused
mr9000 Offline

To those yet again falling into the gutter of low roads..yet again..go back and reflect a time,oh about 1.5mths ago, when so many were fearing this site was shut down/lost forever. Just a seasonal rememberance as the history again repeats.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 01-21-2008).]

#224772 - 01/21/08 04:37 PM Re: I'm confused
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry about my earlier post, and the misunderstandings from it. Firstly, let me say that the Nazi reference in it was in NO WAY a commentary about Donny whatsoever, just an illustration that it doesn't take long for some of us to forget WHY something was wrong in the first place, and to revive it... That paragraph was simply a commentary on how royal titles are so popular in american culture. Often, it is a sign of respect from others. And sometimes it is simply self-aggrandizement. You make your own mind up. It isn't strictly about whether you CALL yourself 'King' or whatever, it is whether you start to behave like one...

As to taking the high road... Once it has been tried and failed several times, another route needs investigating. Ian, Fran, myself and Donny all called a 'truce' and 'devil take the hindmost' before Christmas after things were getting silly, again. Didn't last very long, did it? If less than a month is all Donny can tolerate before he starts flaming and running, it doesn't bode well for the future, does it? What's the point in a lull? If it is inevitable it starts again...?

You might notice that I have NOT gone back and edited or removed my initial post in this thread. From looking at it again, I can see how misinterpreted my words might have been, and how harsh a tone I used. And I apologize for this. I was, at the time, extremely upset that after things seemed like they had calmed down again, back comes the same old cr@p, and off we go! This is one of the few places where one can get a decent discussion going about arrangers, and their future as musical instruments, and it has been taking quite a hit from spats and feuds that don't belong here (we DO have email and Skype, if you wish to get personal!). Several have left, several post infrequently now. I would like to see a return to the way things were.

So, I do NOT go back and edit my post. I leave it up there, as a warning to MYSELF to be more careful proofing what I type. As a sign that I am man enough to not hide my misdeeds, and leave threads with baffling gaps and one sided retorts. If Donny could understand the cowardliness (is that too harsh a word? Put your own choice in there yourself, then) in removing his own tirades (and replacing them with a smiley, of all things!), perhaps, well firstly he might not do it. And secondly, he might refrain from the tirade in the first place, or at least acknowledge that whatever invective he wishes to let us read will remain for all time.

Editing our posts is a way for us to either clarify something we posted, or to correct typos and facts. NOT flame and run and hide with a 'This message edited by' shroud of cowardice.

I am NOT going to remove my post. It WAS wrong, I apologize, and it will remain for all to see (without anyone else having to go to the bother of quoting me!) forever. As a warning to ME to be more careful in what I post.

And hopefully, a warning to others, too...

'Post in haste, repent at leisure'

#224773 - 01/21/08 05:02 PM Re: I'm confused
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

'Post in haste, repent at leisure'

Spoken like a true gentleman.

#224774 - 01/21/08 05:12 PM Re: I'm confused
cgiles Offline

Diki, I love you man. You're every bit as full of crap as I am. I know you mean well , but your wit (and your tongue) are way too sharp not to pierce something at some point (probably the near future ). But so what. You've managed, for the most part, to stay within acceptable boundaries, and imagine how utterly boring this place would be without flamboyant individuals such as yourself, Ian (before he got religion and picked up a copy of 'Miss Manners'), Fran (who never saw a Roland he didn't like), TonyMads (who thinks a new knee is actually going to improve his golf game...hah), Nigel (who is torn between 'free speech' and world war III), and the many other interesting and unique individuals that make up this one-of-a-kind board. Heck, I'd even like to see the return of ScottYee (not his music, just Scott) and SqueakD (every board should have at LEAST two 'brothers').

So I say, sit on that 'apology' for awhile, at least until you've been 'clean and sober' for a minimum of three months.

chas

#224775 - 01/21/08 05:35 PM Re: I'm confused
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Ian (before he got religion and picked up a copy of 'Miss Manners'

That's "Mr. Manners" to you, and, it is during times like these that I thank God I'm an atheist.

Ian the Pure

Re: the Edit...forgot the smiley.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-21-2008).]

#224776 - 01/21/08 07:05 PM Re: I'm confused
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
"(every board should have at LEAST two 'brothers')"

Amen

#224777 - 01/21/08 07:11 PM Re: I'm confused
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Taike,

Good to see you back again....hope things are well with you and your family.

AND.....Did you get yourself a keyboard?

Ian the Curious

#224778 - 01/21/08 07:39 PM Re: I'm confused
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hi Taike,

Good to see you back again....hope things are well with you and your family.

AND.....Did you get yourself a keyboard?

Ian the Curious

Hi Ian,

Off-topic, but since you're asking:

My family's fine. Mapanoy celebrated his first birthday last Sunday (Jan. 20). I'll be next on the 25th, just not my first.

No keyboard yet. I'm not in a rush but I might make my final decision in the next few months or so. My Thai friend's Kawai XR9000 is a joy to play. http://www.organstop.com/images/kawai9000whte.gif

Ian, are there still any cats around in Nova Scotia?

Taike

#224779 - 01/22/08 12:38 AM Re: I'm confused
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Good to see you again Taike. Hope you stay.

Staying in topic, I am bored of saying the same questions over and over:

Why can't we behave like adults?
Why can't SZ be a civilized place? (not sterilized mind you, just civilized enough, say like, "first drink" civilized, not "half a bottle later" civilized, if you know what I mean)

I am sure you are tired of repeating the same questions too. Everyone, it is in our hands to at least TRY not to have to repeat them again.

On the other hand, people don't change. And considering that most Synthzoners are in their 50's or close... they won't even try.

The thing that annoys me most though, is that with the time difference, i usually log in just before the storm, then next day I log on the battle is already fought and the field is being cleared from the paramedics (Nigel). Almost never had the opportunity to watch a fight in all its glory.

Time to get more cofee!

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-22-2008).]

#224780 - 01/22/08 07:14 AM Re: I'm confused
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Trident, don't feel bad about missing all the action. I'm usually signed in most of the day and I still miss a lot of the action; I apparently missed this one. When it comes to dueling between our usual suspects, the action is fast, furious and sometimes invisible.

#224781 - 01/22/08 07:54 AM Re: I'm confused
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
We must remember we're dealing with artists here and artists can be tempramental. Also, pissing contests seem to be really popular here from time to time. It all works out in the end. It's still a great place to hang out.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#224782 - 01/22/08 08:27 AM Re: I'm confused
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
LOL Cassp,
I don't feel alone now

#224783 - 01/22/08 09:23 AM Re: I'm confused
cgiles Offline

This board proves one thing above all else; OLD MEN have Waaayyy too much time on their hands. Well, not ME, of course.

chas

PS: Shouldn't we all be practicing?

#224784 - 01/22/08 09:24 AM Re: I'm confused
Taike Offline

Only apologize when you mean it. Otherwise your next apology carries no weight whatsoever. It's very simple, isn't it?

I once apologized to Ian and I meant it.

Thank you, Trident.

Taike

#224785 - 01/22/08 10:39 AM Re: I'm confused
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
This board proves one thing above all else; OLD MEN have Waaayyy too much time on their hands. Well, not ME, of course.

chas

PS: Shouldn't we all be practicing?

Not you what? old men? or too much time? LOL

#224786 - 01/22/08 10:59 AM Re: I'm confused
ianmcnll Offline

How come people tell you to stay a kid for as long as you can...yet the moment you do anything childish or immature they tell you to grow up.

#224787 - 01/22/08 11:20 AM Re: I'm confused
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
How come people tell you to stay a kid for as long as you can...yet the moment you do anything childish or immature they tell you to grow up.

Because we all want our kids to be WELL BEHAVED ... no matter how old or young they are ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-22-2008).]

#224788 - 01/22/08 11:25 AM Re: I'm confused
cgiles Offline

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever".

Germaine Greer Quote.

chas

#224789 - 01/22/08 05:03 PM Re: I'm confused
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I used to post a lot but I stopped because of certain people. I think is unfair the people hijack a post because they don't side with a PA-800 or a Roland G-1000. Were all going to have opinions on keyboards and what works best for one may not work for another. well I hope this works out for all of us......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online