SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224725 - 01/19/08 09:53 AM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian I don't think this is new technology at all..Aren't the SA sounds basically multi sampled tones that are velocity sensitive and velocity switched...same thing we have used with boards like the XP80, and others that allowed a wide range of velocity and velocity switching of tones..

Sure , the tone samples are better than 10 years ago, since more memory is being used today..for wav[PCM] tables..

#224726 - 01/19/08 10:11 AM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Perhaps not "new" technology, Fran...but Yamaha has taken it to a new level and offers it on a mid range keyboard...pretty cool stuff in my book.

The G70 or the PA -800, both MUCH more expensive than an S900, do not offer this level of "live" control over samples.

The SA Sax is another example...terrific realism...legato and staccato playing give different nuances and attacks and switch between polyphonic and mono according to the player's expression.

Roland has some new technology, started on the Atelier organs that resembles SA, but the demos I heard didn't impress me, and the "SuperNatural" sounds on the new RDs and Fantoms are supposedly pretty cool...no doubt Roland will have these in their new G-series arranger.

Until they do, these very expressive voices are a Yamaha exclusive.

Ian

#224727 - 01/19/08 10:47 AM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I can remember experimenting with this sound design around the early 90's..
We use to velocity switch the 4 partials of a tone[on a Roland D-70],..giving us 4 elements of a sound..and the D70 would go one step further..allowing, 5 of these 4 partial tones within a performance..all velocity switched..again...at 31 polyphony it could be tricky...

#224728 - 01/19/08 11:10 AM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep, the technology itself has been around a while...I used a D-70 in a friend's studio for several months, it was midi'd to a D-550 module (awesome!), which had a PG1000 programmer...we had a ball...the sky was the limit.

The beauty of Yamaha's SA voices are they are under the player's control whilst playing "live".

If these new "SuperNatural" voices from Roland, I saw only drums and Electric Pianos, are made to include Guitars and other instruments, and there's no reason why they shouldn't, I'd say if the new G-series incorporates this technology, it will be quite an instrument.

Since the T3 will be only 5 octaves, Roland will have no competition in the 76 note arranger field as Korg have nothing resembling either SA or SuperNatural voices as of yet.

Ian

#224729 - 01/19/08 04:09 PM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Every loves their choices,great.

contd-
BTW -PA can also do guitar slides like 900.

Brass - both are great, yam has the edge

woodwinds - I like both

Overall sound -

Yam -some of the sounds are exceptional , but generally speaking -individual XG patchs doesn't match Triton's workstation quality sound

Korg - each individual sound with some exceptions(if you use sound/program mode)are very useful ,in a sequence
or solo,very responsive.Drums - fuller/more variety /more ethnic kits.

Yes Korg has more features/more powerful seq and editing,loads Triton programs(minus EFX).

I think it's unacceptable to put cheap quality mod/pitch wheels to a $1600 Kb.Yam can do better -add $50 and use Motif's rubber wheels and it will save the KB from cheap looking and feeling wheels (like E403).Durability of the wheels can be an issue later because personally I use them alot.(I prefer the joystik ,but that's another story).Even mini Mo has bigger and more durable wheels.
PSR s 900 is a KB with potential and will sell like cakes if they put more money on cetain areas.Yam knows that people will still buy them so they kept on doing the things that are not acceptable .

Here is what Korg and Roland have to do to beat Yam in arranger world.

They have the sounds,built quality,keys,features (like in 900$ PA 50-you can replace all the styles,more slots for styles etc).but they are missing major points as an ARRANGER like-

1.Straight forward navigation and single button pressing

2.(for westen and asian )(not mid east) players - good simple 8 beats/rock/disco,reggae beats and ballads(ofcourse simple jazz and country too) -I said SIMPLE ,not over done.Don't put too much RnB/Motown/ stuff,people gonna use SMFs for super famous songs.Don't put 5 jives styles or 5/4 jazz beats.For mid east players -it's another story.

3.Simple(and many) fills that doesn't need too much work while you are playing.

I think T2 is over priced too.If you compare to G70 and PA2x pro built quality,features.
But Yam will still get away (people will still buy them cause they don't have a choice) because they did the arranger section right(OS,styles,fills).

In workstaion world- sounds and function (and OS)wise Triton has beaten Fantoms and early Motifs,But this is the arranger world - STyles/fills and OS(easy navigation while playing) is the KEY! Wake up!

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-19-2008).]

#224730 - 01/19/08 07:50 PM Re: PSR S-900 and PA 800 review
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The way it seems is the PSR-S900 is already selling like hot-cakes. For some of us that own PSR-3000s, which I believe was the best selling keyboard on the market, upgrading to an S-900 may not be enough of an upgrade to take the plunge. However, this may depend upon what you intend to use the keyboard for.

The PA-800 has lots of great features, and undisputedly has an outstanding vocal processor. For me, the operating system leaves a lot to be desired, and I was not overwhelmed with the styles. The drums are hot--no doubt about it! But, you can tune any keyboard's drums to make them hot--if you know how to use the onboard tools and registrations.

From MY perspective, there is no keyboard that can be considered the perfect keyboard. They all have lots of neat features, and most have great sounds. I sincerely believe it's a shame that the vast majority of folks that purchase keyboards never take the time to explore all of their keyboard's features. Fortunately, there are forums such as the Synthzone and a few others that have a contingency of members that are willing to share their technical knowledge with the overall membership.

Reviews such as this one are, of course, very subjective. They usually provide a broad overview based upon the experiences of individuals that have taken the time to field test a specific keyboard, then report their findings. Most of the time they are quite concise, informative, and provide the reader with a wealth of information that can be very benificial, particularly if that person is in the market for a new keyboard. What I would personally like to see is more first-hand information posted in the same format that George Kay frequently posts, which I believe is unbiased, very informative and extremely beneficial to everyone.

In the past, when a person purchased a keyboard, regardless of the brand, and encountered a problem, he or she would post a question to the masses of this form in hopes of solving the problem. This, unfortunately, is no longer the case. Hopefully, the confrontational posts that seem to have dominated the forum during the past year will soon cease to exist. At least I hope this is the case.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online