SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224305 - 01/14/08 06:59 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Playing like a guitarist is just one of those things... You either can, or you can't. Guitarists have all kinds of weird voicings and techniques that are utterly alien to keyboard players, and you have to study them pretty hard (helps if you already play guitar well) to learn what NOT to play, primarily...!

Get that part right, and you are well on your way...

(BTW, guitar synthesis is NOT my forte, so I stick to using the real thing whenever possible!)

#224306 - 01/14/08 09:47 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Tony

I agree, great sound and good playing or sequencing.

Gary, Don, Diki:

Thanx for your replies, but you know your answers are not answering my question really. You talked about everything except what this thread was all about. This was not about my playing ability or anybody elses, this was about a guitar sound that I think is exceptional and if anyone can actually reproduce this EXACT sound on their keyboard. Thanx for the attempt though.

The right sound can inpspire a player and cause him to play better because of that. What comes to mind on this at the moment is the clarinet and vibes sound on my old KN1000. Those were excptional sounds, and inspired me to emulate Benny Goodman, Pete Fountain and Lionel Hampton. I won't use the clarinet sound on my Tyros 2 because it doesn't have the sound I like and doesn't inpire me except in a negative way. I sparingly use some vibes on the T2, but really it's a pretty thin sound and I tend to play it differently than I would on the KN1000.

Anyway, I actually would be interested yet in some replies pertaining directly to my question.

Scott

#224307 - 01/14/08 10:31 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
the Tyros 2 has to my ears the best jazz guitar sound among all the arranger keyboards currently on the market. I own also a Fantom ES rack and a Motif XR and was unable to find a jazz guitar sound that comes close to the Tyros, not even on the Motif, and this goes to prove that they don't share the same sound set.
That said, I had a listen to the MP3 of Sweet Georgia Brown and, while I have to agree with others that a lot of the final result depends on the voicings used to play those chords, I think that it would be possible to work on the Tyros' Jazz Guitar and make it close to the sound you mentioned.
To do this, however, I am afraid that you would need a keyboard with greater sound editing possibilities, compared with the Tyros, because the following steps would be involved:
1- Close the hi-pass filter or, with a graphic equalizer, mute almost all the frequencies above 4000 Hz.
2- Mute all the low frequencies as well (let your ears be the judge here, but I would consider 500 Hz as a good cutoff point).
3- Boost the mid frequencies substantially (the amount depends on what kind of sound you are after; when I had a Gibson ES 175 and a Fender Super Reverb I used to set the mid level to "8", to get the Joe Pass sound... and I nailed it!)
4- On the Tyros 2 use one of the amp simulator effects, because this will add a lot of authenticity to your sound. The sound I hear on the MP3 is mono and no jazz guitar is good played in stereo (we are not talking Pat Metheny here!)
5- Keep the reverb level to the minimum and use one of the Room algorhythms (jazz guitars tend to sound bad in large halls and in fact you tipically hear them in a small environment, or at least that's the way they are supposed to sound...)

Let me know what you come up with...

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 01-14-2008).]

#224308 - 01/14/08 11:01 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx Dreamer

Good response. Some good ideas to try. I pretty much agree with what you have to say. The jazz guitar is quite good on the T2, it's just a little fatter than I've heard guitars players that I like use.

I'm thinking a lot of tweaking and experimenting can get things close to what I or anyone else might be looking for, but I also tend to think it would be pretty hard to make that one identical.

I had hoped that the use of sampled sounds on the T2 was going to be more than what it has turned out to be ,which is basically nothing. Yamaha really let the ball drop on this issue. Nobody seems to know much if anything about it. I would have thought they would have produced some great new sounds by now. I think the reason I don't see anyone complain about this is that what is on the T2 is all quite outstanding to begin with.

I wonder if the sound I like could be sampled and used in those banks. Thing is I have no clue on what to do about that. If that could be done, I'd also lift the vibes and clarinet sound off the KN1000 which my father-in-law bought from me, and other sounds that I prefer according to my style and touch of playing.

#224309 - 01/14/08 11:54 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Dreamer Offline

Scott,
you have the Soundfonts file to begin with, don't you? So you could convert that file to .wav format and try to import it into the Tyros RAM.
There is a program called "Extreme Sample Converter" that can do the job in a matter of seconds.

Link to the program website here

#224310 - 01/15/08 12:17 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the info Dreamer. This is actually the first post I have come across on any forum that had any info like this to make use of sampled sounds on the T2.

Have you or anyone else you know done anything like this yet? I'm thinking if I understand what I'm seeing that I could get the good sounds off my old KN1000 along with others.

I wonder if there are any freeware versions of this type of thing out there.

Scott

#224311 - 01/15/08 12:41 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you have the playing ability, then you can play the sound 100% accurately on a Wersi OAS instrument. (The advantage of an open system)

Bill

#224312 - 01/15/08 12:51 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the input Bill. But, again, if any person played, let's say a C note, or a C chord with this sound, and played the same notes in the chord, I don't think it will sound any different regardless if they are a beginner or a pro

#224313 - 01/15/08 01:02 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Dreamer Offline

Scott,
yes, actually I have done what I wrote already and it works! Of course you have to have good samples to start with...

#224314 - 01/15/08 01:21 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Dreamer

I am wondering if I have the wav file if I still would need a sampler like this or not.

Also, wondering if you can give me any direction as to where I can find out more about this on the T2.

This is really interesting news to me. I attempted several times to get a knowledgeable thread going on different appropriate forums and nobody seemed to have a clue and the only thing I seemed to get out of it that it was more problem than it was worth. Even people like Michael Bedesem was in about the same spot as all of us. I basically just gave up checking into it. So it's great to hear some good tips on this.

Scott

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online