SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#224221 - 01/16/08 01:58 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Dnj Offline

Fran ....excelllent LIVE sound well played

Thanx for sharing!

#224222 - 01/16/08 01:58 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Fran,

You have e-mail (and it's revealed in my profile now)

spalding,

As I understood, Korg PA-800 guitar mode is for style-playing only (and sequencer I guess), there is no mention of solo playing in the manual.

Roland guitar mode should be recordable in sequencer, but cannot be used in styles.

Dnj,

If someone is good keyboard player, he will sound good no matter what keyboard he plays.

The point is that this very same player will sound to himself much better when playing on better keyboard.

Anyway, as I understood nobody here started "this back & forth mumbo jumbo mine is better then yours" it's just comparison of two arrangers from same manufacturer, with no offense to any other keyboard.

#224223 - 01/16/08 02:03 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, I haven't heard anyone that could play the "special" voices in real time..and for a guitar mode..you would have to play according to the mode's techniques..

Maybe that is why Yamaha has stayed away from the Guitar mode..

Not really Fran...SA voices include guitars and are meant to be played in real time...the Mega voices are for styles.

#224224 - 01/16/08 03:20 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The reason Yamaha Mega Voices are so good is because they are Midi loops that have been recorded using a Midi controller suitable for the instrument, (Guitar Mega voice = Guitar controller) with additional effects controllable by velocity and out of range notes.
This is also why style conversion software cannot make a good conversion with a Mega voice style to any other keyboard.
The only way to get a Mega voice style to sound even better is to play it on a Wersi with the OAA (Open Art Arranger) software, which allows the sounds to come alive without the compression effects of the Yamaha sound system.

Bill

#224225 - 01/16/08 04:42 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Like I said in previous posts ....all this back & forth mumbo jumbo mine is better then yours, sounds styles dont mean squat.....if you ain't a player......when does this infantile mentality stop?
Just ask yourself this........if there was the perfect keyboard made tomorrow & it was free for you to have .....would you sound better as a "player" or not!

I think not UNLESS you ARE A GOOD PLAYER all else is secondary.....or a faker.

I rest my case...........

An extraordinary post from the guy that has gone through more different arrangers in the last two years that anyone else...

Of course that mumbo jumbo 'mine is better than yours' infantile mentality only applies when it is someone OTHER than you spouting it?

BTW, Fran, that IS the Roland factory demo sequence being played there, isn't it? I would hate to think anyone would take credit for something they did not do themselves, wink, wink!

Also, that particular sequence (from the G70 launch, over three years ago, probably re-voiced a bit for the E60) predates the Guitar Mode introduction.

Kalimero is right, also... Guitar Mode on the Roland's is either for live playing (and it only supports chording, not playing of solo lines like SA voices) or recording into a sequencer. You can then use it to make styles, but you lose the lookup tables that are optimized for guitar (which is what Guitar Mode is essentially about), and they revert to the standard tables, essentially ruining the pattern for anything other than the basic chords Maj, Min and Dom7th. Not to mention the inversion changes as you play in different areas of the NTA section.

Roland need to finish the concept (preferably with an OS update rather than a new model!) and integrate it with the style section. None of us REALLY want to devote two hands to making an acoustic or electric guitar pattern... We want to play OVER one, especially one that plays accurate guitar voicings and strum patterns. Korg got it right, Roland need to catch up...

And sorry, Fran. As much as it pains me (not really!), I've got to agree with Ian re. the Yamaha SA and Mega guitar style patterns and sounds. It is the one area of the Yamaha's I am extremely jealous about, and would LOVE to see integrated into my G70. The rest, pretty much, they can keep, but those guitars are a HUGE step better in realism. That's not to say that the Roland's are duffers, far from it, but Yamaha has an edge, especially electric guitars.

Me, I'm ultra picky (surprise!) when it comes to guitar sounds (I play with one almost all the time)... If I didn't have a real guitarist, Yamaha would be MUCH more likely to get my arranger dollar.

Finally, does the arranger make the player, or the player make the arranger? Both... IMO.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online