SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#224151 - 01/12/08 10:57 AM My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My first comparison between the G70 and E-60..

First let me explain..I was cancelled last night and did not perform with the E-60...I will use it tonight...

My first comparison statement,,,"the G70 is superior in every way"...but surprisingly not by much in many categories..

In fact the E-60 has a couple edges over the G70...namely speakers for at home monitoring and very small venues..and two headphone jacks...never know when you need to share a headphone..

The E-60 key feel is better than any other board I have played that list under $3,900..except the G70..that includes the PA800 and SD1plus..The Yamaha's are also a lesser feel..to me..The keys are full size and proper throw..

The E-60 lacks the aftertouch the G70 gives me...for some that is not a big deal...personally I like aftertouch..it can be a useful controller..

The G70 pianos are better, but the E-60 pianos are no slouches..some are very good...one thing I have noticed the E-60 pianos have a heavier thump on the last octave..similar to the DisCover 5 acoustic pianos..
There are several new styles on the E-60, and some are really great...The E-60 reads all the styles from my G70 card including the styles missing that I like on the G70..

Other areas the G70 towers over the E-60 ..Mic input and harmonizer[this we already knew]..but I miss the audio inputs to control laptops and other audio signals via G70 control..Also the insert effects are missing some effects that this feature uses and are not needed on the E-60

When I first listened to demos last year , I was convinced that the sounds were less quality in the E series..When I listened to Roland's style demos[same styles were better quality on the G70 demos]..In the real comparison..not so much..I still think there is an edge with the G70 quality but not as far apart as the demos showed..

I listened to common styles with both instruments thru identical sound systems and headphones...This E-60 lacks nothing..they are so close..only a side by side comparison can give a hint with only a few sounds...

The G70 uses the VK organ in it's one touch settings , of an otherwise same setting as the E-60..Same with the piano[the grand X] to the E-60 [natural piano]..

A few other things I do miss with the E-60 that are available on the G70...The extra upper 3 part and the extra lower 2 part...The 3rd split naturally is also missing.

I also miss the dedicate Keyboard mode split button..There is a work-a-round using the arranger button and turning off the accomp..

The lay outs are almost identical[menu window] and easily similar enough to navigate without boo boos while performing..

I will post again after I use the E-60 on the gig, but I am pretty sure there will be no big surprises..this board was an excellent choice as my second/back up board..

Adi mentioned on another post that I will find myself using the E-60 more and more...He is most likely correct..

The G70 is still my all time favorite board...and I will always use it for my solo work where I need a vocalizer and the audio input...and the VK organ mode that I am use to..same with the piano..and key feel..There is no substitute..but I am not replacing the G70...
and with that this E-60 is a keeper..

Cass, you will have to look for your own deal...

Diki, I have to believe you haven't tried the E-60 yet..sure it is not the G70 [twice the price]...but if you looked at it with an open mind...you would shake your head and say "cool"..

BTW: the E-60 comes in at 28 pounds..the G70 is 46 pounds..that is 18 pounds lighter [for those that this would make a difference]...In fact it is lighter than the PA800[61 keys] and the Tyros 2[61 keys]..

That is close to 40 percent lighter than the G70...Makes it sound a lot lighter than some folks made it out to be..

More to come..

PS: Cass , just in case..make me a standing offer...

#224152 - 01/12/08 11:31 AM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran, things sound encouraging. Maybe I'll have the 3K sold by time you come around to saying, "I like the E-60, but I just have to have my G70." In that case, you have my address.

#224153 - 01/12/08 11:37 AM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cassp,

I do hope you get to actually play an E-60 before you buy.

Ian

#224154 - 01/12/08 11:39 AM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Fran Carango Offline

I wanted to mention the quality of the E-60 build..It is a very well constructed keyboard..lots of plastic to keep it lighter..but it has metal reinforcement under the keybed, and other locations. The build design is better than others at twice the price..

I also just A, B'd identical SMF's thru the same sound system..trying a couple that I used makeup tools to edit the sequence..There seems to be a different tone between the G70 and E-60 with the same named drum kit..Standard 1 as an example..not bad , but definitely different..The edge goes to the G70..

Individual part EQ is not available on the E-60, but was not a factor in this comparison..

I will give a follow up after the weekend..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-12-2008).]

#224155 - 01/12/08 12:03 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Cassp,

I do hope you get to actually play an E-60 before you buy.

Ian

Let me know when you find one. Maybe you can drop it off; I'm at exit 37 off I-75 south of Detroit.

#224156 - 01/12/08 12:03 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Cass , I agree with Ian...It would be best for you to try an E-60 first..ideally while you still own the PSR 3000..a side by side would do the trick for you..

#224157 - 01/12/08 12:24 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Cass, seriously, I think I know what works for you [as well as you do ]..You want a light keyboard [28 pounds], with extended key range[76]..that also feels good with proper size.

Decent pianos and organs...

So far it sounds like your V-combo.

Great SMF playback and edits that you miss from the G70...and a easy OS..

Very usable styles with a sound that sounds like a band...yet turn off the auto stuff and you got sounds that will cut through with the band..

I don't think I ever steered you wrong...yet

Don't worry about trying the board if the above meets your requirements...call George now....BTW: you see how hard it is to find an E60?

I am pretty sure the resale value would be terrific..

#224158 - 01/12/08 05:06 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I like yamaha the best...

Just kidding.. Very nice review.. GC does not have any arrangers so I'd have to take a trip to even see any of these..

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 01-12-2008).]

#224159 - 01/12/08 05:14 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Fran, very thorough review. Lots of bang for the buck for sure. Good luck with the e60.

#224160 - 01/12/08 09:14 PM Re: My first comparison between the E-60 and the G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks for the review, Fran. Pretty much what I expected.

In fact, I have NEVER said the E60 to be an inferior arranger, except when compared to a G70..! You are right, I've never heard one in person, although I've listened to everything done on one that is on the web (pretty much!). I think it's a great arranger, pound for pound, sound for sound, bang for the buck, build quality...

The only thing I've been saying is, for someone that already owns a G70, it's weight difference and speakers doesn't balance what they would lose by using it on some of their gigs, at least, FOR ME. For anyone that wants a 76, if you can't afford or can't carry a G70 or PA2Xpro, it seems almost a no-brainer, with virtually no competition at that price point. But if you already have one...

But that's pretty much just me. I don't like multiple rigs. I like to get so familiar with just one piece of kit I don't have to think about it for an instant, I can just do it! Back to the music, for me. Hard won familiarity with a great keyboard is a fragile gift to give away (remember, once you get used to the E60, you'll have to double-clutch when you are back on the G70), at least for me... Others' mileage may vary.

I just don't like getting keyboards for fun (at least, to gig on). Once I've made my mind up that a keyboard is BETTER than what I have (at least significantly!), that's all I want to play until there's something a LOT better. I don't want to play my old G1000 (except for the Chord Sequencer) now I have a G70. And I don't want to move from the G70 until something REALLY significant comes out. So far, nothing....

But anyhoo... Don't listen to me... everybody go out and buy an E60, ASAP...! It really IS a great arranger at it's price point and form factor. A 76 is a wonderful thing if you like to play piano style for a change (got to be a FEW of you that can play piano out there)...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online