SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2237 - 08/08/07 01:24 PM Korg TR61
Mav Offline

Hi..I need to replace my keyboard , used only for recording. Not sure if I should buy something used or a new Korg tr61 I could get for under $900 brand new...plus a $100 rebate Korg has. Anyone have this... I have read all good revies on it.

What about Yamaha Mini mo?

Thanks, Mav

#2238 - 08/13/07 07:47 AM Re: Korg TR61
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Take the Korg over the Mini Mo. Trust me on this one. The Korg is a powerhouse compared to the Mini-Mo.

The MM6 doesn't do squat for recording (internally), just an 8 track sketch pad with NO editing. There are no user slots for custom voices. You have to save everything to a performance spot--which takes a snapshot of the entire keyboard layout and saves EVERYTHING into one setting.

The MM6 does not have a pattern sequencer, nor will it loop record. The MM6 is just an arranger keyboard with some Motif based sounds. Even with the included software the synth is still limited as the 32 note poly will show its limitations in no time.

I just don't think the MM6 shouldn't even be considered a contender with entry level workstations such as the TR61. Yamaha IMO really is misleading buyers into thinking the MM6 is a workstation and it's not. They just took a PSR keyboard, added some Motif sounds, along with some PSR sounds too, dropped the speakers, added the DJX knobs, and went from there. It's very cheap in construction too.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#2239 - 09/13/07 09:00 PM Re: Korg TR61
casiobot Offline

Squeak is correct-MM6 is just an overpriced Casio.
I'd look at something like the MO6(also Yamaha)Same wave ROM as the Motif ES w/o the sampler.Only (possible) drawback is the MO is 64 poly but then again,so's the TR,right?

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online