SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223634 - 12/31/07 01:07 PM calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hello,

I'm a Technics KN7000 player, looking into possibly getting a Yamaha S900 or Tyros - love the sounds and styles on the Yamaha.

My question is this - the way I work (play music) is to set up lots of registrations for songs - about 600-800 of them. On the Technics, I load a group of 104 registrations from storage in a couple of seconds, then I can pick and choose from the 104 very quickly.

From my limited time trying a Tyros, it seems there are more steps (button presses) to load registrations, and then I only get 8 at a time.

Are there some "tricks" that might help? I wish the keyboards had a "numberic keypad" so I could type in "3, 7, 1, enter" to get registration number 371, quickly.

Any hints/tips on getting FAST access to my own registrations on a Tyros or S900?

Thanks!
Jim

#223635 - 12/31/07 03:00 PM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Much of this will depend upon just how you set up your registrations. You can set up each bank of 8 as a single song, or set up eight song registrations on a bank.

The advantage of setting up a bank of 8 registrations as a single song is that all will instantly load in alphabetcal order.

If you load a single song in each registration, or 8 songs in a bank, then only that bank is viewable.

Either method is very fast, the banks load in a fraction of a second, and access involves either two or three button pushes, depending upon which storage method you decide on.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#223636 - 12/31/07 03:13 PM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
Dnj Offline

If navigation is a primary factor for your song selection...then take a serious look at the Korg Pa800...with its "SONGBOOK", Favorites perf bank, Numeric Keypad search...I have not found anything better for setting up & looking for songs in real-time.

#223637 - 12/31/07 07:35 PM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Jim,
On the Yamaha's you can use the music data base to do the same thing! You can have hundreds of song registrations and find them alphabetically, sort by tempo, type, etc.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#223638 - 12/31/07 08:02 PM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Jim, Take some time to learn the different ways to store your set ups for songs.
1-Music finder – A fantastic tool.
2-Registration Memory – Better than my Kn7000, many more options.
3-OTS gives you more instrument changes with the style variations.

Once you have understood the S900 layout you will be more than pleased. I do miss some of the sounds that are in the KN7 but S900 offers so much more. The rhythms and feel are younger – You are limited to 20 Composer Rhythms, on the S900 there is no limit. The sequencer on the KN7 is much better.

John C.

#223639 - 12/31/07 10:29 PM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Jim,
On the Yamaha's you can use the music data base to do the same thing! You can have hundreds of song registrations and find them alphabetically, sort by tempo, type, etc.

agreed, BUT the Yamahas MFD will NOT save Transpose, SMF & Mp3.

#223640 - 01/01/08 01:01 AM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think you'll find this about the fastest way to go from one song to the next, on the fly. Much faster than the music finder, although the music finder does have some nice options like automatically picking which intro and the first variation that you set, but it is a bit slow moving from one song to the next.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Resources/Articles/organize.html

Hope this helps.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com/Lessons

#223641 - 01/01/08 02:38 AM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi jim ,The Yamaha's are the latest technology and can do many wonderful things that other people have already stated. I'm in agreement with what has been said !!

What has not been said is that if you are thinking of playing some of your favourite styles from the Kn7000 (and in many cases the Technics styles sound better you will not be able to successfully convert them over to Yamaha ).....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!

Best regards ...and enjoy what ever instrument you decide to play

Giovanni

smac 1200, Kn7000 , Tyros T2

#223642 - 01/01/08 07:16 AM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks for all the replies, comments and advice! Yes, I do have some learning to do. I have played with Music Finder - and it is nice, and I'd likely use it, perhaps for songs I play less often but want to have some sort of setting. The drawback for me is that unlike a Registration, I can't set my own sounds in an MFD record. I tend to like to do alot with my left hand, and the built-in OTS sounds selected often have a very "meek" sound like light strings or human voice in the left hand, where I want a piano, e-piano, guitar, etc. since I do alot of playing with my left hand (I use "Fingered" mode, then play one or two note-at-a-time runs etc. so the chord doesn't change).

I love my KN-7000, but when playing an S900 in a store, and my friend's Tyros II, I think it overall has better feel and "mix" of sound in the styles, and some of the newer "Articulation" sounds are amazing! KN has some great sounds, but I think Yamaha has surpassed Technics overall; I was so sad when Technics announced they'd no longer develop any more keyboards! -

I'll do some experimenting and learning on a friend's Tyros II to see how it works. Registrations sound like my primary way to go - not sure how fast/slow it'll be to find a song when I have close to 1,000 songs total . . .

Thanks again for all the comments!
Jim

#223643 - 01/01/08 08:15 AM Re: calling up registrations on S900 and Tyros II
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

There are lots of options for changing all the components of a style, then saving the information so it can be accessed either by the MFD or a registration.

Donny is right that you cannot save a transpose via the MFD, but in the time it takes to select the MFD you can transpose the selection. It's just a couple button pushes on a dedicated button.

If sincerely believe that once you increase your working knowledge of the keyboard's operating system you'll find it's among the most advanced arrangers on the market today. Both the S900 and Tyros2 have more features than anyone can possibly imagine.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online