SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#223499 - 01/02/08 11:06 AM Re: New Laptop - Vista or XP?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Jeff
You are aware that there is significantly less music software available for the Mac, and what is available is usually more expensive.
Upgrading to new technologies also cost an arm and a leg on a Mac, but is relatively cheap on a PC.
If you use the Windows available on the Mac to run your programs, then you will be paying about 3 times the price of a PC for the same performance.
If you really hate Microsoft, why not try Linux (Windows emulation is also available) as it costs a fraction of the price of a Mac, and does pretty much the same.
If however you want something that looks the part, then a Mac is probably the better bet. (Personally I buy a computer to use and not to look at)
Another option

Bill

#223500 - 01/02/08 09:38 PM Re: New Laptop - Vista or XP?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Mike,

Just a correction to your post. Microsoft does not write nor provide drivers for hardware nor are the responsible for doing so. The hardware manufacturers are responsible for this.

It isn't a Microsoft problem.

I realize that Al. Microsoft though does work in collaboration with the hardware manufacturers in the provision of their drivers. When you buy an operating system Microsoft has already included thousands of drivers to work with various hardware peripherals and thus making it necessary to meet certain system hardware requirements on the computer system to hopefully get everything up and running in short order upon install of the OS. As far as Service Packs go I am assuming Microsoft could provide additional collaborative drivers in their Service Packs but I'm not sure this is a normal procedure for them. Possibly not, but it would be nice if they did. On the other hand if some manufacturers choose not to collaborate with Microsoft in providing drivers for older hardware (with the inclusion of the Service Pack if indeed Microsoft chooses to do it that way) then of course that would leave Microsoft's hands tied and the end user constrained to upgrade his or her hardware. If the manufacturer itself chooses not to provide a stand alone driver then the person is stuck in the same situation of having to upgrade, just like you had to do regarding your canon printers. Either way, there is collaboration to get the driver(s) to work under a certain operating system environment e.g. Vista, etc. The manufacturer still has to collaborate with Microsoft regarding Vista's source code to be able to get the manufacturers software driver to work under Vista or some other OS. But yes, it is the hardware manufacturer who provides the driver(s). But again, there is collaboration with Microsoft to get the driver to work under any given OS environment, whether or not the driver from the manufacturer is included in an OS or Service Pack or stand alone.

Manufacturers a lot of times don't want to put in the R&D to make drivers for older hardware and for apparent reasons. It's about money pure and simple. Or to better put it: "greed" in my opinion. They want us to keep fueling their business profits so they withhold drivers making it necessary for us to upgrade, and all the while hoping you will purchase their brand again in the process. Or maybe I should do this..

Some manufacturers are better at providing drivers for older hardware so it helps to choose manufacturers appropriately based on those considerations.

Best,
Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online