SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#223286 - 12/23/07 03:19 PM Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England
Hi guys, after being a long time synth user i've decided I just want to have fun and play music. At the moment i've got a Triton Extreme 76, which has a very similar (maybe the same)keybed as the Tyros 2/PSR9000. I'm very torn between the Tyros 2 and the Korg PA800 however. I am leaning more towards the Korg I think, but I have one problem. I've tried the T2 out and as I say the key feel is very similar to the TE which I like, but nowhere near to me stock the PA800's. I also tried a PA1X and a G70 last year and both had fantastic key feel.
If PA800 has the same cheap Fatar rubbish that they use in the lower end arrangers and synths I would not be interrested at all. Over the years i've found that Korgs have very poor quality keys and buttons, especially on lower end boards.
Please put me out of my misery and tell me exactly what the PA800's are like in terms of keybed/button quality.
Many thanks in advance

#223287 - 12/23/07 04:38 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Dnj Offline

Honestly.....its All a matter of personal opinion...
I love the PA800 keyfeel on mine, I like a lighter touch....you'll probably hate it judging by your post......this is something you have to decide for yourself by playing them..not by listening to others.

Good luck keep us posted on what you decide on.

#223288 - 12/23/07 04:46 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
This may not help, and I'm not trying to be churlish, but even if you're "just having fun" with music, I don't know why you'd go FROM a 76 note keybed TO a 61.

I personally think you'll have trouble finding a decent 61 note keybed with your required feel.

Stick with a board that offers 76 notes and you'll find your choice a lot easier.

(only My Humble O. & My Two Cents)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#223289 - 12/23/07 04:58 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yoshi, I recently went from a Tyros2 to a G70 back to a Tyros2 and now the Pa800. The PA800 has a very light touch. I don't care for a light touch, but the PA800 has enough great features for me to overlook the light touch. As DNJ said you gotta really play one yourself and make a decision.

#223290 - 12/23/07 05:08 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Thanks very much for all of your replies
I found your reply especially helpful Stephen, I think I probably wouldn't like the feel of the keys judging from what you have said. The reason I wanted to go for the PA800
hellboy was that I like the idea of an all-in-one keyboard, with it's own speakers. The triton could sit up it's corner for serious sequencing, and the PA to move around and play. I reckon i'll have to go and have a good think about things now, and start saving more pennies lol.
Possibly a PA2X if I can find one for the right money in the UK...
Thanks again guys, much appreciated

#223291 - 12/24/07 12:46 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
YOshi,

of all the arranger I have played and owned, the Roland G-70 and the Korg PA2X Pro have to me the best key feel. The difference is that the Korg as a heavier action (almost piano-like) so, if you plan to play a lot of organ sounds, the keys could hurt your fingers if you do a lot of smears.
Speaking of synth-like action, the Tyros 2 has an excellent keyfeel.
I have never played a PA-800, so cannot comment on this.

#223292 - 12/24/07 02:14 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

I agree with you 100% there Dreamer. I have tried both G70 and PA1X myself and have to say the key feel is absolutely fantastic on both (PA2X is same as 1X I imagine). I think the keybed in either of those is a great compromise also between keyboard and piano. I think as it stands a PA2X is probably the one for me. Thanks for your reply

#223293 - 12/24/07 09:02 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you like the Tyros 2 sounds and features, and also want good speakers, you might consider the Yamaha PSR S900. It only has 61 notes, and the lighter key feel though.
Seems there is always compromises to be made.
DonM

#223294 - 12/24/07 11:02 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Actually DonM i've had a bit of a rethink and slept on it. I think as long as the PA800 is well made and the keys are made to last I will still get one. If I bought a PA2X I would have to get rid of the TE76, because there would no longer be room for it. If I got the PA800 however I could keep both as it's portable and has it's own speakers.
Can anyone comment on the actual build quality of the PA800, are the buttons quite good and the keys feel like they will last (not loose or very cheap)?
Sorry to be a nuisance I just want to be sure , thanks again

#223295 - 12/24/07 12:29 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Dnj Offline

find a store 30-45 day return warranty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online