SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#223185 - 01/13/08 08:17 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Mike,
I'm not really familiar with the Sonic Cell,
but I gather it has buttons you can actually push to change voices, banks etc ??
(wheras the sd2 has nothing) or did you get your Tyros to do it all including any specific sounds & banks??

Hi Rikki,

Yes, you can change banks within the Sonic Cell itself. The default bank that comes up on the Sonic Cell when changing banks on the Tyros (whether Panel voice banks or GM/GM2 voice banks) is the GM/2 bank. From there you can change banks on the Sonic Cell to either the Preset, User, and/or SRX banks if desired.

It is great that people can find new ways to make their current arranger keyboard even more appealing and boosting its sonic palette and capability in the process. In my case, I guess it gives me another good reason to stave off buying a new totl arranger anytime soon. But if I find a 76 key totl arranger, whether Korg, Yamaha - oops! skip Yamaha apparently , Roland, etc. that can demonstrate to me a justifiable reason to upgrade (besides just the 76 keys ) then I would probably do it. The big question is "IF"..?!?!?

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-13-2008).]

#223186 - 01/13/08 04:42 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mike,
thanks, I was hoping that maybe I'd missed something as far as changing banks using psr as a controller. Just confirms that the sd2 isn't the most suitable module for use with the psr. Really requires a module with buttons where one can change the banks & mute tracks manually.

Fortunately with the korg it works well.

Have to try a korg / psr setup next. Mind boggling.

Probably not worth switching keyboards if you're happy with what you've got & there's not a more ideal one around at the moment.

Have you tried the Sonic Cell for User style parts??
That was my original idea for the SD2. Having a module that could play back converted sd1 to psr styles. Sounds would have been similar, & I would have had the Ketron Live drums playing back almost correctly with just a bit of tweaking required.

Been thinking if maybe a Roland module
(as soundsource)would playback a Roland converted style better than using the internal sounds of whatever keyboard (be it a PSr or a korg etc) that the style's been converted to?

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B] Hi Rikki,

Yes, you can change banks within the Sonic Cell itself. The default bank that comes up on the Sonic Cell when changing banks on the Tyros (whether Panel voice banks or GM/GM2 voice banks) is the GM/2 bank. From there you can change banks on the Sonic Cell to either the Preset, User, and/or SRX banks if desired.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223187 - 01/13/08 05:32 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
This thread just emphasizes that, despite the industry's apparent misapprehension that arranger players don't need extensive MIDI control of external gear, nothing could be further from the truth...

Samplers, B3 modules, dedicated analog synths, laptops, ALL of these are being used on a daily basis by us poor, dumb arranger players who apparently know nothing about this MIDI doohicky! Someone needs to let them know that they are short-changing us SERIOUSLY compared to our WS brethren when it comes to making our arrangers the center of a whole system.

At the very least, any arranger (at least mid-line and up) should be able to direct ANY Part, Keyboard Style or SMF to either Internal or External MIDI, and allow ANY kind of MSB, LSB PC# codes, even if the Internals don't need it. You shouldn't have to restrict your choice of externals by whether you can MANUALLY call up the sounds or not... Sheesh! How 20th century!!

#223188 - 01/14/08 04:22 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
couldn't agree more. If they had this function ( plus good style creation/editing functions) less need to upgrade as often. Add a new sound module instead to give the arranger a better variety or quality sound.

The fact that you can push buttons manually on most sound modules is handy, but I would imagine could be awkward in a live situation?

Luv the way you can actually set the PA800's single touch setting to call up the correct sounds be they, internal or external. The module and keyboard act like one.

My PSR or Ketron doesn't do what the Korg does.

Do the Rolands?
For some reason in the back of my mind I thought that maybe my old G800 had the option of internal or external sounds, but I can't remember if it could send any type of msb, lsb, pc codes.
The bank changes are so important nowadays.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

At the very least, any arranger (at least mid-line and up) should be able to direct ANY Part, Keyboard Style or SMF to either Internal or External MIDI, and allow ANY kind of MSB, LSB PC# codes, even if the Internals don't need it. You shouldn't have to restrict your choice of externals by whether you can MANUALLY call up the sounds or not... Sheesh! How 20th century!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223189 - 01/14/08 07:30 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

G70 can send any Part (keyboard, Style or SMF) out to MIDI, but it has one serious flaw... From the registration it can only send CC0/32/PC# to the Style or SMF Parts. There is no way to program the Keyboard Parts to send any CC00/32/PC# directly from the Tone selection buttons.

There IS a workaround, where you program a sequence to send out the codes for you, but it lacks the immediacy of being able to call up an external sound from the front panel. MAYBE Roland will address this (pun intended!), but just lately I have the impression that the arranger R&D guys are asleep at the wheel when it comes to using their arrangers with ANY other gear, whether modules or even a computer sequencer.

The old G1000 was 200% better at talking to a computer sequencer, although no better at addressing external gear from the front panel...

But at least it CAN be done on the G70/E80/60/50, if only by preparing things in advance...

#223190 - 01/14/08 07:36 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
YEARS ago, the Yamaha PSR6100 could send any and every part out via midi. I don't know when they stopped doing this.
DonM

#223191 - 01/14/08 08:03 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Maybe Rikki hit the nail on the head... If the manufacturers make it easy to address external gear, we won't be in as much of a rush when it comes to upgrading to another arranger, and simply use modules to obtain more cutting edge sounds, if not OS features.

Hold on... I'm starting to sound like Donny

Maybe it's just that not enough of us complain about this issue to our dealers and reps, and moan enough about it here..! They sure added mp3 playback in a hurry after we all started asking for it...

Maybe it is in OUR hands...

#223192 - 01/15/08 12:39 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki
not sure if the PA800 can either, though I must admit I haven't checked into it.
I've still got a lot to learn.

I was just happy that I was able to call up the external sounds for melody parts for a style as a sts's (single touch setting) which may be the equivalent of Rolands registrations??
and is the equivalent of the PSR's OTS function.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B] There is no way to program the Keyboard Parts to send any CC00/32/PC# directly from the Tone selection buttons.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223193 - 01/15/08 12:55 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Don,
PSR's still do send out the parts via midi.
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way of programming in your own bank & program changes for the melody parts when playing styles.
I actually managed to convert a couple of the sd1 styles across to psr format ( had to do via midi to style method to keep the sd1 Live drums intact)
ie the psr played the style data , the sd2 supplied all the style track sounds including the Live Drum sounds.
Only reason it worked was because I was able to put the correct bank & program changes into the style tracks.

For the melody tracks I was pretty much stuck with just using the default gm bank.
I couldn't access the higher banks.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
YEARS ago, the Yamaha PSR6100 could send any and every part out via midi. I don't know when they stopped doing this.
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223194 - 01/15/08 07:48 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Rikki, I thought I remember that ability. It's not of that much interest to me anyway. Just thought it might be something that was being overlooked.
DonM

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online