SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#223083 - 12/21/07 06:45 AM Re: PA2xPro going back
ptram Offline

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the time spent to talk about our Pa2X. I jump in just to clarify some points.

1. The keyboard is the same as the one used in Pa1X, with the usual refinements of time passing. You shouldn't find so many differences when trying them one aside the other.

2. In practice, the only differences of the TC Helicon Voice Processor in Pa2X, compared to to Pa1X, is that it has one harmonizing voice less, and the optional pitch correction/voice modeling module is missing. As a consequence, presets containing voice modeling settings have been removed, therefore reducing the total number of presets. In exchange, you get some more modern effects, like an unheard lush reverb.

3. In Pa1X, you could record MP3 files up to 192kbps, while in Pa2X you can reach 256kbps. A rate of 320kbps has never been made possible with any Pa-Series MP3 recorder. In any case, the new recorder has an audibly higher quality (not counting the added playback features).

4. WAV files are still read as in the past. Did you find problems with specific files? We'd be happy to know and fix any eventual compatibility issue. Please remember that you must use the Sampling > Load Sample command, not the Import command.

5. If you like, may you please elaborate on your statement about "the lyrics capability being stuck in the ASCII text days"? Unless we switch to Unicode, there is no alternative to ASCII nowadays. Do you suggest some tricks or alternative system to be implemented?

6. It is true that we didn't add new overdrive and distortion guitars. At the same time, please consider we added several REMS guitar effects (a selection from our AmpWorks Series), that can be used to create this type of sounds, starting from the clean electric guitars, with a better control than on sampled wet sounds.

8. Digital artifacts depend on the MP3 file itself. The (double) player can only read what is recorded in the file.

10. It is true that markers cannot be added to MP3 files, but it seems this cannot be done with current technologies. Am I wrong, or no other manufacturer can do it?

Thank you again for your time.

Best regards,
Paolo Tramannoni
Korg Italy

#223084 - 12/21/07 11:25 AM Re: PA2xPro going back
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Paolo,
Thanks for your reply.

I was SURE the PA1 could write 320kp mp3's, but my memory may have been a bit hazy on that one so if that was incorrect my apologies.

Yes there are several vocal presets missing and I think you make too light of what has been removed.You also make no mention of the vocal effects types that have also been cut and the fact there is no low-cut filter anymore. As you said on the Korg forum these were done to keep costs down on the new model.

The Wav files I am talking about are not samples but song wav files which could be read from a CD drive.
I would have thought the capacity to at least play them would have been retained even though the CD drive was removed.

As for lyrics yes there are several things you could do, for example you could use the RTF format which is a bit more difficult to implement than ASCII text but would give greater flexibility, imo.

At least then the spacing could be retained.

At the moment if you want chord symbols above a line of text, which because of the screen size is the only practical system, all chord symbols get squashed to the left upon loading onto the screen.
This has been an issue since the OS1.0 on the PA1x, and there have been no attempts by Korg to even try to address the issue, well at least none that are public.

The reverb is okay, I wouldn't describe it as "LUSH" it is adequate.

The digital artefacts upon loading of an MP3 file was tried using MP3 files created on different devices, including the PA2x itself and at varying bit rates. There is an appreciable noise(audible in speakers) when the MP3 file is loading, although I will clarify that it is not present once the file has loaded.

Yes you have added the REMS but you STILL cannot access a created sound utilising these insert effects via midi, whether the midi is played from an external player or on the PA2. Without setting up a convoluted method of accessing that sound which I found and posted on the Korg forums when I owned the PA1x. It was the same effects structure on the PA1x and was a weak link then and still is now in my view.
Given that the overdrive/distortion guitars are, well, "ordinary" , having the ability to create your own "killer" guitar patch with insert effects, and then being able to use it from a song file, rather than just playing it live from an upper or lower part would have been a great asset.

I dont know about others but I am a piano player, not a guitarist, so I set up guitar tracks on my sequencer as guitar tracks with as realistic chord structures and neck positions etc etc, as I can.

Similar to how the guitar mode works.

BUT you cannot marry those set-up midi guitar tracks with the created guitar patch,because the insert effects are not available via this method...Now, I know you have reasons for this,as this has been discussed at the Korg forums, several times over the past few years, but Korg have ignored all of this and just gone for exactly the same hard-wired effects structure (insert) as on the original PA1x.

Unless I have mis-read data, markers can be used to jump to locations within an MP3 file, and as such can be created on other keyboards.
But I will check this, as I could be mistaken.

There is still no way to use markers on text files to scroll with songs on the PA2, now this IS something that can be done, and is a tool I have asked for.

Korg make no other footswitch pedal than the EC-5 and with only 5 switches I would rather use these for other things than scrolling a text page.
And in a lot of cases using a button is impractical for scrolling a page because of obvious reasons.
It is another simple thing to implement I think. (Roland even have the function on the base model e-50).

Keybeds are a personal thing, and I reckon the touch is lighter than the original PA1x. Although I will agree this a a very subjective area, as is a persons "take" on how a particular keyboard sounds.

Paolo there is no doubt the PA2x is an improvement over the PA1x, and is a fine instrument.

If a person was buying one without having had a PA1 first they would be very happy with it, I probably would have been!

There are many things that are really good, but in my view the improvements minus the losses, do not go far enough to justify the very high price tag of this new board which I have to repeat SEEMS more like a transitional board rather than anything completely ground-breaking.
I am sorry if my view does not agree with yours, but thats the way it is.

Great keyboard, just not for me.

Best regards
Dennis

#223085 - 12/21/07 08:58 PM Re: PA2xPro going back
zuki Offline

Nice to hear from Korg Italy Paolo's response was in good taste and very informative. Responses like this make me want to check out Korg products. Thanks Paolo.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#223086 - 12/21/07 09:13 PM Re: PA2xPro going back
Dnj Offline

Zuki dont tell me you dont like the S900 now?

#223087 - 12/22/07 04:41 AM Re: PA2xPro going back
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Zuki dont tell me you dont like the S900 now?

I understand the question, just not who's asking it.

chas

#223088 - 12/22/07 06:29 AM Re: PA2xPro going back
zuki Offline

Donny,

No, I absolutely love my S900. I was just impressed that Korg woould reply to a member post, that's all.

Like another thread, the longer I keep my board, the more I enjoy and understand it.

Today, it's about time management. I need to keep it simple. Running my own business, playing 300+ gigs and finding time to work on new material will be a real challenge in 2008. This is the busiest I've been in my entire life!

That said, I still wonder where I'd be if that 800 deal would have come through.

Happy Holidays

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#223089 - 12/22/07 06:57 AM Re: PA2xPro going back
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

That said, I still wonder where I'd be if that 800 deal would have come through.

Happy Holidays

I'd say you'd have 400 gigs glad your busy & happy with your choice.....go for it the time is now! & & with the easy recording capability on the S9900 if you get a chance email me some songs, I'd love to hear your work.

Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online