SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223000 - 12/19/07 08:29 AM Does anyone here use GPS?
Beakybird Offline

What is the best portable GPS to get me to my gigs? I'm looking for one that has real time traffic - you know, to get around traffic jams.

Beakybird

#223001 - 12/19/07 08:37 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Dnj Offline

I have the 4040.........
http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=408

LOVE IT....LOVE IT...... LOVE IT!!!

#223002 - 12/19/07 08:42 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use mine too...Verizon Wireless Navigator..

#223003 - 12/19/07 08:54 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Dnj Offline

#223004 - 12/19/07 09:31 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Fran Carango Offline

You can't get loss....no matter how hard you try....

It always corrects you with updated routes..

No excuse for not making a gig..

#223005 - 12/19/07 10:47 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I have used GPS Navigation for 4 years now. And have recently purchased a new system by Navigon. They are the only manufacturers that I know of that incorporate "Reality View". When coming up on interchanges on a highway or freeway, it will change the screen to look like what you see out the windshield. ie. Large green highway signs, all the lanes off traffic, which lane you should be in... it is very clear and helpful when you are approaching any interchange. I have found it quite helpful.

Anyway Navigon has 3 different models you can choose from. All of them have real time traffic control available (the entry level model offers it as an option you buy additionally)
www.Navigon.com will show you what I'm talking about.
www.tigerdirect.com offers a multitude of GPS options for you to consider.

PS. keep in mind, not all GPS units will actually speak the street names.

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#223006 - 12/19/07 03:06 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My Garmin Nuvi 350 has saved my butt many times coming and going to gigs. Especially late at night/early in the morning.

I could not do without it now. I paid $295 for mine at Walmart; the lowest I have seen it anywhere.

Al

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#223007 - 12/19/07 08:05 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Beakybird Offline

I am deciding between the Garmin Nuvi 660, Garmin Streetpilot C550, Navigon 5100, and Magellan 4050. I'm going to purchase one in a few days. The Garmins seem to get the best user reviews. The Navigon 5100 can be purchased for $200 and has free traffic for life - but I see a lot of bad user reviews.

I'm tired of getting lost and missing my turn.

Beakybird

#223008 - 12/19/07 08:50 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Lowrance manufactures good GPS equipment in several categories. I have been using their "iWay 350C" for a couple of years and it has saved me a LOT of time. It is not as commonly available in retail stores as Tom Tom, Magellan, Garmin and the like...but their two automotive models are rated as good or better than most of the common brands in each of the price ranges available. I see where the price now is around $250...and well worth it.

Among the many Pros for Lowrance: All US and Canada maps are pre-loaded. No need to purchase updated discs. When updates do occur, they can be downloaded free, from the Lowrance site. Once you register with them, they will email you any notification of updates.

Turn by turn directions using street names, route and interstate numbers are both visible and audible. Size of fonts displaying destination, current street, miles to arrival, estimated time to arrival and other data can be individually adjusted to large, medium or small.

No external antenna needed. Can set audio to play through your radio, wirelessly (real handy on noisy highways).

Very good, long-lasting battery, rechargable from lighter..or just run it from the lighter. Optional AC adapter for home charging is available...otherwise all accessories are included.

Also plays MP3s and will store pictures...although I don't use those features.

Cons are minimal: I have found it may not always route me using the shortest route possible. But, you can program it to accept or avoid toll roads, interstates, left turns and such.

I have to admit, that Navigon unit looks very attractive and, though a little pricier, looks to worth it.

Eddie

#223009 - 12/20/07 07:13 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just before my friend George Gentry died, he bought a new GPS. Don't know the brand. He took it to St. Louis one time. I'm getting rid of a lot of his stuff. I'll look at the brand and let you know. Janice will take $50.00 for the unit, and she says George paid around $400.00 last July. It's been plugged in once.

Just getting rid of all the stuff she can't use. Donating all his music equipment (speakers, mics, amps, stands, etc) to local churches.

I'll let you folks know...

R.

#223010 - 12/21/07 08:44 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I hate to spoil the party but...

"GPS devices are now the number one item being stolen from motor vehicles. Think storing your spanking new GPS in the glove compartment keeps you safe from smash-and-grab thieves? Think again: according to a recent study, GPS theft is on the rise, and crooks have learned that a suction-cup windshield mount usually means a valuable GPS hidden somewhere in the car."

What can you do to keep GPS-loving thieves at bay? Read on.

"With the average price of a GPS falling somewhere between $180 and $1000, it's little surprise that GPS theft is on the rise. Even though many people may hide their GPS devices when they park their car, they usually don’t bother to take down the mount from the windshield or dash. That's good news for thieves, who are increasingly taking notice of GPS devices, given their small size and ease with which they can be re-sold on eBay the black market. These are essentially high-end items that bring in quick cash."

"Even taking the extra step of removing the windshield mount may not be sufficient, as the tell-tale mark of the suction cup on the windshield glass is enough to tip off would-be robbers."

"From San Francisco to Boston, Australia to Britain, police are reporting a rise in theft of GPS devices. In Montgomery County, Maryland, there have been 620 portable navigation devices snatched from cars this year alone. There were only 189 total thefts in 2006 - that's a 328 percent increase in just 12 months. Already this year (as of September) there have been 32 in my town (Roseville, CA) alone, compared to just 16 last year."

Some tips for avoiding your beloved GPS from being snatched:

"Consider using a friction mount instead of the suction-cup windshield mount most GPS devices ship with. Friction mounts rest on the dashboard instead being attached to the glass, and can be easily hidden under the seat when the car is parked. Plus, there's no revealing ring on the windshield to tip off thieves."

If you do use a windshield mount, remove it when parking the car and wipe off the suction cup smudge.

"Write down the serial number of your GPS and register it with the manufacturer. That way, if it ever goes missing you can prove the unit was yours. That said, TomTom North America President Jocelyn Vigreux says that while the company keeps a record of stolen unit’s serial numbers, not a lot of thieves send their freshly stolen units in for repair."

"If your GPS includes a lock/password feature, use it. These simple passwords / PIN combinations are easily cracked within a day or two, but you might as well make things as difficult as possible for the criminals!"

"There's nothing worse than the violation of a break-in and having your personal property stolen. The best thing you can do is keep all signs that you own a GPS out of sight when parking your car."

It's okay to breathe now..

Best,
Mike

#223011 - 12/21/07 08:53 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I use this one in my laptop computer for our travels in the motorhome and it does it all including traffic. http://www.laaudiofile.com/copilot10.html

Bebop

#223012 - 12/21/07 09:19 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
[will take $50.00 for the unit, and she

I take the Unit if you still have it.

Check your Email

Jerry

#223013 - 12/21/07 09:52 AM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use mine too...Verizon Wireless Navigator..

Thanks for the heads up Fran. Since I live in the samllest state in the union and have all my life I know my way around very well and never felt the need to buy a GPS. Your post reminded me that my new Verizon cell has GPS. Had to take a trip to Boston yesterday from a location I would normally never leave from. Great GPS built in, saved my butt for sure.

#223014 - 12/26/07 12:12 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Dnj Offline

#223015 - 12/26/07 05:40 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
Fran Carango Offline

Stephen, I love my Verizon Navigator...apparently my kids didn't believe me...They got me a Garmin Nuvi 260 for Xmas..

#223016 - 12/26/07 06:34 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I got a TomTom One XL for Christmas from my wife (recommended to her by my son). It's great, very visible, good clear instructions, easy to link to the PC for updates. So far so good.

Graham

#223017 - 12/26/07 08:07 PM Re: Does anyone here use GPS?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
My wife got me a Harman/kardon GPS-300 so now i have two. See the post above for the one in the laptop for the motorhome. This one will fit in my shirt pocket and play MP3 and WMA while I am lost.
she also got me an ez go golf cart.
What do you think she is trying to tell me?
I think I know the way back home
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online