SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222632 - 12/09/07 03:11 AM Band in a Box 2008
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Like every year in December, PG Music has released a new version of Band in a Box; I have already downloaded mine and can say that is well worth the price (which, if you upgrade from a previous version, is really a bargain).
Among other things, I loved the new Real Drums (there are now 20 sets of them, and they are great also for creating rhytm loops if you have an arranger like the new Korgs). But there is more than that: for a more authentic "live" feeling, there are now also Real Guitars and even a Real Saxophone.
For more details, click here.

#222633 - 12/09/07 02:29 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dreamer,
how are the new styles??
I'm debating whether to upgrade or not as the real drums are also available as part of powertracks pro audio 12 package.
I've tried some of the styles already thru beta testing, but didn't get a chance to try the pop frets & country styles.
Are they worthwhile??

How are the Terry Clark Jazz Drums??

The Real Drums can also be used for creating loops for our PA's by using PT12 itself ( ie you can bypass BIAB if one doesn't already own it)
Actually I found I have more control by using PT12.
Unfortunately I'm limited by memory on the PA800, but with your PA2x ( when it arrives)you'll have a ball.
I have to pick & choose the loops I want to use a bit more carefully.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreamer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#222634 - 12/09/07 03:18 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Rikki
By what you are saying, I guess you can't use any outboard storage to swap the samples in internal memory ?

I have BIAB and wasn't thinking of upgrading until now, but with the limited RAM, I don't know.

Bernie

#222635 - 12/10/07 12:59 AM Re: Band in a Box 2008
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
I haven't really checked into that, but I would imagine the samples could be swapped around ie save the pcm data to a memory stick & load back in as required with the matching styles , (the loops even work as pads).

or are you actually referring to using BIAB songs ( midifiles) with real drums , in which case no, they'd be too large.
Maybe you could do the BIAB songs with real drums as mp3's. Be interesting to know if the PA800 mp3 function could play back a BIAB mp3? Unfortunately I don't have the mp3 card in my PA800 to try .

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Hi Rikki
By what you are saying, I guess you can't use any outboard storage to swap the samples in internal memory ?

I have BIAB and wasn't thinking of upgrading until now, but with the limited RAM, I don't know.

Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#222636 - 12/10/07 03:57 AM Re: Band in a Box 2008
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Rikki
Interesting thoughts. I'll check it out.
Bernie

#222637 - 12/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
Dreamer Offline

Rikki,
I think that you, like I did, should pay only the upgrade to the Super Pak to have all the 20 Real Drums sets. The price for the upgrade is just 79 USD and you can download all the files from the PG Music website. The shipment to Europe by ordinary mail costs another 10 dollars, but maybe to Australia is more than that.
So, what can I say? The Terry Clark styles really rock and I can see them being the fundament for many PA2 styles... besides if you buy BIAB 2008 you will receive also the Real Tracks package, including real guitars and also a real saxophone; I don't know if that is included in Power Tracks as well.
I will let you know more in the next few days, as I learn more about the program.

#222638 - 12/10/07 04:42 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dreamer,
I suppose I should.
I might get them posted as well as it's such a huge download just in case the 72 hour link isn't enough with my rather poor internet download speed.
I'll check into it.

By the way, when will you finally get your PA2x, they're already shipping in Aust.
Bet you can't wait.

I have something a bit different in mind with the drum loops ( grooves) if it works.
Find loops that are fairly basic like jazz brush swishes for instance & spice them up with additional midi drums on the percussion track to turn them into fills or just alter the rhythm slightly.
A bit more like how it's done on the sd1.
Live Drums on the drum track with additional drums on the percussion track.

I've noticed that even a 1 bar stereo wav loop is nearly 1 mb. If I can use the same loop over & over & make it sound a bit different by adding midi drums I'll be happy.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreamer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#222639 - 12/11/07 03:16 AM Re: Band in a Box 2008
Bernie9 Offline

Rikki
When you and Dreamer get this sorted out, I would like to know any benefits derived from updating from BIAB 2007 with a 2006 megapak.

I could try and record BIAB as MP3 if I knew what to record.

Bernie

#222640 - 12/11/07 02:09 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
basically what Dreamer & I have been discussing is using BIAB2007/08 Real Drum audio loops as an inexpensive alternative
to using commercial drum loops. The $79 supapak upgrade cost me roughly the same as my one and only Jazz Drum cd set a couple of years ago. Wheras with BIAB I've got the equivalent of 20 of these sets.
( though only 10 are brand new)

Our korgs have the ability to load & process these wav drum loops, which can in turn be used in a style or pad to replace the existing midi drums. Really handy for converted styles, who's drums are more often than not less than satisfactory.
The above is really only of use if you intend to edit styles.

The only advantage you could get from upgrading to BIAB 2008 would be if you use mp3's as part of your performance???

I don't know how well BIAB itself in normal song mode would function for live use on stage unless you already use it this way?? but as an mp3 you've got a prerecorded backing performance that you should be able to play back via your korgs mp3 function.

I've been debating buying the mp3 card for my PA800. One reason would be to create backing mp3's from BIAB, SD1 & PSR1500 should I ever decide to sell the keyboards, I've still got backing tracks of some of my favourite songs that I'd created on those keyboards .

I don't actually know how the mp3 function works on the PA800.

Does the PA800 play mp3's recorded on pc's or does it only play mp3's recorded on the PA800 itself??

If it only plays mp3's recorded on itself the recording method would be different.

BIAB can also record songs as mp3's, but not much use if the PA800 can't play them back.

I wouldn't dash out & get the upgrade yet. You can do whatever experimentation with mp3 "songs" on the 2007 version.

I've mainly upgraded to get the new styles & new real drums for style creation sources for my pa800.

You'd actually need to get the supapak to get all the drums, not the megapak.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Rikki
When you and Dreamer get this sorted out, I would like to know any benefits derived from updating from BIAB 2007 with a 2006 megapak.

I could try and record BIAB as MP3 if I knew what to record.

Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#222641 - 12/11/07 02:25 PM Re: Band in a Box 2008
Dreamer Offline

Rikki and others,
follow this link and you will find a demo posted by a guy named Burningbusch (who is the owner of the Purgatory Creek site). In this demo he plays with a Rhodes sound on top of a track laid down with just BIAB 2008.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online