SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#222474 - 12/07/07 11:00 AM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Mike..sorta hijacking the post....

I found myself very disappointed with the Sonic cell...not because of the sounds..they are great..

I grew impatient and purchased retail at Guitar Center..even though I had one ordered at dealer cost[associate dealer]..

The very first big disappointment...the Sonic cell is limited to a total of 99 files..any combination..Wav, Mp3, and SMF...If you needed to use another selection you have to change the thumb drive and reboot..

The other big problem for me....Every time you select another tune..you quickly have to reset the vocal mic settings [reverb]...I could not find any way to save this correctly....Very dumb..

I decided to buy a Juno G instead[traded back the Sonic Cell and bought the JunoG at retail again...wanting to regroup my initial loss on the Sonic Cell]..

The Juno G turned out to be the better unit for me..Only one SRX space compared to 2 on the Sonic Cell....Same Fantom engine with 128 polyphony...Much easier editing capabilities on the Juno G.....4 stereo track audio recording etc...

And the 2 biggies...The Vocal [input and effects settings remain when you select a new song[also 999 limitation on song files]..

Add the 61 key controller that the Juno G allows..makes it head and shoulders better for me..

On the plus side the Sonic Cell audio interface records super clean at 24 bit /96 khz...The Juno G 44.1khz..

Someone needing a great sound source and audio interface...the Sonic Cell is hard to beat...but for song playback the 99 limitation could be a problem..sure 99 is enough to do a predetermined set...but I want to be able to seek more...much more..

The Christmas sequences sound great on the Sonic Cell, I have the same sequences[using them for the last 15 years]..and they sound just as good on the Juno G..

One other side note comment..I found my G70 to be just as great of a sound source[also Fantom engine}..thus really never needed a Sonic Cell or a Juno G..For now I use the super light Juno G with a laptop on my band gigs[13 pound keyboard and a 6 pound laptop..

#222475 - 12/07/07 11:27 AM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

The Christmas sequences sound great on the Sonic Cell, I have the same sequences[using them for the last 15 years]..and they sound just as good on the Juno G..

I didn't know these were commercial SMF..I assumed it was Mike actually playing.

Still, the Sonic Cell sounds very nice.

Ian

#222476 - 12/07/07 12:10 PM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not to chide too much here, but it SHOULD be acknowledged whether something like that you post (anyone, that is) is your own work or someone else's, whether you know the source or not.

It just seems more honest....

#222477 - 12/07/07 12:38 PM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I didn't see that as a problem..Mike stated he wanted to show the sound of the Sonic Cell..

#222478 - 12/07/07 12:52 PM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
On Mike's web-site, it said, "Here are some Christmas songs that I put together using my new Roland Sonic Cell PRO".

That's why I thought they were played by Mike.

Not a problem...just a bit confusing.

Ian

#222479 - 12/07/07 08:19 PM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Tom,

You want me to send you some Chestnuts? I work in Manhattan.

Also, try to imagine all the other stuff you've never tried in your 56 years. Makes you wonder.

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#222480 - 12/08/07 07:57 AM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Not to chide too much here, but it SHOULD be acknowledged whether something like that you post (anyone, that is) is your own work or someone else's, whether you know the source or not.

It just seems more honest....

Quite right. Much in the same way as quoting one's sources when writing a university paper.

#222481 - 12/08/07 08:21 AM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Al,

That sounds great. My address is:

Tom Cavanaugh
1210 Spencer Woods
Muskegon, MI 49445

For all you folks out there that are going to use that info to steal my identity, don't bother, steal Don Masons instead. You really wouldn't want to be me and Don has way more money than I.

Tom

#222482 - 12/08/07 10:53 AM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Back to your original question. I've been playing the song at gigs this week on the G70 using "UNpluged Schuffle " at mm 70

#222483 - 12/08/07 09:12 PM Re: Christmas Song on the G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have done it with about five or six different styles already this year. Keeps me on my toes.
Tonight I used a style called Wonderful Tonight, which was, of course, made for that song. It works great with other ballads too.
It's a slow 16 beat.
You're right Tom, I have made hundreds of dollars in the music business!
DonM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online