SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#222158 - 11/28/07 01:40 PM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Vocoders are just like synths... there are good ones, and bad ones. Just because Roland have one in the VP doesn't necessarily make it a good one. And the REAL fun with vocoders starts when you process external audio through them, rather than rely on their internal synths.

For some hip vocoder, check out Herbie Hancock on 'I thought it was you', etc...

Other good applications involve modulating pads and leads with drum machine or other rhythmical elements. The whole 'talking synth' thing is just the surface of what they can do.

#222159 - 11/28/07 04:04 PM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Mike, the effect used on Cher's voice on "Believe" is one of the weirder sounds that can be set up in the Antares Auto-Tune pitch correction plug-in.

#222160 - 11/29/07 06:43 AM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
Mike, the effect used on Cher's voice on "Believe" is one of the weirder sounds that can be set up in the Antares Auto-Tune pitch correction plug-in.

The question that comes to mind is was that effect intentional or were they trying to correct a vocal problem and got carried away? And of course decided the results weren't bad.

#222161 - 11/29/07 08:04 AM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Got a vocorder in the Midjay and a harmonizer in the G-70. Never used either live. I'll have to check them out. Let's see...a harmonizer....awful Russ vocal times 3 or 4? Works for me!

R.

#222162 - 11/29/07 10:15 AM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Primary use:
'talking' synthesizer effect..
'Around the World' by Daft Punk, 'Mr. Blue Sky' by the Electric Light Orchestra, 'Radio GaGa' by Queen, to name a few examples.

You can also get some interesting effects if the synth is modulated from a percussive source, such as a drum loop, or drum patten from a drum machine.

#222163 - 11/29/07 10:19 AM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSonicEnergyAuthority:
Primary use:
'talking' synthesizer effect..
'Around the World' by Daft Punk, 'Mr. Blue Sky' by the Electric Light Orchestra, 'Radio GaGa' by Queen, to name a few examples.

You can also get some interesting effects if the synth is modulated from a percussive source, such as a drum loop, or drum patten from a drum machine.

Odd you should buy a VP550 if you had no intention to use it to process your voice?

#222164 - 11/29/07 12:18 PM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSonicEnergyAuthority:
Odd you should buy a VP550 if you had no intention to use it to process your voice?

I use it in my "studio" to track fake background vocals. If you're a lousy singer (like me), it's a barrel of fun. I just don't use the two vocoders. You can do anything from "talk the vocals" to singing off pitch (as long as you turn down the "source" in the mix) and still get fairly good results.

chas

#222165 - 11/29/07 11:07 PM Re: What the heck do you do with these things?

Fair enough..

I believe it's based on the technology from the V-synth GT. I've seen the on-line demo, and it did sound impressive when in voice processing mode.

Vocoders do have a distinct sound, Roland are just supplying the effect, doesn't mean that you have to use it.
You never know one day, you might just have a use for vocoder effect.
I would love to have one to play around with, and I've been watching a few on ebay:
They I've go for stupid amounts of cash, or a nice and cheap, thing is I'm never around to bid on the cheap ones, and find out about them when it's far too late. One day..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online