SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#222124 - 11/28/07 11:07 AM Re: Cheesiest Ballads List............
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I'm with you on Oscar. By the way, he had a stroke a few years ago. Mnyone hear how he's doing? A guy named Bruce Martin, one of the best jazz players around here, traveled and studied with him in Canada. When Oscar came to UK Singletary Arts center in 1982, Bruce and I visited with him.

That's a night I'll always remember. He can add fine wine to any cheese.

Russ

#222125 - 11/28/07 11:38 AM Re: Cheesiest Ballads List............
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
From Wikipedia:
In 1993, Peterson suffered a serious stroke that weakened his left side and sidelined him for two years. However he has overcome this setback and is today still working on a limited basis. In 1997 he received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement and an International Jazz Hall of Fame Award, proof that Oscar Peterson is still regarded as one of the greatest jazz musicians ever to play.

In 2003, Peterson recorded a DVD 'A Night in Vienna' for the Verve label, which clearly shows that Peterson's age limits his technical prowess. Even so, his playing has lost but little of its charm, and he still tours the US and Europe, though maximally one month a year, with a couple of days rest between concerts to recover his strength. His accompaniment consists of Ulf Wakenius (guitar), David Young (bass) and Alvin Queen (drums), all leaders of their own groups.

Recently, he had to cancel his performance at the 2007 Toronto Jazz Festival, and his attendance to a June 8th Carnegie Hall all-star performance in his honour, due to illness.
Definitely one of the GREATEST !!!
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online