SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#221817 - 11/21/07 03:45 PM Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I can't locate any and was hoping someone would put up some demos mainly to hear the sound rather than musical ability.

I am hearing this piano sounds as good as any of the other Yamaha pianos. I would like to see that that is the case. I personally don't care for the sound from the onboard speakers and am thinking if it sounds as good as some say through speakers that I may want to get one.

Also, as I am more of an organist that want's to improve my piano chops, I am wondering if 76 keys really covers what a pianist would need or if 88 keys is a better deal.

Thanx
Scott

#221818 - 11/21/07 03:47 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Scott Langholff Offline

This would probably be a good one to send to Purgatory Creek so as to be able to compare with the others.

So far, my vote goes to Truepianos

#221819 - 11/21/07 04:36 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They had an NP-30 at Guitar Center in P'cola, the last time I went, Scott. No substitute for playing one yourself...!

I find the Yamaha's too brittle for my tastes, pretty much across the board. Roland get much warmer, better for jazz and ballads, classical, etc.. Truepianos is a VSTi, so to use it you need a laptop (pretty modern, at that) and a GOOD soundcard. In a mix, the Rolands come close enough for live, IMO, definitely good enough that it's better than the hassle of running a laptop fro your piano, live!

As to 76 vs. 88... Well, I survive OK with 76, the main hassle is getting that low C, used in a LOT of piano musics, and you have to lose the top octave to get it by transposing down an octave. But a lot of piano stuff can be played on a 76 (a lot of Beethoven and prior can be played on 76)...

The main thing for me is the generally poor actions on cheap 88 controllers. And the NP-30 is hideous, IMO, even for a 76. If you ARE a pianist, I think the action is more of a hindrance than the lack of notes! And if you want to learn at home (but not haul to the gig), my advice would be get a used, real 88 older sampled piano with MIDI on it (old RD or Yamaha, etc.), and hook it up to your T2, or get a Sonic Cell for soundsource...

Rather than go gaga over the cream of VSTi's, perhaps you should stick to finding what is the best HARDWARE pianos, and make your decision based on that. Unless, of course, you already are very familiar with the ins and outs of running VSTi's, and already have the hardware sufficient to run Truepianos, or Ivory, etc..

And, in the meantime, keep the pressure up on Yamaha to make you a 76 T-series (or even PSR). The fact that you are bumping your fingers up against the 61 barrier shows that many of us DO need more... Why tote around TWO keyboards, when one 76 will do the job?!

#221820 - 11/21/07 04:48 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hi scott,
i compared the np30 to a dgx300, i really couldn't tell the difference in sound and touch. both seem to have the same specs.
32 poly etc. the np 30 is just a straight
piano as the dgx has more features such as styles and (i think)more instrument selection. btw , i'm living in columbus ohio now, sure miss florida.
dave

#221821 - 11/21/07 04:53 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Scott,

I had the NP30 for a few weeks...sounds were good, action was passable....not a favorite Yammie of mine...I sent it back.

Then again, some people like 'em.

For me, the only keyboard for playing piano pieces is one with 88 weighted, hammer action keys...76 semi-weighted are a poor substitute, and will cripple your piano chops considerably.

Ian

#221822 - 11/21/07 04:56 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Dnj Offline

Scott I would suggest this for a portable...

fantastic sound and action...
I fell in love with the sound.

check the demo/video etc ..

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=666&ParentId=87

#221823 - 11/21/07 05:01 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Dnj Offline

This is my second choice...
http://www.korg.com/KMplay/WMplay.htm?path=http://video.korgusa.com/km/sp500.wmv

#221824 - 11/21/07 05:23 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Scott Langholff Offline

I did try the Yamaha P70. I was impressed with the action, the sound and the weight of 28 lbs. Although I'm not sure you could split the keyboard and have bass on the left. Anybody know?

The other thing that I have seen mentioned is that it has 32 note polyphony. This seems to scare some pianists away. Is that really such a big deal?

I also liked the sound and especially the touch of Yamaha's YPG 88 note version. Can't remember if it was a 525 or a 625, but it had a kind of semi weighted action, really a rather light touch. Being more of an organist I prefer that kind of touch and also for issues with wrist and hand.

Any thoughts on these?

#221825 - 11/21/07 06:01 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing is, Scott, the organ and the piano are two different beasts, and the touch for one is not the touch for the other. Primarily, it is getting sufficient resistance and mass in the key for good dynamics control, something that is a complete waste on an organ!

So actually TRYING to find a 76 or 88 with an organ-like touch is going to work against your learning control, not help. You don't necessarily have to go to a full 88 wood, but I would certainly look for something heavier than the NP-30!

I agree with Ian that it is difficult to achieve really good dynamics control on a plastic keyboard, compared to a REAL wooden 88, but I don't feel it can't be done. But you DO need a keyboard with a lot more resistance than the NP-30 (or a PSR!), unless your technique is already well developed. One of the reasons I have stuck with the G800/1000/70 action I've had for 15 years, now. The perfect blend of light enough for organ work, heavy enough for piano!

Polyphony IS a factor... especially if, as most newbie pianists do, you use the sustain pedal a little liberally..! P70/80 are good actions, but you are back to heavy wood again. YPG's might be good (they definitely feel better than the budget NP-30), but are kind of big. You want to gig with this or stay at home?

#221826 - 11/21/07 06:16 PM Re: Would like to hear Yamaha NP-30 demos
Stein67 Offline

I was completely blown away by the Roland RD700sx when I tried it for the first time at Music Ireland 07. Absolutely stunning!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online