SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#221694 - 11/20/07 09:03 AM Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

I was talking to someone who lives in a community where I have performed many times in years past......New Years Eve came up in our chat & I asked who is performing for you this year being Im already booked? She said "Oh this year we are getting a "JUKEBOX Service" that rents CUSTOM selected styles on songs & music. You simply tell then what kind of music you want & they LOAD the Jukebox with many of the songs you like....then the audience can pick & choose selections all night long for less then what you would pay for an OMB Entertainer, Band, or DJ, etc....
http://partyjukes.com/

Watch out people !!

#221695 - 11/20/07 10:17 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Maybe like other things in life, the 'music scene' will be cyclical, and at some point BANDS will replace jukeboxes ...
t.

#221696 - 11/20/07 12:09 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
then the audience can pick & choose selections all night long for less then what you would pay for an OMB Entertainer, Band, or DJ, etc....

There's a potential conflict coming up amoungst the audience.
Drunk 1 , wants country
Drunk 2 , wants rock
Drunk 3 , wants pop
Drunk 4 , wants hip hop
etc....
Drunk 10, destroys the jukebox

I would think twice if I was her....

Fred

#221697 - 11/20/07 01:13 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, we've survived DJ's, Karaoke, Soloists playing over tracks (some of us even survived disco).

Just another element to contend with. There are lots of music opportunities Not related to public performance at traditional venues(film scores, commercial music for jingles, etc.).

R.

R.

#221698 - 11/20/07 01:47 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Hey, we've survived DJ's, Karaoke, Soloists playing over tracks (some of us even survived disco).

Actually, from reading here, many of us DIDN'T survive these things (except disco!).

We turned into them...

#221699 - 11/20/07 01:55 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

Fred....
I doubt this woman would be inebriated shes in her 80's.....not all parties involve drunken behavior, especially here in NJ with very strict Drinking laws....maybe they can choose a Designated Jukebox Player for the evening Dont be fooled, between all the alternatives available for music such as iPOD DJ Artists, K Artists, family member artist, & every other wannabe many people look for price first over quality......dont be a copycat find your niche, & do it well...or look for a day job YUK!!

#221700 - 11/20/07 03:44 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

Just another element to contend with. There are lots of music opportunities Not related to public performance at traditional venues(film scores, commercial music for jingles, etc.).

R.

R.

DITTO!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#221701 - 11/20/07 06:32 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
For the first time this year we booked a couple of weddings where they just wanted a sound system and a way to plug in their ipods. Of course they wanted it delivered and setup and torn down but for the price they could have had entertainment.

#221702 - 11/20/07 06:43 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
For the first time this year we booked a couple of weddings where they just wanted a sound system and a way to plug in their ipods. Of course they wanted it delivered and setup and torn down but for the price they could have had entertainment.

So Im not crazy eh?

#221703 - 11/21/07 05:16 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

I read a an article that I think was published in the NY Times about the same topic. DJs were concerned because they were starting to lose business to " Do-It-Yourself " ipoders at weddings.

#221704 - 11/21/07 06:07 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

"iPOD J's" are poppin' up Everywhere get ready.

#221705 - 11/21/07 06:24 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
mikeathome1 Offline

Just let them rent your sound system. For the same price, you show up set up then come back 4 hours later to pick it up.
This of course explains my remark on this other thread http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016514.html
not that you have to agree just I'm seeing more and more of this kind of stuff.
The jukebox thing is new to me though.

#221706 - 11/21/07 09:05 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
We've been being replaced since I can remember. I've always been able to find a niche. It just has to last a few more years until I retire. And I won't retire until either I dont't enjoy it anymore, or for health reasons. Rock on!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#221707 - 11/21/07 09:07 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Not to start a controversy here, but this is one instance where the "music" factor trumps the "entertainment" factor. I think this phenomenon only affects certain types of venues, such as the special events (weddings, etc.) and dance-oriented venues. Jazz clubs will never replace live music with an ipod. Neither will "sun, surf, tiki huts, sand-in-your-crotch gigs like Diki's. Probably not the NH/Senior Center type gigs, either. I think it's nothing more that an el cheapo way of replacing what would have been a DJ's gig anyway. Man, Ipod entertainment. Disgusting!!!

Hey, maybe playing those SMF's and MP3's at what was supposed to be a "live music" event is coming back to bite you (Uh, that was the "controversial part). Maybe that "dumb" audience figured out that if you could do it, so could they. And cheaper. Just a thought.

chas

#221708 - 11/21/07 10:45 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
captain Russ Offline

Chas, well put. I agree!

R.

#221709 - 11/21/07 01:01 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wait til that Ipod or MP3 player goes out right in the middle of an important event. They will hire a pro next time.
MP3/Midi player is my third line of backup.
DonM

#221710 - 11/21/07 01:30 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
cgiles Offline

Next up....the virtual event. Just dial in on your iPhone and pretend you're there.

chas

#221711 - 11/21/07 01:42 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

#221712 - 11/21/07 01:44 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Three dimensional projection in your living room.

It's possible already but will take a powerplant of one small city to do one projection..

#221713 - 11/21/07 02:51 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would recommend sand in your crotch for just about ANY gig...

Seriously, though, if an iPod is taking your gig, you have just let yourself become too 'background'. The personality and dynamism of your show should transcend the music you play, and if you play gigs that WANT you to remain background, you are always one budget cut away from being replaced by Muzak, iPods or Sirius.

Stay away from these gigs, and make sure the audience knows (and can see) you are PLAYING most of what they hear. That way, you'll NEVER sound like a DJ... (and a DJ will NEVER sound like you!)

#221714 - 11/21/07 06:32 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

#221715 - 11/21/07 06:42 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If an Ipod takes your gig, you're obviously not an entertainer!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#221716 - 11/21/07 06:46 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

Gary maybe not fully replaced but severely compromised....especially by the younger crowds. Make sure your niche is SOLID!

#221717 - 11/22/07 03:38 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
mikeathome1 Offline

My concern has always been the next generation that grows up without live music.
If they've never heard a great live jazz combo how will they miss it.
I think about all the great local musicians that I heard at family weddings and parties how they inspired me when I was young.

#221718 - 11/22/07 04:03 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I was talking to someone who lives in a community where I have performed many times in years past......New Years Eve came up in our chat & I asked who is performing for you this year being Im already booked? She said "Oh this year we are getting a "JUKEBOX Service" that rents CUSTOM selected styles on songs & music. You simply tell then what kind of music you want & they LOAD the Jukebox with many of the songs you like....then the audience can pick & choose selections all night long for less then what you would pay for an OMB Entertainer, Band, or DJ, etc....
http://partyjukes.com/

Watch out people !!

As OMB players, we can not feel bad since we have been doing the same to a live band.

OMB replaces live band and MP3 player replaces OMB a logical progression.

Its only when you are the one being replaced you take the logic seriously.

When a OMB player replaces a live band (as we have been doing), we find all types of reasons to justify why we deserve the gig and not the live band. If it comes to a point when we are being replaced, would we still make the same arguments for the MP3 players that we have been making for our selves?

#221719 - 11/22/07 07:03 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Dnj Offline

Weve some what replaced live bands only because DJ's undercut us in the 70's & people will always go where the price is in their favor.

#221720 - 11/22/07 07:10 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Referring back to Charles and Diki, the mere fact that you exhibiting some musical talent and/or being an entertainer puts us ahead of the game in most cases.

A case in point, I do a weekly gig where there are two good singers using Karaoke machines and myself playing keyboard and singing. I always get more applause playing and singing, eventhough they may be better singers.

In my estimation, both are better than Ipod players, and presumably, most audiences think you too.
Bernie

#221721 - 11/25/07 01:23 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Nothing to worry about DNJ, this is just an example of someone who does not appreciate the added value of having someone (or more than one) performing LIVE music. Every bar uses CD's to have music for their customers. If they want to do something _extra_, they hire a performing artist.

If I would be at a party that would have a jukebox, I'd feel as if I might as well have stayed home and play my own CD's.

#221722 - 11/25/07 03:27 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I've been playing this disco type thing for a few years now quite successfully, along with live play - I marry it all together...live play; then midi tracks for my singer; then disco to finish off. All out of the same marvellous keyboard... (Technics KN7000 of course.) http://www.divasndisco.co.uk/

#221723 - 11/25/07 04:12 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Roger
Sounds good, and Wendy certainly adds a visual element as well. I see the Cambridge affair was well attended too.

Nice to see you posting.
Bernie

#221724 - 12/09/07 04:51 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
The arguments abound (using pre-recorded sequences vs actual "live" playing). One thing that I've found is that today's audiences are very "jaded". The day when you could lug a B-3 into a venue with a drummer are really over (sadly). Audiences now want solo entertainers to sound like 16-pc orchaestras, and really the only way to do that is to use either self-produced sequences or, if you're unable to do your own, professionally done sequences. Many people confuse the words "entertainer" and "musician". As a musician, I'd love to do everything totally "live" but as an entertainer, I realize that I'd sound awfully silly attempting to perform some of the tunes demanded by audiences, in a "totally live" manner. So, I've resigned myself to the fact that my performances will include some of each, "live" playing coupled with self-produced vocal back-up tracks along with some prof. produced sequences as well. Musical purists don't like this, but if you are attempting to make a buck or two at this, you roll with the flow....
Jim Helwig

#221725 - 12/09/07 05:36 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Helwig:
The arguments abound (using pre-recorded sequences vs actual "live" playing). One thing that I've found is that today's audiences are very "jaded". The day when you could lug a B-3 into a venue with a drummer are really over (sadly). Audiences now want solo entertainers to sound like 16-pc orchrestras....

Jim Helwig

Jim, I don't think this is universally true. Virtually all jazz clubs and most upscale venues want just the opposite; or at least, that's how it is in this neck of the woods (Atlanta). There is a wealth of top shelf musicians in this area and in the well-to-do northern suburbs of Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, Sandy Springs, Diluth), "live" means "live".

I play (sparingly - no more than once a week) as an organ trio w/guitar/drums and female vocalist in a fairly large jazz club that serves mediocre, grossly overpriced, food (or a mediocre restaurant that serves great jazz - take your pick) and the place is packed to the rafters with upper-middle class suburbanites in the 30-50 age range, 90% White, 10% "other" (which roughly approximates the local demographic). There are three other similar venues (one physically connected to a comedy club w/same ownership) where the situation is the same - packed houses every Thurs -Sat. In all cases, the featured bands range from 4 (like ours) to 7 pieces. The pay is decent but not earth-shattering. But the point is, you won't make more as a solo entertainer using canned backing because you'd never get hired; not in a million years. My point is, if you provide REALLY good music, there will always be an appreciative audience willing to pay for quality. I should mention, none of these places have dancing. I'm sure there are clubs in the area that do but I'm not familiar with them or who plays in them.

Just another opinion.

chas

#221726 - 12/09/07 06:19 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Aah now you are talking Chas...
That is what is referred to as Lifestyle Classifications here in the UK. Where the local culture is a driver for lifestyle behaviour.
The community of 2 similar sized local economies will behave very differently and their expectations will also differ considerably....and therefore their tastes.
The major supermarket operations not only undrestand this very well but all their daily performance data is presented in that format for their merchandisers and buyers.
What's all this got to do with music - well what goes down well in one town is a relative flop somewhere else with no obvious apparent explanation because the customers look much the same and dress much the same and are of a similar age mix...
Jim is feeling his way there and Elvis impersonations will work one place and not turn folk on somewhere else. It used to be called reading an audience but is now much more sophisticated.
Rog

#221727 - 12/09/07 04:18 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Chas....I respect your opinion, but you missed my point. I'm talking about totally solo keyboardists, like myself. No group, no other musicians involved. Unless you are truly a "big" name, like Lenny Dee used to be back in the day, a solo keyboardist attempting to play totally live, and sing too really doesn't work that well. Unless you're talking cocktail lounge gigs, and I don't happen to be a particularly good pianist, lol. Simply because I have the ability to sequence and produce my own vocal back-up tracks doesn't make me any less of a musician. I can still sit down at a B-3 and do a heckuva "Tico-Tico"...but this isn't exactly what most audiences want. With all the keyboard technology available, why not use it? Many players would be "lost" without the 1-note technology available now....they can still perform, use 1-note chords and sound fine. And honestly, I have no problem with that, never did. The majority of the venues that I play at involve dancing, which is very difficult to do playing live on a KN7000...so I use the available rhythm patterns when I play live. I refuse to apologise for using available technology as long as it is tasetful, and presented for entertainment purposes.

#221728 - 12/09/07 06:33 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Helwig:
I refuse to apologise for using available technology as long as it is tasetful, and presented for entertainment purposes.

Jim, no neet to apologize, especially to me. I'm not only a technology geek, but would be ready to "end it all" if the technology that I've gotten used to, suddenly disappeared. I guess I just meant that there is also a market out there for so-called "live" music (although limited). It probably is true that these "live" venues are becoming more and more rare, providing employment for only the top tier players (because of competition), especially in areas that are hotspots in the recording industry (Nashville, Atlanta, LA, NYC, etc.). I think the formula for success in this business is the same as it has always been; know your craft, know your market, and know how to market yourself (or get someone that does). Doesn't matter which approach you take (solo pianist w/vocals ala Bobby Short, OMB using everything that technology can offer, or part of a "live" band, just try to be the best of that type out there. That's the best assurance of always being in demand.

chas

#221729 - 12/10/07 10:10 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
captain Russ Offline

Better than 1/3 of my jobs are either just nylon string guitar (no vocals), piano (no or sparce vocals) or B-3 and Rhodes (some vocals and a drummer). These are for country clubs; usually coctail hour before a sporting event, or at an upscale restaurant.

Fun stuff and the pay is good. A limited market, and it would be difficult to live on the pay, but these jobs are there and the small number of people who appreciate it are really loyal.

I do them as often as I can.

Russ

#221730 - 12/10/07 10:25 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well most of the replies so far are well thought out and valid - so here's the opposite (MY reply - lol).

I think we've reached the point in this day and age (I'm talking mainly about Music here) where anything goes.

Any Genre.
Any Era.
Any type of entertainment.
From a 16 piece orchestra - if ya got's the money - to a 7 piece funk band, to a Jazz Trio, to a Duo, to a OMB all the way "down" to someone's Ipod and a big PA.

I don't think anything will REALLY replace anything else these days, audiences, the general public - hell, PEOPLE just want different things at different times and in different places.

That's what I love about living now - in the 40's we had Big Band, in the 50's Rock n Roll exploded, in the 60's Beat Groups, 70's got Heavy (disco in the latter part) 80's was downright horrible - I was THERE at least - 90's Grunge, and now the "naughties" 2000-? is one big fabulous melting pot with ALL these options available ALL the time.

Really, I think there's room for everyone these days - Ipods included.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#221731 - 12/12/07 10:41 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
re the topic: ANYONE WHO TRIES TO ACHIEVE A
SIMILARITY TO A RECORDING DESERVES TO BE REPLACED BY A JUKEBOX. and if that is all the audience wants from a live performer, plus a
bit of friendly banter, as many of you seem to feel, then they should by all means go juke.

but then there are those of us who play tunes the audience likes to recognize for sure, but
play them in our own style and fashion and with creativity and elan, and there will always be those who find that a lot more refreshing and interesting and inspiring than
listening to a jukebox. (we hope lol)

------------------
Miami Mo

#221732 - 12/12/07 11:33 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
hellboy44 Offline

Mo do you REALLY want to ignite this *ahem* "debate" again with that snide comment most likely directed at me?

I really did disagree with you in that "other thread" but let you have the last word anyway as I respected anyone's right to express their opinion.

Now I'm starting to think i did the wrong thing.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#221733 - 12/13/07 06:39 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Mo do you REALLY want to ignite this *ahem* "debate" again with that snide comment most likely directed at me?

I really did disagree with you in that "other thread" but let you have the last word anyway as I respected anyone's right to express their opinion.

Now I'm starting to think i did the wrong thing.

hellboy, i have been off LJ for weeks just got back and dont recall the other thread thing or snide comment. the one above was most certainly NOT directed at you, it was
my gut response to the topic subject. so if u want to take issue with it, do so on its
merits and forget what went before because i have. thanks

------------------
Miami Mo

#221734 - 12/13/07 06:55 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
keysvocalssax Offline

Hellboy,
i just reread this thread and see the only post you made was just before mine. i don't see anything in my post that remotely addresses anything you said except that it follows directly after yours. in fact I happen to agree with all that you said, and don't see how u can interpret what i said as a snide retort to yours. maybe you should email me privately with examples of the "other" thread that disturbed you and if i was unduly snide i will own up to it.

------------------
Miami Mo

#221735 - 12/14/07 07:36 PM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
hellboy44 Offline

Sorry Mo, been away gigging so my reply was late.

Email sent.

HB

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#221736 - 12/16/07 02:09 AM Re: Will we be Replaced by a JUKEBOX Next?
jetgraphics Offline

Loc: Temple, GA USA
Speaking of 'sound system' rentals, there's another subversive revolution in DIY sound systems.

Check out: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

They're blasphemy, heresy, and against all laws of nature... (not really).
:-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online