SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#221319 - 10/16/04 05:09 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
The PSR3000 has so much versatility in recalling registrations that is makes the MFD cumbersome for me to use.

The registrations call up the transpose, the style and settings, the midi song if used, along with the intro / ending, style, tempo, voice.......stored on any source on the keyboard: Preset mem, Internal mem, Smartcard and 2 usb thumb drives I save all my registrations, named with the songs that I perform, on the smart card (which never leaves the Keyboard.) This is the master list which is alphabitized. I then make a copy of the registrations into folders by categories: Country, Bigband, Pop etc for request by genre. Before a gig I will also create folders called set1, set2, etc and place a copy of the songs I know I will be performing based on prior experience and routine.

I used my 3000 last Friday, and the system worked like a charm. No glitches or embarassing wrong key, intro etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry

#221320 - 10/16/04 06:59 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Music Finder! I don't need no stinkin' music finder.
Seriously, it seems to take me longer to open the mf, select the song, turn off the auto OTS button, than it does just to select a style, set the tempo and play.
Or maybe I'm just lazy.
DonM

Jest all part of the agin' process!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#221321 - 10/16/04 10:18 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Scott is to be commended for supplying so much info about the music finder...

However, I got my registrations saved by song titles...and I can be from one song to the next within a second or two...

Further, I have to admit I have yet to use any of the Tyros's ability to interphase with my computer at all. I have a hard drive in my tyros...and back up all my user registrations to that...

The music finder is confounding and something at least at this point in time, nothing I feel compelled to use any time soon...

I play in full keyboard mode...everytime I play with the MF, the keyboard gets split and begins to cough & choke on my chord voicings.

I won't even go into the havoc it wreaks with my harmonizer, lol...

I will allow, however that Scott may indeed be smarter than me however, lol...

Bill in Dayton

#221322 - 10/16/04 05:51 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Beakybird Offline

I also have save registrations as a song title. Registraton button #1 pulls up the style and all other parameters. Registration buttons 2-8 pull up additional OTSs. I almost always use button 1 for a piano or electric piano voice, 2 for harmonica, 3 for saxes, 4 for organs, 5 for flute or trumpet, 6 for vibraphone, 7 for guitars, and 8 for brass or accordian.

This seems to work best for me.

I like the Music Finder to learn new songs. I will use it more when Yamaha comes out with a keyboard that will store transpose and other registrations in the MFD.

I think, however, that Scott has a pretty clever thing going.

Beakybird

#221323 - 10/17/04 07:49 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I think that what Scott suggests is a good method. Thanks for sharing this, Scott.
If one has an extensive repertoire and wants to react quickly to requests, this seems the best option.

However, if you make many changes in the styles (like different instruments ao) - and unfortunately some things are only saved in the style - you need all the userstyles at hand. With an extensive repertoire you need room for that.
Of course Tyros has a harddisk, but as Scott says the styles on the harddrive can not be utilized in the MF - it is understandable if you talk floppydrives, but with a harddrive it should be possible. Maybe a software change could correct that.

I am still exploring the keyboard and I am still not really certain what is saved where, but I think in some cases the registration is necessary to save a few settings. I think that's why Scott uses an R to remind him of that. But which registrationbank? It would be nice to have a certain registration bank attached to a song in the Music Finder.

In two cases I really need the registration. It's because of the Bossa Nova style.
First of all I can only play Bflat6 if I change the splitpoint to G2 (instead of F#2) - or else you get a Gm7, which is something entirely different.
Secondly, the piano (chord2) gives me problems with some chord changes. So I set the Piano channel off (chord 2).
Both are only saved in registrations.

Of course I can loose the Piano (or edit it)by editing the style and save it as a userstyle. But as far as my knowledge goes the splitpoint can only be saved in the registration.

Some things can not be saved at all, like OTS link and Auto Fill In.

(The problem with the piano is the chord change from Fmaj7 to F#7-5 or from Gm7 to F#7-5 - the piano plays a F# that is not desirable.)

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-17-2004).]

#221324 - 02/03/05 06:06 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Just a word of thanks Scotyee for the advice in this thread, I use the Music Finder all the time.

Zalmi

#221325 - 02/04/05 08:07 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Zalmi, glad you found my Music Finder topic thread of interest. I utilize the Music Finder feature as my ONE STOP place (in the keyboard) to organize & call any song in my song repetoire collection (currently 600+), and use 'Music Finder View' to print up custom playlists targeted for different clients & audiences. When you have hundreds of songs in your repetoire its the best way to go for spontaneous 'on the fly' type performances. I'm finding my newly acquired MusicPad Pro: http://www.freehandsystems.com/products.html to be a terrific companion to the MusicFinder. After calling up a song in Music Finder, I can quickly pull up its corresponding lead sheet by merely tapping my finger on the MusicPad Pro's touch screen a couple of times and presto. I have all my songs on the MusicPad Pro stored folders named: A, B, C, D, etc. . . so all I have to do is merely finger tap on the corresponding folder, then select (finger tap) the appropriate song in the song list that appears. My MusicPad Pro unit reflects all my songs in MusicFinder, keeping all my music organized & stored in ONE convenient location. No more having to search thru your fakebook collection or your thick heavy & dog eared leadsheet lyric binder(s) for that song you just can't remember all the changes to or whose lyrics have simply slipped your brain. My core repetoire consists of about 200 songs, but there are many hundreds of others which I know as well, but less inclined to perform 'on the fly' without lyrics, chords, or leadsheet for guidance. The MusicPad Pro provides near instant access (2- 8 seconds) to ANY song sheet in my digital music collection, and I'm finding this unit no more an onstage audience distraction than the pop screen on my Tyros. I'm finding the MusicPad Pro an extremely useful device (both at home & on the gig) & hope its features can eventually be integrated into a arranger keyboard someday soon. Now that would really be COOL (and useful too I might add) . - Scott

#221326 - 02/04/05 09:25 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Neat system you have scott, you've deffinately got a better OS in your head than I do, I've considered trying to use the music finder, but went back to registrations, but I have only the 9000, probably don't have as many bells and whistles.

My biggest gripe is I wish yamaha could have allowed more typing room for descriptions on the main screen, even better on the space showing what registration etc, It would be wonderful if it had a button you could push and a drop down with room enough to list about 10 other songs. I find one registration settup will usually fit many other songs, most of the time I can usually bring a couple to mind, ie: finish a tune do a little turn around while switching to another variance, and maybe transpose up a half and without stopping play another song. Problem these have to come from my head, (sometimes I draw a blank) be nice to have a drop down list to pick from or to jog the memory......HEY YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING!

Pose

#221327 - 02/04/05 10:47 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Does the Tyros music finder, be the same as the PA1xpro songbook?

#221328 - 02/04/05 08:22 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott,
I have tried to set the system I used with my KN7000. (Panel Regs) After a good bit of invested time I have come to the conclusion that --------
Mr. Scott yee is right!!!
Your ideas are good -- sooooo -- I'm following your thoughts on the Music Finder.

Once again, thank you so much, John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online