SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#221096 - 02/18/02 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha 9000Pro - Harddisk-problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations. That is a very neat solution that will save a lot of time. Thanks for sharing that.
Eddie

#221097 - 02/18/02 12:56 PM Re: Yamaha 9000Pro - Harddisk-problem?
thomas.boenes@c2i.net Offline

Hi, 9000 Robby! :-)

I have verified the pins and all that, it's ok. The harddisk seems fine... But maybe it's the operating system of the keyboard... I have the version 2.01, the latest one (the version 3 is for the 9000).

Well, when I press the DISK DIRECT, I have to wait for 5 minutes until the disk is ready (the disk-in-use starts flashing and so on...), when I press the DIRECT ACCESS - and then press the DISK DIRECT, I'm taken to the correct pop-up-folder on the harddisk, and I press Next to confirm the location... Then I have all the styles on the screen. Then I can press the Disk Direct button as often as I want to (or use the registration buttons), and everything is ok...

The disadvantage of this solution is that I have to do this little routine every time the keyboard starts up. But, if there isn't any other solutions...

Just in case: The problem is with a Fujitsu MHN2100AT harddisk / harddrive (maybe the best English word?), and the device is cleared by the Yamaha of Norway...

Regards,
Thomas

#221098 - 02/19/02 11:51 PM Re: Yamaha 9000Pro - Harddisk-problem?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi Thomas
I have been following your agony and thought I should throw my two cents worth in.
1. I have an installed 10GB hard disk with 4 2.2 GB particians as per the 9000PRO manual.
2. The hard disk was formatted originally using the 9000PRO operating system (I think version 1.3). I experienced none of your problems regarding access times.
3. Since then, I have upgraded the OS when they became available and am now running the current 2.1(?) version, with no access performance problems.
4. The access times to the hard disk from disk access or pop-up is about 3-5 seconds, consistantly.
5. From my experience with adding hardisks into computers - access performance problems can be attributed to some hardware set up problem or fault. The cable connecting to the hard disk may be faulty, or not connected correctly. The hard disk itself may be faulty. To check these if possible take out the hard disk and cable and install it into a "normal" pc. Running disk tools like nortons etc over the disk would then indentify if theere is a problem and the source of the problem. The disk may actually run properly in the pc. This would then suggest that everything is OK in the disk and cable hardware and perhaps point to the keyboard motherboard or keyboard operating system as the problem. To check that out ask your friendly local dealer / technician to run diagnostics over the keyboard's motherboard.
One other thought - did you format using the 9000PRO operating system format utility, or was the disk already formatted and set up before its installation? I would make sure that the disk was formatted with the standard 9000PRO operating system.
I have heard and read about disks of certain brands and manufactures not operating properly in the 9000PRO. I have not experienced that. Maybe I have been spared the drama. Just recently I took home from work an "old" 2GB SCSI drive to see if the thing would connect through the 9000PRO SCSI port. Blow me down, it did, first up and without a problem, and, with about 3-5 second access time. I now use it to back up my internal hard disk. The point here is that on both my internal hard disk and SCSI disk they were nothing special - just what was availbale at the time. This tells me that the 9000PRO is reasonably tollerant (foregiving) as to which manufacturers hard disk is used. So thus I would not suspect hard disk compatability to be your problem. Usually they work or they don't.
I am sorry for being long winded, and not giving much good news. However I believe from my experience, your problem is abnormal and is also fixable, with the help of your own persistance and some friendly local expertise.
All the best in your struggle,

Jon.

#221099 - 02/20/02 06:40 AM Re: Yamaha 9000Pro - Harddisk-problem?
thomas.boenes@c2i.net Offline

Hi, JonPro! :-)

Thank you! :-)

My harddisk is formatted by the 9000Pro Operating System (v. 2.01, that is - I guess).

I just wonder, do you link the Disk Direct function to a folder on your disk - or not? That's what I do.

And I'm a professional Computer / IT dealer (don't know the English word for it), so the harddisk is normal, I guess. I have checked that out - of different reasons, most because there is nothing wrong with it. (But I wondered if there was...)

Then, again, pressing the Direct Access and then the Disk Direct - and confirming the path to the styles - fixes the problem. I have to do this before I choose a registration in which there is harddisk-styles (or before i press the Disk Direct directly...)...

Thank you for your posting, please tell me more if you have another great ideas! :-)

PS! I'm sorry, but my English is just very, very poor... :-)

Regards,
Thomas

#221100 - 02/21/02 11:41 PM Re: Yamaha 9000Pro - Harddisk-problem?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi Thomas,
To answer your question - yes I do link a folder to the disk direct function. The OS needs that. That is why all my setups (MDB etc) that require a disk direct style of registration are all in the one directory (folder) so that the system knows where to look. I then index them accordingly so as not to loose the order. The biggest fallback I have found with using disk direct rather than flash ram is that you don't get the OTS in the disk direct - I can appreciate why - loading time during performance etc. so its not an issue. I hope that this sheds a little more light on the topic.
Jon.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online