SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#220699 - 07/17/03 08:19 AM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
The "Vintage Phaser" sample reminded me of the same sound that the Rolling Stones used on "Fool to Cry" or to a lesser degree, "Sad Eyes" by Robert John.

Nice samples.

mike

#220700 - 07/17/03 08:23 AM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
What do you all mean by "recognizes chord in ROOT position"? I am not sure I understand.

If I have a phrase in chord of F Major and wanna do minor A with the same phrase... will I be able to do it in Motif ES? Or not because of the ROOT thing? Please explain.

Thanks.

Yes it will New Yorker. The problem I am talking about unless I've missed something along the way is that the Motif ES won't recognize the 1st or 2nd inversion of the "Same" chord, eg., C Maj, D, E, etc., within the "Arps" (and I am ONLY talking about Chord recognition as it applies the Arpeggiator). And if you're in F Major and wanna change to Am, no problem, as long as you play the Chords in their Root Position. The Arpeggiator can only Arp a Phrase, Loop, etc., and only have Chord recognition when the Chord is played in 'Root' position only NOT the "inversions" of a Chord. Hopefully they will provide an OS update in the future to correct the situation but I won't hold my breath. It is a limitation we may have to live with unless we can convince Yamaha otherwise. And they heed our advice...

Best regards,
Mike

#220701 - 07/17/03 08:32 AM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
Idatrod, thasnk you for the answer. But let me clear this: are we talking about chord recognition in ARP only? What if I do not wanna use arp? Or maybe ANYTHING can be in ARP and played?

#220702 - 07/17/03 10:22 AM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
Clif Anderson Offline

Chord recognition only applies to arps. If you don't use arps, there is no need for chord recognition (except when using a harmony plug-in board, and it probably sports its own chord recognition).

From what I understand, let's say you have an arp phrase that spans the major scale--e.g., c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c. If you play a single note "c", then that scale will play. If you play two notes c-eb, c,d,eb,f,g,a,b,c will play. The Motif ES chord recognition can be used to modify thirds, fifths and sevenths in this way.

However, if you play g-c-eb (which a Tyros will treat as a C minor second inversion), I think the Motif will only play notes in the C major scale or, depending on mode, maybe a regular arp, e.g., g-c-eb and octave transpositions thereof. This is how I understand it, but this is not what most users are going to want. And, of course, Scott can forget about rootless jazz chords on the Motif ES.

#220703 - 07/17/03 12:00 PM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
trtjazz Offline

New Yorker,
Maybe you get it already but if not, here's what the deal is:

If you play a C chord.... root position...CEG there will not be a problem (with any chord root position) however if you play that same C chord in a 1st inversion EGC the arp on the new ES, will not recognize that as a C chord, it will more likely recognize it as an E....because the root (first note is an E) or if you play a 2nd inversion GCE it will most likely play it as a G chord (and not a C chord 2nd inversion)

This only applies when using the arppegiator all the chords need to be played in their root position if you want the chord properly recoginzed C = CEG Am = ACE etc. The first note, needs to be the root of the chord.

At least that's the rumor, we'll have to see when it actually comes out.

Hope that helps.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-17-2003).]

#220704 - 07/17/03 12:40 PM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
Man, Don't Yamaha knows that people would pay extra $500 for a little chip that would do all like in normal arrangers? Or is this chip is made of gold with brilliant on top? I just don't get it.

#220705 - 07/17/03 07:00 PM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's much more than just the chip - there are button layouts, design features, pattern memory. Arrangers are different animals.

#220706 - 07/17/03 09:03 PM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
Clif Anderson Offline

Even though the Motif ES is not aspiring to be an arranger, it seems silly to implement chord recognition in a pro instrument and not be able to handle inversions properly.

(I deleted my chord analysis for e-g-c as it was probably wrong.)

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 07-19-2003).]

#220707 - 07/23/03 10:40 AM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
The Grand Piano on the Motif ES is taken from a Steinway D Grand Piano, the same one the S90 was taken from.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't pass this up. Niether the S90, nor the MOTIF ES Grand Piano is a sample of a Steinway D. The S90 Grand Piano is from a Yamaha S700 and the MotifES is from a Yamaha CFIIIS.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#220708 - 07/23/03 02:33 PM Re: arranger type features , in the new Motif ....I just got off the phone with
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Another case of mis-information floating around the internet. PS: It was from a reliable source too! Glad you straitened that piece of information out Steve.

I still say it SOUNDS like a Steinway D. Or at least it's getting close to that ideal.

Wonderful, wonderful, simply Grand!!! Piano Voice.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online