SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220678 - 07/30/03 05:05 PM anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
I'm curious, b/c I've recently been having problems building my own styles on the 9kpro. the complaints about the sequencer on this thing are, alas, ringing true for me. anyway, wondering how folks get around this problem -- just by importing styles (like, even, the surprisingly good Ibiza styles in the 2100, which I haven't found for sale anywhere...) or buying a seperate drum unit (solton xd3 or zoom or roland drum machine) or, not the most space efficient solution, adding another brand of arranger to the rig.

thanks in advance for any thoughts/insights/advice....

#220679 - 07/30/03 07:10 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tom,
Are you trying to make bizzare beats that are unconventional?
In not, and you're just after variety - try Jammer or Band In a Box. They offer tons of midi ready beats that the Yamaha will play.
When you get tired of the 9kpro ... gimmie a call !

#220680 - 07/30/03 07:22 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I felt the same way tom moon. After I while I just didn't care for the drum kits and set up for style recording on my PSR.. My wife surprised me last year on my birthday and bought me a Zoom MRT-3 drum machine. I use this all the time. The kits on this drum machine are way better than the ones on my PSR. The Zoom MRT-3 is currently the cheapest fully editable drum machine you can get.. They go for $99.00 Of course when my wife bought mine they were selling for $119.00, and at the price still a great bargain.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#220681 - 07/30/03 07:38 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Unfortunately Tom, the Yammie boards all seem to be lacking in descriptive "step by step" instructions on how to make your own Styles in their Manuals. If they made it easy for everyone to make their own Styles, then they wouldn't be able to sell near as many of their own Professional Styles on their web site. Yamaha makes a fairly good profit I would imagine, from the sale of their own Styles. It has been a complaint for years and years that Yamaha's User Manuals aren't worth the powder to blow them up when it comes down to where the rubber meets the road- "in hands on descriptive how-to's in their User Manuals", they are VERY lacking. That's where these and other User Groups (Forums), come in very handy.

Tom, I'm going to give you some good advice on where to get some "really good Styles" for your 9KPro. This is what you do:

Go to this URL address: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/ Sign up to join the Yahoo Styles Group on that link. It is immediate, ie.,- (no waiting period to be approved) and also completely free. After you sign up begin by reading some of the posts to get familiar with your surroundings and post a message or two explaining your need for User Styles for your 9KPro. Also check out the "Files" area where there are "many" Styles available. NOTE: Be aware that you will need Styles that are 'compatible' with your 9KPro so search for those that are. Also check out the "Links" section. The first two links at the top of the Links section will take you to the Style Vault Archive where you will also find a wide selection of different Styles.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mike

#220682 - 07/31/03 07:30 AM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
hey all and thanks. I have visited that site and grabbed some things in the past. haven't been there since tyros so maybe there's new stuff...
UD, not really trying anything too unconventional, just wanting swing beats that aren't too ricky-ticky and uptempo dance (the electronica style known as drum-and-bass). had some luck using the onboard sequencer building off existing styles, but from scratch it's not all that intuitive -- in fact downright un-creative at times. I'd say the sequencer is the only thing I DON'T like on the 9kpro, which I still find to have amazing sounds. I plan on trying the korg if/when it arrives, and I will let you know if by some miracle it makes the yammy less attractive. I do remember thinking the korg sequencer was easier to navigate...

#220683 - 08/01/03 09:31 AM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tom, the place to go is http://psrtutorial.com
Joe Waters has an excellent site dedicated to PSRs. Besides the many styles, you will find good, clear exsplanations on how to do just about anything with your PSR. Good luck.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski - Motown
PSR2000, SC88, Cakewalk

#220684 - 08/01/03 12:41 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
Dnj Offline

Tom....

My son is a profesional "Drums & Bass" DJ for years....
he works DJ shows all over the east coast.
An Arranger KB is not the way to go for this type of music. He uses REASON http://www.propellerheads.se/
to make all his beats and tracks. I would look into this program for your needs.

#220685 - 08/01/03 02:47 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tom,
maybe you could edit the existing drum styles to get what you want by finding one that's close to it. Existing drum styles can actually be edited in the keyboard ( including in steptime), whereas the other parts of the style ( bass, etc , have to be re- recorded from scratch. You also have the option of style assembly editing where you can mix n 'match style parts from the various styles onboard.

Documentation on creating styles is far from great, but it can be done.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#220686 - 08/01/03 06:09 PM Re: anyone use a drum machine instead of onboard styles?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Tom,
Are you trying to make bizzare beats that are unconventional?
In not, and you're just after variety - try Jammer or Band In a Box. They offer tons of midi ready beats that the Yamaha will play.
When you get tired of the 9kpro ... gimmie a call !

I agree. What's more, I've been able to easily create some pretty unconventional drum beats in Jammer pro. That's the primary reason I use it... for creating difficult drum parts that I can't always play very well, in real time, in a fraction of the time that I would otherwise need if I were to manually sequence. Of course there is more to Jammer than that, as it can be used to create other instrument backings and melodies, and even entire songs, but I use it mainly for rythym parts. It can create as simple or as complex as I want, and can lend itself well to creaion of dance and electronica type music. It'll do all kinds of bass lines too.

BIAB has the style creator, ( with a drum machine type grid ) and although it takes me longer to create the type of drum parts I want than Jammer does, it is still a lot easier than manually sequencing all of it.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-02-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online