SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220362 - 02/20/03 03:44 PM vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
MusicJohn Offline

Loc: Garner, NC, USA
Hi Everyone.

I have been considering a PSR2000, but my reasons is the harmonizer.

Is it any good? How does one use it on a job? or on recording? Can I separate it out form the Key sounds?

I hope to use the 2K for recording and for performing. The harmonizer would help on both.

Any info is a great help. You have come through in the past.

Thanks ahead of time.

------------------
MusicJohn

#220363 - 02/20/03 03:53 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
trtjazz Offline

John,
Harmonizers is something I am going through at the moment. I have a TC Helicon Voiceworks on order.

The answer to your question though is I think like any other sound question. What I hear to what you hear. Many are satisfied with the on board harmonizers or the digitech. To me they are ok, but just that. They still have a donald duckish sort of it's a harmonizer not live singers sound to it to ME.

TC Helicon has demos on their site you could listen to and judge for yourself......they are very proud of their equipment $ wise though, but they are the best most realistic in pretty much everyone's judgement. http://www.tc-helicon.tc/

As far as Seperating the sound out, yes you can if the 2000 has 4 outputs, mains and subs, then the mic can be sent to the sub out while the rest of the board can run through the mains or visa versa. That way you will have seperate tracks on the recording. The other option for recording would be to lay down the accmp, then go back and lay in the vocals.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-20-2003).]

#220364 - 02/20/03 04:30 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
The PSR 2000's Vocal Harmonizer is pretty decent. But if you didn't think it was up to snuff for you, you could buy an external unit such as the TC-Helicon Voice Works, or Voice Prism. The Voice Prism sells for $799. I am not sure how much the new Voice Works sells for. The Voice Prism blows the socks off of the Digitech Vocalist VR and probably any other Vocalizer on the market right now. The Voice Works is brand new from TC-Helicon and it incorporates their newest technology although I have not yet seen any reviews of it on the internet. Another option is to opt for the Yamaha Tyros which has a better Harmonizer than the PSR 2000 from what I've heard plus you would be getting 128 note polyphony versus 64 on the PSR 2000 plus many other enhancements on the Tyros. But the Tyros does not have internal speakers as you probably already know. And the Tyros's USB implementation is rather quirky and has a slow transfer rate. Depends on what your needs are of course and how much you want to spend. You might find the PSR 2000's Harmonizer sufficient enough.

Best regards,
Mike

#220365 - 02/20/03 04:45 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
trtjazz Offline

The Voiceworks is $700.00 I'll post a review of it that is if it ever gets here. It's the Tyros deja vu saga all over for me...waiting for the Voiceworks to hit our shores.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#220366 - 02/20/03 05:44 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
MusicJohn,

I've been very happy with the PSR-2000 for live performances and recording and consider it among the best keyboards for my purposes. The keyboard's built-in vocal processor, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I've spend hours trying to tweek it to perfection, but to no avail. It still does not have the quality of my Digitech VR or Midi-vocalist. Keep in mind that no vocalizer, no matter how much they cost, sounds as good as the human voice. The best advice any of us can give is to use the device sparingly and keep the harmony levels to a minimum.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#220367 - 02/20/03 07:41 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Terry,
Medley Music has the VoiceWorks in stock. Call and ask for Dom - tell him "Uncle Dave sent ya"
610-527-3090 (it MIGHT be 537-3090)
They also have a site .... I thinkit's planetmedley.com

#220368 - 02/20/03 07:43 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh yeah ...... Music John,
The harmonizer in the psr2k is OK, but NOT separate from the rest of the mix. You'd have to be able to overdub your audio to record it by itself.
None of the built in units compare to the external processors. The Digitech VR is a very good, cost effective entry, and the new TC Quartet is slated to be a competitor in the lower price range.

#220369 - 02/20/03 08:30 PM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can hear some live recordings of it on my website. www.donmasonmusic.com
DonM

#220370 - 02/21/03 03:34 AM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Terry,
Medley Music has the VoiceWorks in stock. Call and ask for Dom - tell him "Uncle Dave sent ya"
610-527-3090 (it MIGHT be 537-3090)
They also have a site .... I thinkit's planetmedley.com

Dave,
Thanks, I'll follow up on it. That's odd though, because I called a contact at TC Electronics and they told me they do not have any yet and they are the only US distributors.

I checked out their site and they don't even list TC Electronics or helicon as one of the brands they carry though.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-21-2003).]

#220371 - 02/21/03 05:41 AM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Musicjohn,

I have the Voiceprism plus. As well as harmony and doubling this gives voice modeling and digital connectivity (SP/DIF etc)which is a must for recording.

If you read the user reviews on this unit at Harmony Central website (http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/) you will see that most users think this unit is great but there are some that think it is too noisy. The secret is to use a good quality BALANCED mike. Condenser is best if you are recording but I use an old dynamic EV with no problems at all for both live and in the studio.

Terry above is right - this and the other TC-H products are 24bit rather than the 16bit digitech and AR internal units and I think this shows in the quality. I have used both and the voiceprism is far superior. If you add the extra board or buy a Voiceprism Plus then you can alter the shape and sound of your lead voice and become anyone between Barry white or Mary Poppins (If that grabs you) - The voiceprism is more of a gigging instrument (sorry UD) than the voiceworks which is better at correcting those "wrong" notes in the mix.

You have to use these effects carefully and in moderation but it is far easier to leave the munchkin / Donald Duck / Speedy Mouse coices behind.

Live in harmony - KF

#220372 - 02/21/03 05:54 AM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
MusicJohn Offline

Okay, I think I have heard enough. You guys have been real helpful. I listened and read the TC site and learned a lot.

I am dissapointed that the vocals does nto separate from the mix on the 2K. Real disappointed.

I am going to have to think this through a little more. I may opt for the 1K instead and get a separate harmonizer. Unless I can get the 2K for a great price....OR...

I may just be satisfied in using the 2K's voice for performances. WE'll see!

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it.

------------------
MusicJohn

#220373 - 02/21/03 07:04 AM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi,

I have come into this thread without having the time to read it thoroughly but have you considered the PSR9000 which has outputs to
Main,Sub1 ,Sub2, and Sub1 + Sub2 through an MS50 or through others perhaps?
I can direct song via mic in this way.

cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 02-21-2003).]

#220374 - 02/21/03 07:09 AM Re: vocal harmonizaers...what to expect from one? How good are they?
MusicJohn Offline

Yes, I have, but I can barely afford the 2K. Therefore, as always, one must compromise.

Thansk anyway.

------------------
MusicJohn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online