SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220345 - 08/25/00 05:09 PM Style File Size PSR9k
Clif Anderson Offline

What is the limit on the size of a style file played from disk on the PSR9k? On my PSR8k, I cannot play style files larger than 40K from disk without loading them into a custom style slot. This is a pain, since many of the excellent converted Solton styles are 48k and 64k.

#220346 - 08/26/00 04:10 AM Re: Style File Size PSR9k
UlrM Offline

I don't know if there is a limit for using the DiskDirect funtion. Personally I have successfully loaded styles bigger 64kB.

The problem on the 9000 sems to be a limitation in loading styles to Flash. It's not possible to load styles bigger than 63kB into the Flash style section.

Ulrich

#220347 - 08/26/00 06:37 AM Re: Style File Size PSR9k
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Ulrich

Well, then, it sounds like there are a lot of good 64k Solton styles that cannot be loaded into the PSR9k flash. But why is it that so many of my Solton styles have sizes that are multiples of 16k? Maybe the conversion program set the file sizes bigger than they need to be. If the files could be reduced one or two k, more Solton styles could fit.

My understanding is that the capacity for 100 custom styles on the PSR9k assumes 16k styles. If 64k styles were loadable, the number of custom styles could be as low as 25. So maybe not much is lost by excluding them. Still, the choice should be the users.

Attn: Arranger manufacturers. Solid-state style file storage needs to be increased by an order of magnitude or two. There are already 2000 PSR style files free on the Internet; this number might grow rapidly as many users are developing style-making skills. Just give us a slot for a (non proprietary) flash memory card that we can purchase to expand style capacity. There should be no file-size limitation, or at least raise it to 256k.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online