SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220326 - 11/19/02 12:43 PM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have a foot pedal that has 5 pedals, I have one for start&stop, one for the stop sync start for like a Rockin robin tune, one for fill 1 one for fill 2, one for full keyboard on & off. I use them as needed.

There are a bunch more I can assign to the pedas but these I seem to use most.

Do other keyboards have a footpedal with 5 or more pedals for this purpose. I can't handle looking at the keyboard to push these buttons. I hadn't been doing this for 30 years.

#220327 - 11/19/02 01:06 PM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yes, but 'multi pedal units' are typically optional accessories. The 'Yamaha MFC10 multi foot pedal controller' has TEN foot switches (pedals), but it doesn't stop there. It also supports multiple banks so you can have a total of 100 foot switch assignments. Frankly, I just stay with the one bank of 10, that's more than enough for me to handle.

#220328 - 11/19/02 02:24 PM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I use the fills on a "as needed" basis, and it's intuitive, NOT planned or reasearched.

I totaly agree with Daves approach, I only use two Boss pedals, 1-Vocalizer/2-Sustain. All other fills, controls, multipads, etc, are done manualy on the KB when I feel like using them during a song. Makes for a more spontaneous,live sound letting the performer be more creative every time. Less is More IMO!

#220329 - 11/19/02 03:00 PM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I'm playing a lot of notes at a time usually - probably 4 in each hand - so you can't hear too much of the rhythm anyway. I tend to stick to one variation (A). The fills on the PSR740 (at least in the styles I use) are two bars long so probably on the last chorus I trigger the C variation two bars before the start of the chorus so I'm back in the regular rhythm as the last chorus starts. Bit old-fashioned I know but then I'm an old square. So I am an almost worse but not quite.

Bryan

#220330 - 11/20/02 07:26 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Helllloooo Scott,

Like you, I use the MFC10 to trigger fills. During the various sections of a song I typically trigger the break fill on either the second or sometimes on the 3rd beat in the measure. I like to save the larger fill to introduce or end the chorus. I also use the large fill for the last section of most songs. To my ears, it just makes the last section sound climactic. I also like to close a song by pressing the large fill and then quickly hitting the fade button. Fading drums is an interesting sound and my old drummer used to end some of our songs in a similar manner (I always liked it).

I move through a variation with each new section of a song. Sometimes, I'll start with variation A, then move to B and C as the song progresses, then (depending on the song) move to either D or back to A for the ending stanza.

Scott, thanks for sharing your "style" of playing with the forum. I always find your tips and ideas useful and intuitive.

Don't even think about stopping the sharing of your ideas! That's what makes this forum great and keeps everyone coming back. I'm still waiting for your "tips" guide.

Regards,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 11-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 11-20-2002).]

#220331 - 11/20/02 07:44 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, I've been really trying to think about how I use the fills and how to explain it.
It mostly depends on the song. I use the Break button and the Intro 1 a lot on songs that have real breaks. Examples are Blue Suede Shoes, Tutti-Frutti, Kansas City, Mustand Sally, Boo's Rockin Robin, etc. Sometimes the Rock n Roll style in the 2000 lends itself to certain of these songs and then you can also use the Variation 1 and 2 for some of the breaks. Examples are Your Mamma Don't Dance, Ain't That A Shame, Don't Be Cruel (intro).
On other songs, I almost always autofill to the variations as the song builds to chorus and back. Some fills and variations of course work better on certain songs.
The Yamaha fills are very intuitive and almost always sound as if they fit. It is still a pain to have to manually remember and select which endings to use, but it has now become almost automatic also.
I don't find myself using the fade in and out very much. I can think of a couple of songs only. Fade in on Susie Q, Fade out on Amarillo By Morning. There are surely a couple more, but most of the time I like the song to have a finality to it, especially with dancers.
Lately, mostly out of boredom, I have experimented with some of the Multipad settings to augment or vary the styles. I find myself using Guitar Strum on some of the 4/4 country and blues ballads. For Hank Jr.'s Blues Man, I use the Love Song style, mute the style piano part (bring it in later) and begin with the drums, bass and Guitar Srum multipad on. This changes the style in effect from a piano style to a guitar style.
Just some examples if anyone cares to experiment.
DonM

#220332 - 11/20/02 09:00 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hi,

I do not know how that functions at Yamaha but on the PA80 there is a usefull feature (at least for me): you can assign the starting of a fill-in to the velocity on the keys. So if I want a fill, I just play a chord a little harder and the fill goes.

Moreover each fill can lead on any variation. And each type of
sequence can be different in each performance. Thus all depends on the
programming of the performance.

Generally I use the fills between the musical parts (higher variation) and the singing parts and when I change song.

Multi pads : NO, for me they can remove this function

I use them generally on the first beat of the last measure.

I prefer good drum fills than musical ones

STAM

#220333 - 11/20/02 09:14 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevizard:
Scott, thanks for sharing your "style" of playing with the forum. I always find your tips and ideas useful and intuitive.
Don't even think about stopping the sharing of your ideas! That's what makes this forum great and keeps everyone coming back. I'm still waiting for your "tips" guide.

Hey Steve, thanks for the thumbs up. As far as tips go, Joe Water's PSR2000 page is where you'll find most of mine, and many of them are applicable to the 9000 and Tyros as well. Btw, speaking of the Tyros, I'm looking forward to upgrading to it (from the PSR2000) in order to gain increased MFC10 functionality, specifically MFC10 foot pedal control of the Yamaha 'multi-pads', which unfortunaely, the PSR2000 doesn't support.

Everyone: I'm throughly ENJOYING reading about everyones unique approach to arranger keyboard playing and hope we can continue talking about arranger keyboard PLAYING itself, and not just about what keyboard to buy next. Irregardless of what specific arranger kb brand/model you own, arranger kb playing 'technique's pretty much universally apply across the board, so we can all benefit.

Please keep this 'drum fill & variation' topic flowing. Still a LOT of people to hear from.

- Scott

#220334 - 11/20/02 09:40 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Irregardless of what

IRregardless? That AIN'T even in the dictionary, are it?

#220335 - 11/20/02 09:54 AM Re: Utilizing Drum Fills & Variation Changes in Live Performance
Scottyee Offline

Definition of 'Irregardless', in the dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irregardless

I'll admit I wasn't an English Major (flat). But Music? Now THAT's where I'm SHARP.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online