SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#220299 - 10/16/05 06:53 AM Re: flr2006 & GM
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I have placed my order for Bandstand and B4 II. I expect delivery in about 28 days as indicated by NI.

I will let you know how well it works....especially Program Changes.

#220300 - 10/16/05 08:04 AM Re: flr2006 & GM
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Frank,
I have Alive also. It's great. Only reason I mentioned Vienna is that it's free and I think part & parcel of Audigy soundcard ( at least it was with mine).

I think I'm going to revisit Kenneth Rundt's Synthfont. I just dl'd the latest release yesterday.

It's a freeware ( actually donationware now ) that claims to " mimic the behavior of SoundFont compatible hardware/soundcards like SoundBlaster Live! or Audigy and SynthFont is (almost) modulator aware, which Live! is not " ( as quoted from the synthfont page at KVR ).

If anyone else wants to give it a look : http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1030.html

AJ

#220301 - 10/16/05 08:18 AM Re: flr2006 & GM
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks for that Frank. If it really gets raves, I'll probably go for it. In the meantime, I'll continue to work on modifying the sgm-180 soundfont as time permits me.

I never tried Colossus, but every other GM module I have used has one issue or another that keeps me from using it as a live solution.

Hypercanvas is fine, but the overall sound palette isn't my taste. Hypersonic, even though there was a GM update, still has issues with patch and bank changes. USB's GM module sounds very nice in a lot of instrument types, but doesn't support midi and program changes at all.

The vast majority of my other modules, samples, and Vsti's do one type or group of instrument(s) very well, but don't do the range of GM instruments.

The only other alternative is if I could find a way to make a style automatically open up a particular setup or template that I store in a host like Chainer or FL studio. I'm guessing that there is a way if I could write a piece of addon software or insert the proper commands into the style itself, but I don't think I have the programming skills required to make it happen.

AJ

#220302 - 10/16/05 09:50 PM Re: flr2006 & GM
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
at the moment I'm going through the insane process of pulling apart all my soundfonts and saving them as individual instruments. A bit like a patch library.
Quite interesting really, to note that a couple of my really large fonts use individual samples for each of the instruments, wheras in the smaller fonts, quite a few of the instruments share the same samples.
I suppose it's a lot of work , but at least I'll be able to put together a font that suits, by having large samples for instruments I use regularly, and small samples for ones that I don't.

Gosh, I wouldn't have anything to do if I found a perfect soundsource ( haahaa) Be intersting to see how you go with it Frank.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B] In the meantime, I'll continue to work on modifying the sgm-180 soundfont as time permits me.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#220303 - 10/17/05 05:38 AM Re: flr2006 & GM
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, you may as well spend it.....time and money. You can't get into trouble when your busy.

Yes, I am looking forward to the NI Bandstand. It would be nice to have a high quality GM Wavetable for the Auto Accompaniment. I still plan on using the very high quality instruments & kontakt for my melody or lead voices.

#220304 - 10/17/05 06:09 AM Re: flr2006 & GM
to the genesys Offline

I am also thinking of going over to the software arranger set-up and have a few questions.

With any of the software arranger programs is it possible to create styles from scratch?
Are rootless chord recognized with any of the software arrangers?
Is it possible to use wave loops with the style and have the loops synch with the tempo changes of a style?
How easy is it to get access to the individual style tracks on the fly in a live situation i.e. adjusting volume muting or soloing a track.

#220305 - 10/17/05 04:52 PM Re: flr2006 & GM
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally posted by to the genesys:
[B]I am also thinking of going over to the software arranger set-up and have a few questions.

With any of the software arranger programs is it possible to create styles from scratch?
OMB http://www.1manband.nl/

How easy is it to get access to the individual style tracks on the fly in a live situation i.e. adjusting volume muting or soloing a track.

OMB has a mixer page that opens up.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online