Loc: Penn Yan, NY
....anyone got a Q-tip?

(Love ya, Douggie !)

#220213 - 09/20/03 02:57 PM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Five octaves from C to C measures 32 and 1/2 inches on the PSR2100...Same 5 octaves on Roland G1000 measures 33 and 1/2 inches..this is not a senile difference..

PSR9000 is 32 1/2 inches over same five octaves and you know it is a big heavy dude
Bebop

#220214 - 09/20/03 03:40 PM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
thanks idatrod for your reply,obviosly this is a bigger problem than i first thought in regards to playing a G, Fsharp and Gsharp ,one or both of these notes playing accidently,it was only this subject that came up, was what made me mention it,i doubt if this will ever be resolved,because if this has been the standard for many years,then it,s not going to change,i have a lot of respect for all of you who have been in the business for years,i am starting to be aware of the problems that a lot of you had many years ago ,that i am finding out about now,it,s funny that when new members who come onto the site ask the same sort of questions i asked over a year ago,i can relate to them,anyway keep up the good work,mike

#220215 - 09/20/03 04:04 PM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well said, Grandpa.

It is the time to name things by its name.
It is the time to tell what someone thinks, not only good but bad, about Yamahas.

Size and feel of keys is not a thing without importance, is all a symbol of minness in saving plastic, the cheaper part of the keyboard!!!.

And a symbol of Yamaha phylosophy. And, besides, a deceit. A deceit to future pianists that begin playing a Yamahas. Why Yamaha don't use similar size as Korg, Roland, Technics keyboards, and standar acustic pianos? Why don't use a better feel key???. What is better in that smaller keys? Nothing... Steve don't give a reason for it.

If Yamaha want to make smaller keys and bad fell keys, it should to be announced with a note in each keyboard: "this keyboard has smaller keys than a piano and keyboards of other manufacturers". That would be sincerity, to hide it is deceit.

Is it a inche more in plastic something so expensive, Yamaha? May Yamaha ruin by it?

Why, Yamaha, Why?.

Only my h opinion

[This message has been edited by Artaher (edited 09-20-2003).]

#220216 - 09/21/03 05:29 AM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
steve,maybe now is the time to start taking notice of how the yammy keyboardists feel about the width of the keys,after all most of these are pro,s and when it comes to buying a new board they tend to compare the pro,s and cons of all the top boards and make you and us aware of the bad points,and its their views which guide us ,not the manufacturers,i know we are the minority at the moment ,but that could soon change with the internet growing so fast,it,s good to be the market leader ,but even better to STAY there, give the people what they want,the customer is always right,mike

#220217 - 09/21/03 07:27 AM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Strangely enough, I never noticed the keys were smaller, but I never was a piano player.
I did, of course, notice that the Roland G800 keys were totally different, but they were too hard for me to play--made my fingers sore.
I played quite a few Technics models and didn't notice the difference. And I have big hands too. Maybe I'll check out some other brands when I get a chance, just to see if they are easier to play. I'm looking for reasons not to buy Yamaha, but so far the pluses have out-weighed the minuses.
DonM

#220218 - 09/21/03 08:22 PM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
DonM, when you say you are looking for reasons not to buy Yahama you scramble my brains. Most people buy things because they like them, including myself. I do know that my neighbor has a similar problem. Her husband hollers at her all the time because she buys things with her credit card and they are having one heck of a time paying the thing off. She started to look for reasons to not buy, buy and buy. If I was her old man I would tear the darn thing up. She, as far as I know, has no problems with brand names like you and your apparent dislike for Yamaha. She has just the opposite problem. Seems it’s with Fanny Mae, being her biggest purchase, she is trying to find reasons not to buy so much. It’s not only swelling up her credit card debt, but her also. I can understand my neighbor and her Fanny problem but why are you looking for reasons not to buy Yahama. You must of liked it in the first place or you wouldn’t have bought it. What has changed your mind? Could be you are confused, kind of like a love hate relationship. If we can be of any help just let us know but it would help to know why your looking for those kinds of reasons.

Grandpa Doug

#220219 - 09/21/03 11:11 PM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
DonM Offline

Doug,
I just still have a bad taste in my mouth over the PSR2000. It had bugs that they wouldn't acknowledge, even though they tried to come up with "fixes" and the OS was advertised as being software upgradeable, and when it was delivered it wasn't.
However they still have most bang for the buck of all the keyboard I have access to try.
There are no Ketrons, GEMs or Rolands within a couple hundred miles, as far as I can find.
Technics doesn't have a mic processor to suit me.
I didn't like the Vocal Harmony on the Korg PA80, and it had limited fill-ins and breaks.
Plus it didn't know much Country/Western.
I'm afraid to order a Ketron sight-unseen because I'm not certain I'll be comfortable with the location of the fill and variation buttons. The X1 had them on the right-hand side and I'm too old to have to learn to reverse everything. They appear to be better-located but I need to personally try one.
GEM's Od-Odys-Odyssey whatever, is really heavy, plus I haven't been able to arrange to play one. Maybe they'll come out with a portable version, but for now . . .
That just about leaves Yamaha. At least they are dependable and I know them inside-out. The U.S. support people try hard, but they really don't seem to have any clout at all with Japan.
DonM

#220220 - 09/22/03 07:34 AM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
DonM, thanks for your reply. Yes, I don’t blame you for a bad taste in your mouth. However I think all manufactures at times have their faults. But I see your point here, seems they came out with a downright reprehensible lie about that upgradeable thing. Oh well, I guess we live and learn, but it’s hard. Don’t feel bad. In the whole of the great Chicago metropolitan area there is nowhere to be found some of those keyboard brands that you mention. On the other hand it don’t bother me much because they would most likely be hard to find repairs for anyway. As far as technics not having a mike processor, no contest. They don’t!! Did you read this bit of news on another thread a day or so ago? Quote from Tony W: ”a good friend of mine and an avid technics fan said that he heard that Technics were in discussions with Digitech over the possibility of joining forces for the next board much like korg have with tc helicon on the PA X. Might be an interesting development”!

If that is true, in less than a year this keyboard market could explode considering all of the new technology Technics has introduced with their last offering. Yamaha makes some great stuff. I can’t understand why they are so bullheaded in some areas such as key spacing and crappie feel of the keys. Is it really because they are bullheaded? Might it be they have a long term contract with the people who produce their key assemblies and can’t break the contract? Time will tell I guess. Also I don’t see the necessity for lying to sell more keyboards as with the upgradability thing with software. Maybe they are slipping behind and feel it is necessary! Who knows? My advice is save your bucks for another ten, eleven months when we will see all the new offerings from these guys. My personal feeling is that a few will drop by the wayside while there will be a big separation of the men from the boys. Don, that is the best I can do at the moment. Just remember, getting stuck in a rut is not good. Makes no difference if it be your music or what makes it, or anything else for that matter. Success is for those who pursue it through effort. Disappointment is for those who pursue it through deception. That might just be why you are disappointed in Yamaha and have a bad taste in your mouth. You know what Confucius say: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! Anyway Don, thanks again for your response.

Grandpa Doug

#220221 - 09/22/03 07:47 AM Re: PSR 2100 or Tyros
DonM Offline

The keyboards are just tools of the trade. I really don't go crazy about any of them, and generally change about once a year, IF there's something out that's an improvement.
The 2100 does everything I need it to do, but I'm always on the lookout for something that will do it better or easier. The Tyros would be better, and I may get one, but not until $$$ situation gets a little better.
Don

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online