SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220119 - 09/30/00 06:01 PM EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi all,
Have just bought (yesterday) a EM2000 and am very pleased with it so far. For the past twelve months have been using a Korg i40m module hooked up to my Technics digi piano. My problem (bet you saw that coming :-))is that the em2000 has no mic input (the korg has a vocal harmoniser built in), so I have dug out my old digitech that I used to use with a kn5000 I had. When it was connected to the 5000 it worked straight off. Did not have to modify any midi settings.....the thing is that with the Em 2000 this is not the case. When in arranger mode on the keyboard the digitech changes chord at a rate of knots with every nuance of the arrangement even when I have not changed the chord on the keyboard. (There I explained that well did I not :-) ) For anyone who has not lost the will to live after reading this far, and may have some experience of such things, I would be grateful for your advice.
I suppose I could just connect the korg to the roland but after realising i still had the digitech I don't want to be beaten and would like to put it to good use.
Many thanks in advance :-)
Tony
(Who never uses one word when six will do :-))

#220120 - 09/30/00 07:21 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Tony

You are outputting the autoaccompaniment to the digitech instead of your fingering on the keyboard. I am not familiar with Roland's, but hopefully there is a way to change what you are transmitting on the channel that the Vocalist is responding to. You want to transmit the keyboard out, not the autoaccompaniment.

Clif

#220121 - 09/30/00 09:16 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tony, you didn't say which model Digitech Vocalizer you are using. I own the Vocalist Workstation EX (use it with my Technics KN5000), but I think that all models operate more or less the same.

Be sure to select the "Key and Harmony" mode on your Vocalizer. Make sure that the midi receive channel (midi in) setting for "Key and Harmony" on the Digitech Vocalizer is set to the "SAME" midi channel as you assigned on your EM200 keyboard for sending arranger chord data (midi out). Make sure that the midi channel you select is NOT being already used (on your EM2000) for sending out note data, controller data, etc. The midi channel you assign must be dedicated for arranger chord data ONLY.

In addition to checking the above settings, make sure that you DON'T connect the "midi-out" on your Vocalizer to the "midi-in" of the EM2000. This could possibly cause a midi "looping" problem which may produce similar symptoms that you descibe.

Good Luck,

- Scott

California (SF Bay Area), USA

#220122 - 10/01/00 09:51 AM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Wow!
Thankyou all for your replies. I will try your suggestions this afternoon and try to get it sorted. Am not very technically minded but what I lack in ability is usually compensated for in tenacity :-) (Like a dog with a bone)
Will let you all know if I manage it, but if it takes a while ...worry not! I will be immersed in the manuals of said instruments. I intend to tell a responsible adult where I am going as I have heard tales of those who have gone into such manuals and have never been heard of again :-)
Thanks again
Tony
(...blowing the dust of the digitech manual and getting all excited)

#220123 - 10/01/00 06:18 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Hello all :-)

After spending the whole of sunday and much of the early hours of this morning (i am in the uk) trawling through both manuals and delving deep into the menu's of both the Roland and the Digitech I am close to insanity and suffering from premature hair loss.

Please can you wonderful people save me 9probably from myself) and help with these few questions.....I know it is prob simple but so am I it seems :-0

1. How do I find out the basic midi channel that the Roland transmits over/on?

2. How do I find out/ which channel transmits key change data.

3. Does the digitech need to be set to program change...midi notes....or midi chords in order to recieve the key change?

Have tried experimenting with variations of the above but to no avail. The closest (in fact the only), response to anything I got from the digitech was if I set the basic midi channel to omni, key change channel to 2 (which appears to recieve data from the bass line) and midi chord. The only thing is that the digitech changes key with each note the bass plays, usually a variation of three within a chord. ARRRRRRGGGGHH.

I have probably overlooked something really simple here but you know how it is when you have been at something for hours...everything is merging into one big mess in my tiny mind:-(

Any help would be most appreciated (and will probably save the digitech from a third floor bungie jump :-) Do they bounce???

Tony
(c'mon or the digitech gets it :-)))) )

#220124 - 10/01/00 08:11 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems attempting to hook up your VM5 to your Roland EM2000.

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. How do I find out the basic midi channel that the Roland transmits over/on?

Typically the basic (universal) midi channel that Roland transmits is channel 1.

Tony, I don't own the Roland EM2000 keyboard but there should be a button on your keyboard that takes you to the midi settings page. To avoid confusing you it might be best if someone else on this board who actually owns an EM2000 to guide you to the specific settings page where you can both set and check the midi transmit channel for arranger chord transmition. I think the midi channel for transmiting "midi chords" should NOT be set to the same midi channel as the basic midi channel (1).

2. How do I find out/ which channel transmits key change data.

Tony, "YOU" set this yourself. Just be sure to choose a midi channel which is not being used already to tranmit note, controller, or any other type of midi data (including the basic midi channel).

3. Does the digitech need to be set to program change...midi notes....or midi chords in order to recieve the key change?

The Digitech MUST be set to "Midi Chords".

Tony, if you are still having troubles, here is the customer service web address of Digitech Corp:

http://www.digitech.com/contact.htm

Just fill out the online customer service request form outlining your problem in detail and they should (with luck) be able to help you. Be sure to tell them that you are using the VM5 with a Roland EM2000. You might also try emailing Roland Corp as well.Unfortunately I don't know the web address for Roland Tech Support.

Best of luck,

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-01-2000).]

#220125 - 10/02/00 03:43 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Hello Scott,

I thank you for your reply and for your patience :-) I have not sorted the problem yet but am getting nearer I think.

You will be pleased to hear that the digitech has been reprieved for now :-) However should it continue in it's attempts to humiliate and intimidate it's owner I will pour super glue in it's midi ports and chop it's leads into small pieces and mail them to Digitech with a ransom note :-)

I think I have been at this too long:-)

Thanks to all
Tony
(it's either prozac or Bacharac I need....both cheer me up :-)

#220126 - 10/03/00 10:36 AM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Uncle Dave,
I too enjoy the "Four Freshmen" type harmony and I'm looking for a harmonizer to go along with my G1000. Which model of harmonizer do you use? By the way The Four Freshmen are still very active and have been continually since 1948. I just caught the latest incarnation of the group in concert last Thursday. WOW! They are something special. Also, they have a nice web site at www.fourfreshmen.com

#220127 - 10/03/00 06:56 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Hello Uncle Dave,

Am thinking of changing the VHM5 for something a little more up to date. Besides which the thing is driving me insane. Not usually one to blame the tools for lack of ability I am convinced that the thing is wonky as after following all the various advice from you and others it still sits there in Cmaj laughing at me.

I have read a little about both the workstation ex, which I believe is discontinued or soon to be and the new Vocalist vr which is a rackmount. The vr is retailing for about £350 here in the uk whilst workstations are going for about £300. So pricewise there is not much between them. Which in your opinion would perform better with the EM 2000.

The main consideration for me has to be user friendliness..... I am sure you don't need telling this, after all the evidence is above in glaring HTML ;-)

Thanks in advance
Pest
(formerly known as Tony) :-))

#220128 - 10/03/00 11:10 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tony,

I chose the Vocalist Workstation EX over the Vocalist VR because it can sit right on top of my keyboard (directly to the right of my KN5000 keyboard's pop up screen. This way the Vocalist Workstation Ex's LCD display is easy to view and the volume/EQ/harmony balance controls are easily accessible for quick on the spot adjustments. Because I don't usually utilize the KN5000 internal speakers, my Vocalist unit can easily sit on top of the keyboard and cover some of the speaker grill without problems.

I realize that your Roland EM2000 may not have enough real free space to place the Vocalist Workstation on top of it. Because of this, the Vocalist Workstation EX may not be for you.

The main problem I have with rack mount units is the awkward accessibility to both viewing the display as well as the inability to easily make harmony, EQ, and volume changes (tiny knobs/buttons). Especally if the rack unit is located on the floor or away from eye level and out of easy reach.

I really appreciate the Vocalist Workstation EX unit because of the ease of being able to make quick accurate changes via quickly accessable sliders. For me this is important (especially during a live performance) because mic/keyboard/harmony balances often need to changed quickly at a moments notice.

As far as learning curves go, I think both units works pretty much the same. Also, as Uncle Dave did said, the Vocalist Workstation EX has more capabilities. In my opinion, the Vocalist Workstation EX is actually the most "user friendly" because it's (slider type)controls are much easier to use and display easier to view. The bottom line is that you need to figure out which one (EX or Vr) will work best for you.

That's just my perspective,

- Scott

California (SF Bay Area), USA

#220129 - 10/04/00 07:20 PM Re: EM2000 / Digitech vhm5
Tony W Offline

Hi Uncle Dave and Scott,

Thanks for the advice I think after taking both perspectives into consideration I shall have both ;-)
Nooooooo not really I am going to see if I can get my local dealer to order both then I can have a good look at the pair together... see which is right for me.

Knowing him as I do he will try to flog them both to me, but in for a penny in for a pound as they say.... tho they probably say in for a cent in for a dollar in your neck of the woods :-))

Thanks again
Tony
(secure in the knowledge that pennies and pounds are still pennies and pounds and NOT euro's ) :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online