Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220104 - 09/14/04 06:48 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
When I started learning piano some 40 (ulp)years ago it was "Classical or nothing" so I didn't hit a tune I recognised for two years, until I had done the "basics" (scales, learning to read music, etc etc). Luckily I could play by ear anyway so I could bash away at something I sort of knew to avoid getting really hacked off at the formal stuff.

I recognize this totally. I had accordeon lessons for 9 years and could never have stayed that long if I couldn't play what I wanted to play - the popsongs of those days. The first song I ever played without lessons was True Love (1956), because an uncle brought an accordeon for me. Later on I taught myself Beatlesongs from my records. I did the same for other music too, because the arrangements I had to play were simplified scores and I wanted it to sound like the records.
I agree that if you totally depend on notes, music lessons will not satisfy. Although nowadays things have changed a bit. The arrangers are a big help and so are the fake books.

------------------
drdalet

#220105 - 09/14/04 07:04 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Mullikin:
So, Uncle Dave, and all others who would not mind imparting some knowledge to a novice, what would you recommend as a good video, or other method for helping to learn to play? I have a great keyboard (Genesys) and all I do right now is, pick out tunes with one finger, and play along with the included styles. I would like to learn to use all the fingers on both hands and all the capabilities of this great instrument. I am 67 years old and would like to learn how to play compotently before I turn toes up. Many thanks to all who provide answers to this query.

Jerry Mullikin

I'm no expert. All I can tell you is it was dramatic. Simply learn how chords are made up. Majors, minors, 7ths, augmented, diminished, etc. And inversions. Play around for a couple of weeks and you will be amazed. I promise, Jerry, it's the key.

In two weeks, if you read a lead sheet that says...

G Em C D
Am C D G

You will be able to play it with your keyboard and you will amaze YOURSELF.

Majors and minors first. That'll take care of a bazillion songs.

#220106 - 09/14/04 08:19 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For all of those who wish to learn specific chords, you'll find the easiest lessons at http://psrtutorial.com/Resources/R_ChordSecrets/r_chordsecrets.html

I play by ear, but I still needed to learn some specific chords. This was the place to find them. No boring tapes, books or anything other than simple chord instructions. Give it a shot--it's free.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#220107 - 09/14/04 08:30 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
By the way, when I recommended learning chords, I meant how they are COMPRISED. What MAKES a major chord, a minor, etc. With ANY note as the root. In other words, basic theory.

Not that C, E, G makes up a C-major chord or whatever. But that it's root, 4 semitones up, then 3 semitones up from there, and THAT makes a major chord. Etc. I couldn't tell you right now what makes up a G# major chord without thinking about it and counting the semitones but I could reach down and play it.

#220108 - 09/14/04 09:25 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. I was just trying to understand Paul's thinking. Getting involved with keyboards, synths and music in gereral has never been portrayed as easy in any places I've ever been. On the contrary .... it's a skill position that requires talent. It's not like typing .... anyone can learn that eventually, but to be a musician requires a gift before you get started. To recognize and accept that gift is the first step toward the journey of playing music. (not just notes) After that .... how far yoyu take it depends on how strong the gift is and how hard you work at perfecting the skill.

I've seen "how to" videos in the stores but I can't name a good one for you. Ask the music shop owner for a recomendation, or ask to speak to the keyboard teacher about ideas. Studying music is so much more rewarding than studying history or math. The fun factor is built right in, and the gains are instant in many cases.

One more thing ...... push yourself AWAY from the pc and get out and WATCH some performers at thier craft. That's a great way to get excited and learn ideas and tricks for your own performance. You got to SEE it to believe it. Get off line and get OUT in the world a bit. Music is meant to be shared. Now, go share some!!!!!

#220109 - 09/14/04 11:13 AM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Nothing good comes easy. If this wasn't the case, then everyone would be able to play the keyboard.
It is like saying,"I want to be able to hit my drives straight at 250 yards most of the time right away". It won't happen.

If one has the sincere desire and passion to learn, even without current talent, it will come in time. For most, it takes about 10 years to reach a respectable level of profiecency. There are no shortcuts, so learn it the right way, work with a music teacher you feel comfortable with.

If there was no crap in learning how to play, or swinging a golf club, then it wouldn't be fun.

#220110 - 09/14/04 12:24 PM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by N9FAL:
Nothing good comes easy. If this wasn't the case, then everyone would be able to play the keyboard.

Well put, but I would've added the word 'well' to the end of the sentence too.

Scott

#220111 - 09/14/04 12:32 PM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My standard response to people who say "I wish I could play an instrument" is "... if you start learning today, in 5 years you will say you've been playing for 5 years ... if you don't start today, in five years you'll be saying "I wish I could play an instrument" ...

As for the scales and stuff... having never had formal piano training, I wanted to 'play better' ... nice chords, chord substitutions, etc. One night I heard this piano player ... he was great!!! I asked him if he taught and he said yes, so I went for lessons ...
The first night I told him I only wanted to learn better chords, etc. and did not want scales, exercises, etc. He wrote out some chord changes to a standard tune, showed me some stuff, and I went home to practice ... I got nowhere with the piece and when I went back 2 weeks later he simplified it and said "you don't want any scales or exercises, right?" I said no, and went home to work on the tune ... the same thing happened ... when it happened the third time and I again heard "you don't want any scales or exercises, right" I got the message ... You can't have one without putting the time in on the other ... Scales and exercises form the foundation ... and you can't build anything without a foundation ...

Unfortunately the demands of the 'day job' got too great and I had to quit the piano lessons ... but I'll get back to it one day ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 09-14-2004).]

#220112 - 09/14/04 01:28 PM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by N9FAL:
even without current talent, it will come in time.

No way. You gotta have the gift first. Music is more than just mechanical repetitions of exact pitches in rhythm.

#220113 - 09/14/04 03:37 PM Re: Instant Piano for hopelessly busy people
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I respect many of you pros out there including UD and others and will always want to learn. If one knows lots of chords and how to use them correctly. Does that mean one has a talent ?

Or does talent mean one has to be able to compose new songs ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online